Builds The Mule: My OM617 swap and other improvements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I should have explained myself better when I was bad mouthing the lunchbox lockers.
They work really well but they tend to push the vehicle one way or another due to the way they are designed. It feels like they drive one wheel at a time on the street so when you hit the gas the vehicle pushes one way and then when you let off it feels like it pulls the other way. This is more noticeable on in short wheel that in a long wheelbase.
The great thing about the 40’s are that you can run one in the rear until you can afford an ARB and then just move it to the front axle where it’s bad habits don’t show up.

Good to see you enjoying your FJ40 with the family, that's what these old things were made for imho.

I too have a lop in the idle with my OM617, but it usually occurred when the motor was cold. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens when the tank is low.

yeah i did an arb.

i did medical school while starting my landcruiser adventures. it was slow and some sacrifices were made but now on this side i have the chance to keep it going. maybe not a lot of time but you know how that is. i’m not giving up on it just yet!!

Update: threw a Spartan locker in the rear end. Had a bit of a bang my head moment when I let the carrier rotate and the center pin slid out and locked everything in place. Used a magnet to pull it out through the carrier and all was well. Hoping to make it to Southern Cruiser Crawl if anyone else is planning to be there.

Forgot to update the thread. Made it from Birmingham to Hot Springs and back. Had a great time at SCC. Met a lot of cool people and got some good wheeling in. The 40 did fine, no issues whatsoever except for the wipers, which I knew about already. Averaged about 19.5mpg with the heavy foot and wheeling.

i’m piecing my throttle linkage back together after having it apart for 6 years. mercedes made it unnecessarily complex. can you post how yours is set up? did you just get rid of the rod that originally went to the mercedes firewall?

edit: never mind. i found your video on page 8!!

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this. Here ya go.

For those wondering, both the 40 and myself are still alive and kicking!!!! I've been busy as hell with dental school (barf), but got out with my club, the DixieLand Cruisers, this past Saturday in the Talladega National Forest aka the childhood home of Ricky Bobby.

To keep this tech flavored: @orangefj45 built this Orion 4:1 and it DID NOT pop out of gear on a VERY steep downhill. Thanks @orangefj45! Additionally, the Spartan locker held up well to mild abuse and wheel spin. Finally, special thanks to @Bama4door for spotting and @girupb for the NSA qualified camera.

Pictures for attention:

Sizing up the hill climb.
4530FBE7-0EA4-41CC-BF21-CBF99F139044.jpeg

Listening to my Sensei.
8ECC4454-EB75-443D-8EAB-D76E33011D36.jpeg

Luggin' and smokin'
08F3D457-3BF8-4B52-B6EB-DAAC18DAF653.jpeg

Normally, this is how sh*t gets broken.
78220091-2D3F-4975-88F1-C943CFEB631B.jpeg

3DB6B1C6-F988-4E11-92F6-92E9946D4747.jpeg

Drove the 40 to our local club meeting on Saturday. Froze my ass off since I have the top and doors off. Sorry, no pics but the Mule is still running like a raped ape.

If there was an easy way to put an NV4500 behind a 1F/2F/3FE I would do it in a heartbeat.

Hell I still might pick one up and see about making some custom parts.

EDIT: it's not as hard as I previously though, the hunt is on!
I am going to go with the H55F and a split transfer case I will only need one adapter between the 2F bell housing and the R2.8 Cummins.

I have to admit, I'm a bit bummed about how hard the Mule is on my back. I keep having errant thoughts of putting it up for sale to get something a little easier riding. Am I crazy? Maybe I should go SOA with my original springs. Does that soften the ride considerably?

Maybe I'm just being rash....
Have you thought about doing a reverse shackle? I smoothed out the ride for me and even my Dad noticed.

Drove the 40 to our local club meeting on Saturday. Froze my ass off since I have the top and doors off. Sorry, no pics but the Mule is still running like a raped ape.
Summers in Wyoming you need a parka at night without the top.

I can imagine. My mom and step-father lived in Cody for 15 years and I've spent quite a bit of time in the great state of Wyoming and even around the "puh po shuh" (if I remember how it's pronounced). I haven't really considered doing a shackle reversal as of late. I think I'd probably upgrade the seats before going that route.

I can imagine. My mom and step-father lived in Cody for 15 years and I've spent quite a bit of time in the great state of Wyoming and even around the "puh po shuh" (if I remember how it's pronounced). I haven't really considered doing a shackle reversal as of late. I think I'd probably upgrade the seats before going that route.
It tracks much better with the shackle reversal.

For anyone still following: the last time I took the 40 out for a spin I experienced death wobble for the first time. Speed was approximately 55mph and honestly it scared me a little bit. I swear my pilot brain / lizard brain starting recalling the EPs for engine failure in flight--it was weird. I digress. I've been really busy lately and today was the first time I was able to take a look at everything. I got some good advice from @Bama4door and it lined up with what I was already thinking: wheel bearings, knuckle bearings, rod ends, and steering gear box.

I tore into the driver side knuckle and opened it all the way to the open knuckle. I checked torques on the wheel bearing and it was right where I left it before fixing it in place about 7 years ago at ~4ft-lbs before locking it in place (I torqued to 43ft-lbs, spun the wheels, then re-torqued to 4 ft-lbs [spec 2.9-5.0]). I pulled the axle shaft and birfield, but didn't separate them because I don't have any extra c-clips. Everything looked really good and was tight, not water intrusion, soup, etc. The brass bushing / grease slinger looked good in the spindle, and there were no indications of excessive heat. Wheel bearings were good. Tie rod and drag link were tight, no excessive slop in the Saginaw box. I'm at a loss.

The only thing I found that was different from the passenger side was a lot of horizontal movement of the birf and axle shaft. I'll link a video below, but I don't really think this would have anything to do with death wobble.

Of note: the passenger hub was locked in. I have 3 boys and all bets are on our 5yr old.. messing with it. Probably not a factor?

The last thing I can think of is that my castor might be off. I have castor shims in, but they're aluminum. They were supposed to be temporary and replaced with steel, but you know how that goes. Here we are at probably 7.5 years...:cool:

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but here's the video. What's the verdict?

What is your toe-in set to?
I have no idea. I did a driveway alignment years and years ago. I've always been surprised at how straight the truck tracks on the road. It does seem to be wearing a bit too much on the inside of the tires.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I did a driveway alignment years and years ago. I've always been surprised at how straight the truck tracks on the road. It does seem to be wearing a bit too much on the inside of the tires.

Double check you alignment again. Set it to 1/8" toe-in and see if it will track true again. A toe-out condition will cause wear on the inside of the tire.

I'm still alive.

Trying to get the 40 ready for the DLC trip to Wind Rock park for Coal Creek Winter Summit.

Punch list:
- Heater
- Get top and doors back on
- New tires
- Wipers (stretch goal)

Might not seem like much but I'm knee deep in dental school (D3)

I didn't want to drill any holes in my firewall, so I used some 3/8" HDPE to make a plate that I could mount the heater to, then mount that plate to the firewall using existing locations for the original heater. I don't love it, but it doesn't look too bad. It will have to do for now:

Bgc9COL.jpg

xFpq3uJ.jpg

Mocked up:
lZkNYi5.jpg

Maxxis RZR 33x10.50s will be here Weds.

i’m still following what you do. your build keeps me going that i will some day finish mine. built a house and have been swamped with work (surgeon) this last year trying to catch up from covid. i’m stalled out but seeing yours keep going makes me happy and gives me hope! keep the posts coming if only for my sake!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom