BJ44 - am I crazy (again)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paco

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an opportunity to purchase my old BJ44 that I sold about ten years ago. It was a daily driver for a while and then has been sitting in a garage since 2015. I have always loved the look of this rig but sold it due to the cancer. There was some slight misrepresentation when I imported it so I took a pretty good bath on it. Could get it for less than $8K but even then this will be a serious project. I don't have a barn like @CenTXFJ60 but there is a chance I could rent a bay at a shop within walking distance. My son is interested so it would be group project. Thoughts....?

IMG_8358.JPEG

IMG_8360.JPEG

IMG_8361.JPEG

IMG_8363.JPEG

IMG_8366.JPEG

IMG_8369.JPEG

IMG_8371.JPEG

IMG_8372.JPEG

IMG_8375.JPEG

More

IMG_8375.JPEG

IMG_8376.JPEG

IMG_8377.JPEG

IMG_8379.JPEG

IMG_8378.JPEG

IMG_8380.JPEG

IMG_8381.JPEG

IMG_8382.JPEG

IMG_8384.JPEG

I just heard back and he will "let it go" for $5K, which may be realistic but still seems high given the work it needs...

I would say make it as nice as you can while keeping it on the road. Do everything you can so that when it's time to take the body off, you only have to worry about the tub itself and the frame. I did a body off "restoration" on a CJ5, and even on such a simple vehicle it felt overwhelming to have that many parts to refurbish at once. I just wanted to put it back together already and go see some stuff, but there was always another thousand things to do. Just my opinion, pros and cons to doing it each way. I absolutely think a MWB 40 series is worth the time and money though. Someone should put it into this rig :woot:

I just heard back and he will "let it go" for $5K, which may be realistic but still seems high given the work it needs...
Mike, this sounds like a lot of fun. Depending on your expectations it can be mildly worked on and kept as a driver or you can go all out with repairing the tub. Seems a lot of panels are available for the 40 series.

Hello,

Do not overthink it and proceed.

Five grand may seem a bit high but they are worth it. A fair price.

It is a great project rig. Restore it one section at a time, in order to keep it drivable. On the other hand, in that way time will not be a constraint.

Juan

If you are like me, go ahead ... there are lots of suppliers for everything you need, but you will have to search for them. I have been owned by my BJ40 for about 40 years this year and I still love it as much as I did when we were both young LOL

Got some hard to find parts and at $5k I would think you are safe not to do ya ass again

If you are like me, go ahead ... there are lots of suppliers for everything you need, but you will have to search for them. I have been owned by my BJ40 for about 40 years this year and I still love it as much as I did when we were both young LOL
Coming up on 30 years for me and I feel the same.

Looking for a 24v 2 plug EDIC motor if anyone has one and would rather turn it into cash.

Time for an update....

After much deliberation I told him at $5K that was still too high for me to buy it back. After the bath I took the first time was definitely a little gun shy. He asked at what price would I feel comfortable so I told him it would have to be ridiculously low. About three weeks after that he asks how low so I tell him. Anther 3 weeks later he says okay. I thought for sure it wasn't going to happen but he wanted me to have it back so who was I to argue?

I had plans for SAS#6 this week but that didn't happen for other reasons. I guess the next best would be to add another rig so I picked up the 44 on Saturday and white-knuckle drove it home with no insurance, expired tags, and a screaming high idle.

IMG_8848.jpeg

68091343932__FA2F434B-E682-40CF-AC12-B70967466FBB.jpeg

IMG_8851.jpeg

I only have space for 3 rigs in the driveway (never park on the street in Portland) so I shuffled the Westy over to my stepdad's driveway so I could fit the 44 in the rear spot. Will probably pick up a canopy for it this fall to try and keep the rain off it. I have some home projects stacked up in front so this will need to take a backseat for a while, but I am starting my list of what needs to get done versus what I want to do. First off is to fix the high idle. Did some searching and found @orangefj45 thread with the same problem so will be ordering a diaphragm this week.

I was still a little hesitant to pick it up, but now that she is home I am pretty excited. This is the first time I will have a rig that I can work on and not worry if I don't get it back up and running right away. Because of that previously I have been more on the paying side for maintenance so looking forward to doing it all myself now that time is not an issue.

Tackled the diaphragm this weekend. Once again mud proved to be the ultimate resource with a couple of great threads I found on replacement for a 3B diaphragm.

Here is the governor assembly - one screw is partially out since after I started figured I better take some pictures...
IMG_8977.jpeg

With the cover off. Some folks removed the EDIC completely or the actuator but a lot did it with everything still in place. Figured I would start out this way and then remove if needed.
IMG_8978.jpeg

I cleaned some gunk out of the end but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.
IMG_8979.jpeg

Now for the fun part - I chose to remove the cotter key and washer rather than fight with the 8mm nut on the other side. Small needle nose pliers are key for this. Some folks recommended cutting the old one to get access for removal but I figured I was better off not destroying it so I would get some practice for putting the new one back in.
IMG_8980.jpeg

Success! Definitely worn and time for replacement
IMG_8982.jpeg

IMG_8983.jpeg

Got the new one in with only having the washer fall off twice. Once inside the assembly which I pulled out with a magnet and then on the ground that took 15 min to find. Minus time searching for the washer total time about an hour. Fired right up and idle was back to 700 rpm or so - success!!

I also fixed the drivers side mirror and brake lights so I am now at least legal to drive as soon as I have time to register it. One step at a time...

Replacing the diaphragm on my 44 this weekend. Magnets and needle nose on standby. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom