For Sale Eagle River Wisconsin 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521 United States
Mileage
Outside Link
https://northernwi.craigslist.org/cto/d/three-lakes-1996-toyota-land-cruiser/7488630151.html
I’m looking to sell my 1996 FJ80 and could use some feedback on listing and pricing it. I bought “Elsie” from a friend in 2018 while living in Colorado, but never fully realized it’s popularity and value until recently. I’ve had people tell me it’s worth around $30,000 and my research has it valued at that or more. I currently have it listed for $34,500 or best offer, which seems awfully high to me. It’s a great vehicle in great condition, but are the mid-nineties models really commanding that much? I’m not going to give it away, but I’m not out to set the market either. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Here’s the particulars…

187,000 actual miles on it’s 6 cylinder, 4.5L engine, full time 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission.
Power moon roof, factory tinted power windows, power door locks, A/C, and after-market Alpine am/fm/satellite/CD/USB tuner/player.
The tires and the two spares are Falken Wild Peak AT3 All Terrain, have 90% tread remaining, and are all mounted on freshly powder coated, OEM alloy wheels.

The OEM paint is called Moonglow Pearl and is still bright and not faded. The clear coat is intact. All Elsie’s owners were Colorado residents and it was always garaged. The body is clean and not rust eaten, but there is a little, easily fixable surface rust on the running boards and four very small (less than 1/4” diameter) blemishes on the tailgate. I’d fix these myself, but the overall condition of the body and paint is so good, I’m afraid I’d screw it up. Best to delegate that to a professional. Outside of that, and one small scratch on the driver’s side, the body is clean and dent free. We moved to Wisconsin in 2018 and had it rustproofed before our first winter here. The last two winters Elsie didn’t leave the garage, but we’re getting it rustproofed again this fall, just in case.

The interior is very clean. It is blue grey in color with heated front seats, 3rd row seats and WeatherTech floor mats. The seats are OEM cloth. None of the seats are ripped, torn, frayed, worn thin or stained. There is one small (1”) tear in the rear seat door panel and it needs an ash tray, but that’s it. No dash cracking or missing knobs. Inside and out, this is a beautiful ride. People come up to me often to comment on the condition and are surprised that its a 1996.

Upkeep and maintenance has been done professionally according to factory specs. My mechanic is the best. Fluids and belts get checked often and changed ahead of schedule. He always checks for and fixes potential problems whenever it’s in for service. Repairs, when necessary, get done immediately. Service records are available from the last two owners. Mechanically, everything works except the rear window defogger. It doesn’t leak oil. I told my mechanic I was going to sell her and he told me that it was good to go, as is. He told me the engine and tranny are strong, the suspension is tight, the exhaust system is good, and the brakes are newer.

This vehicle has been kept OEM and not modified to be used as an off-road toy. We’ve never used it off-road and, according to my mechanic, neither did the previous owners.

My wife and I are selling Elsie because we’re older, we don’t travel much and 3 vehicles is one too many. Plus, she deserves and needs to be driven more than 1000 miles a year.
D34E217E-868F-4938-BB11-59F944DC079E.jpeg
A9F97B1E-3B82-4551-86DE-2D6DE94521CD.jpeg

I sold one all built out, with 116k miles and triple locked for $33k. That was ALL the money when the market was high in February.

Undercarriage would need to be pristine for a stock truck with a binder of service records to pull $25k now a days. Based on the limited information and it being a WI vehicle (similar to IL or MN), I’d say best case is $20k. Some really nice warm-weather trucks for sale here in that ballpark

But, I’ve been called an idiot on topics I know more about… best of luck!

Last edited:
I sold one all built out, with 116k miles and triple locked for $33k. That was ALL the money when the market was high in February.

Undercarriage would need to be pristine for a stock truck with a binder of service records to pull $25k now a days. Based on the limited information and it being a WI vehicle (similar to IL or MN), I’d say best case is $20k. Some really nice warm-weather trucks for sale here in that ballpark

I think your estimate is fairly accurate. It may get more on eBay motors and BAT, but the commission will bring the value to seller to about the same as selling on classifieds for $20K.

Thank you for your feedback. I know I have more work to do to expect a better price. It is a Colorado vehicle and I have the service records to back up my maintenance claims, but maybe a visit to my mechanic wouldn’t hurt just to reconfirm what I’ve been told before. I want to be fair in my price, but at $20,000 I’d park my F150 and drive the fj 😄! Anything to justify keeping my baby.

Thanks again, Dangler. I’m grateful for your advice.

More pictures can only help!

I've got ~$24 into my 91 and bet I wouldn't get $17k. Tough market

Fellow Wisconsinite. Price is double what it will get around Wisconsin. People don’t trust the rust free montra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom