My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the old reservoir going to funnel rain water towards your shop?

I had the same thought viewing the pictures, but from a different perspective ...

Could the concrete foot print of the reservoir feed a catch basin which then flow into a cistern?

On the farm, all the downspouts from the house fed a buried cistern near the house. If there was a fire, the local fire department would pump out of the cistern as an added water source. Plus there was sizable break on home insurance for having such a water source available to the fire department. For family use, the cold water used for laundry was plumbed to come from the cistern. With it being rain water, the soap was much more effective which is why it made sense to plumb it just for laundry use.

Probably not needed as options in a suburban environment, but might be a great way to water a suburban lawn free of water restrictions while having a reservoir in case of fire as a perk.

Is the old reservoir going to funnel rain water towards your shop?
I think I get this question almost as often as, "What in the world was that for?"

No. It is a dish. The drain is on the opposite end. The floor of the old res slopes toward the drain. And the shop is a couple inches above the grade of the res floor. The front of the roof drains over the res (as you can see) which has turned out to work very well for drainage.

I had the same thought viewing the pictures, but from a different perspective ...

Could the concrete foot print of the reservoir feed a catch basin which then flow into a cistern?

On the farm, all the downspouts from the house fed a buried cistern near the house. If there was a fire, the local fire department would pump out of the cistern as an added water source. Plus there was sizable break on home insurance for having such a water source available to the fire department. For family use, the cold water used for laundry was plumbed to come from the cistern. With it being rain water, the soap was much more effective which is why it made sense to plumb it just for laundry use.

Probably not needed as options in a suburban environment, but might be a great way to water a suburban lawn free of water restrictions while having a reservoir in case of fire as a perk.
I have thought about that, Larry. I considered a big cistern in the woods outside the res where the drain comes out. Then a couple solar panels and batteries to run a small pump just for watering the lawn.
I must be giving up tens of thousands of gallons of rain water to Silver Creek.

I think I get this question almost as often as, "What in the world was that for?"

No. It is a dish. The drain is on the opposite end. The floor of the old res slopes toward the drain. And the shop is a couple inches above the grade of the res floor. The front of the roof drains over the res (as you can see) which has turned out to work very well for drainage.
Great project. It will be rewarding to you. Make sure the drain on the other end stays open😊

Great project. It will be rewarding to you. Make sure the drain on the other end stays open😊
I have had a clog once. A 2 liter bottle from the contractor blew into the drain sump and then a bunch of leaves stacked up behind it. There was about 8" of water in the res but that still did not encroach on anything important. I pulled the bottle and the pressure was amazing. Pretty sure it cleaned the drain pipe of any other issues that day.

I do check it regularly and in 2 years that was the only time I have had an issue.

I found you Hugh! So this is where to come and see how this thing is progressing.

This week looks like prime metal hanging weather. Hope they get some walls up for ya.

I found you Hugh! So this is where to come and see how this thing is progressing.

This week looks like prime metal hanging weather. Hope they get some walls up for ya.
Me too!

Progress is progress.
20220606_182326.jpg

I was hoping the windows would be low enough I could open them without a stool but the latches are about two inches too high. No biggy. I did not want them where someome could easily look in. I will put a blind on the window by the man door.

Dude said that the 6 panel door was the last he could find anywhere.

Last week he told me they would put all the doors and windows in and finish the porch roof in one day, then put the walls up in a day to a day and a half.
Today he told my wife his goal is to finish by the end of the week. I call BS. :lol:

I was wondering how your building was coming. If he shows up with metal and a crew he CAN have it finished by the end of the week. But, he has to show up first! The windows and doors look good!!

We had some more rain rhis week and our contractor has advised he has been having real trouble getting concrete for some other jobs. When it is available he jumps on it. So nothing since Monday. He advised he would be here this coming Monday and apologized for the delays. At least he is communicative.

We had some more rain rhis week and our contractor has advised he has been having real trouble getting concrete for some other jobs. When it is available he jumps on it. So nothing since Monday. He advised he would be here this coming Monday and apologized for the delays. At least he is communicative.

While not nearly on the same scale as a new shop I have been dealing with non-communicative contractors the last 2 or 3 weeks. I can understand issues with supply chain and having enough guys to do the job, but at least tell me about it.

While not nearly on the same scale as a new shop I have been dealing with non-communicative contractors the last 2 or 3 weeks. I can understand issues with supply chain and having enough guys to do the job, but at least tell me about it.
100%
I supervise a group of 8 investigators. I tell them every Monday that the majority of the problems we incur are due to poor communications. Blue on blue, problems with prosecutors, problems with the guy who won't put his hands up, problems with reports. Drives me crazy. People are afraid to tell someone something wrong or something negative or something disappointing so they just say nothing at all which can cause far more problems. Or they are lazy or lack the skills and fail to fully and effectively communicate details.

Working on the GSMTR raffle I called dozens of potential sponsors. Quite a few just kept leading me on - call me next week, yes I will donate - not sure what so call me next week, send me the email again (this was a favorite when they told me that the 4th time I gave up). Just tell me no and let me move on!

:soapbox:

HH I didn’t realize you were law enforcement, thank you for your service and all that you and your fellow officers do! I appreciate you guys!!

Another great step forward. I daw the contractor as I was leaving this morning qnd he saidbhe intents to have metal on the walls Wednesday. (We shall see about that.) He did say they have 6 jobs going. The latest is they are unable to get Quickcrete. There are no bags available. Nuts.
Anyway, doors and upper windows are in and they finished framing the little porch.
20220613_181941.jpg
20220613_182023.jpg
20220613_182044.jpg
20220613_182103.jpg
20220613_182120.jpg

Another great step forward. I daw the contractor as I was leaving this morning qnd he saidbhe intents to have metal on the walls Wednesday. (We shall see about that.) He did say they have 6 jobs going. The latest is they are unable to get Quickcrete. There are no bags available. Nuts.
Anyway, doors and upper windows are in and they finished framing the little porch.
View attachment 3033347View attachment 3033348View attachment 3033349View attachment 3033350E
No ice!

I’m jelly!

:beer:

sr+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom