tranny tech 403-thats 4 on the tree! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the shifter plate going to be newly built cover that will entirely replace the existing one on the 4-speed transmissions? Or will it be the adapter plate that bolts on the 2-piece transmission cover allowing the conversion?

I'm asking because my 4-speed is an early h-41 and the tranmsion cover is a 1-piece slab of steel with only a single hole large enough to allow the floor shifter cane to fit through. In the pictures provided earlier in this thread, it shows a later style 4-speed transmission that comes apart in 2 pieces and you can remove the top-plate and attach the "4 on the tree adapter".

I can provide a picture later on how my transmission top-plate is. Otherwise, I might need to source out a later 4-speed top-plate to attach on my h41 and then use your "four on the tree adapter".

Thanks.
The inside of your cover is different too. None of the forks match. I rebuilt one of those for @mrtodds77 in Simi Valley last year, and while I didn’t take pics, I remember it was VERY different.

The inside of your cover is different too. None of the forks match. I rebuilt one of those for @mrtodds77 in Simi Valley last year, and while I didn’t take pics, I remember it was VERY different.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but i am interested in the up-coming product and have postponed a three-on-the-three to 4-speed swap soley for being able to do this conversion.

So perhaps even if I were to get a later style 4-speed transmission cover that comes in 2-pieces, the forks might not even line up, since the internals of the transmission might be slightly diffrent and render the h41 useless with a later cover.

The only noticeable difference I noted when looking at the internals of the transmission is the early h41 transmission "hub sleeve" is substantially wider than one for an h42. Other than that, they look the same. This is of course with me comparing photos on the internet.

IMG_20220602_201339.jpg

IMG_20220602_201309.jpg

IMG_20220602_201248.jpg

Interesting about the differences in the 4 speed top covers! This adapter will only bolt to the two-piece top cover used by the pre-79 H42.
On another note, the metal prototype 2.0 just landed! A beautiful piece thanks to a ton of design tweaks by @Bullzi . :cheers: Thankful he was foolhardy enough to help on this crazy project with me. We have gone back and forth a ton on getting this just right. I think we got a winner. Now it's time to turn our attention to getting it in a rig and testing clearances. @Skreddy is the brave soul who has stepped forward for that part of the project. Should be fun! First step is to get some 4speed transmission to 3speed transfer case adapter parts from @cruiseroutfit :steer:
IMG_7741.jpg

Interesting about the differences in the 4 speed top covers! This adapter will only bolt to the two-piece top cover used by the pre-79 H42.
On another note, the metal prototype 2.0 just landed! A beautiful piece thanks to a ton of design tweaks by @Bullzi . :cheers: Thankful he was foolhardy enough to help on this crazy project with me. We have gone back and forth a ton on getting this just right. I think we got a winner. Now it's time to turn our attention to getting it in a rig and testing clearances. @Skreddy is the brave soul who has stepped forward for that part of the project. Should be fun! First step is to get some 4speed transmission to 3speed transfer case adapter parts from @cruiseroutfit :steer:
View attachment 3029757

:cool:

Interesting I understood the 40 series H42 top covers were all interchangeable with other years. There is a US version that had a switch on top that showed when the transmission was in fourth gear but nothing internal that shifted the gears changed. The early four speed pre H42 was a one solid piece top cover. These were geared even lower than the H41 manufacturer during the same time as the H42. The 60 series four speeds had a single piece aluminum top cover. The H55F five speed used an aluminum cover. H42 for 40 series were all cast iron.

Should add the H41 and H42 used the same top cover as long as the H41 was not the style made pre H42.

Last edited:
Should add the H41 and H42 used the same top cover as long as the H41 was not the style made pre H42.

It looks like luck isn't in my favor for this situation. I have the H41 that is pre H42 transmission, often cited as the "4 speed F transmission" or the "1973 fj55 4 speed".

It will require more work, but I'm thinking I might be able to buy a later style h42/h41 transmission cover, exchange the internal shifting forks over, and drill new holes to fit the patter on the "ealry style" 4-speed. The hole allginment for the bolts do not appear to be equal between the ealry and later style top covers. I won't be able to really compare until I get one hands on.

So sad, I really wanted to be able to keep my column shift but this early style h41 has added another roadblock in the process :(

It looks like luck isn't in my favor for this situation. I have the H41 that is pre H42 transmission, often cited as the "4 speed F transmission" or the "1973 fj55 4 speed".

It will require more work, but I'm thinking I might be able to buy a later style h42/h41 transmission cover, exchange the internal shifting forks over, and drill new holes to fit the patter on the "ealry style" 4-speed. The hole allginment for the bolts do not appear to be equal between the ealry and later style top covers. I won't be able to really compare until I get one hands on.

So sad, I really wanted to be able to keep my column shift but this early style h41 has added another roadblock in the process :(

If you were local would trade for a later transmission.

I'm going to rebuild my '69 3 speed TC. Can anything be modded in the TC while its apart to make the h42 swap more seamless ?

Nice work!

Whats involved to adapt 4 speed to early 3speed TC?

This:

Edit: Marks Offroad probably has a kit for all the necessary parts as well as the PTO spacer/gear needed.

dude........that is so damn cool :)

drove a Stout with 4 on the tree.......aint no one gonna steal that rig :D

I had to re-remember how to drive my Stout every time I hopped in it. 4 on the tree is funky cool :cool:

View attachment 3029757
I’m excited to be taking on this project. I’ve got just about everything I think I need to swap in a 4 speed except the transfer case spacer. I specifically kept the 4 speed from a crusty FJ55 I parted out just for this potential project. Rebuilt it over the last couple of months and it’s ready to go. I’ve got a sticky note on my dash the last few weeks with the different rpm’s and speeds for the 3 speed and the 4 speed that I look at while meandering around and I think the middle gears are really going to make driving even more enjoyable.
I’ll update my progress in here once we get going and in the thread on my blue 1970.

I’m excited to be taking on this project. I’ve got just about everything I think I need to swap in a 4 speed except the transfer case spacer. I specifically kept the 4 speed from a crusty FJ55 I parted out just for this potential project. Rebuilt it over the last couple of months and it’s ready to go. I’ve got a sticky note on my dash the last few weeks with the different rpm’s and speeds for the 3 speed and the 4 speed that I look at while meandering around and I think the middle gears are really going to make driving even more enjoyable.
I’ll update my progress in here once we get going and in the thread on my blue 1970.
I just picked up a 4 speed myself. I was planning to convert to floor shift but this project could persuade me otherwise.

I really like the originality of my 70 and didnt want to cut the floor or ditch the bench seat, that’s why I was really excited for this. (Originality if you look past a lift, 33’s and a Holley Sniper…)

Only took 15 years, but I finally got my first ’like’ on my original post.😛

Only took 15 years, but I finally got my first ’like’ on my original post.😛
Your efforts to get this project started are truly liked . :cheers:

Been a few days now but the adapter is in my hands. I finished rebuilding my 4 speed today and test fit the adapter. Hoping I’ll get time Wednesday or Thursday to pull the 3 speed and install the 4 speed with no t-case to start checking fit of everything.

Wow, the time got away from me.
3 speed is out, shifter is mounted on 4 speed and can go through the gears easily. The 1-2 shift gate is a little tight for the larger shift pawl of the 3 speed but I think it will be fine. Maybe a slight beveling on the leading edges may be needed for easier shifts, we shall see; I haven’t compared it to the 4 speed part yet to see if there is actually a difference. The 4 speed bellhousing is mounted on the 1F. More to come later this week.
DB2E8BBD-C782-488A-93FF-9A9AFAC9944B.jpeg
C30CAF36-98B2-4D39-B5A5-4BD2D50FB400.jpeg
03CD89A2-2482-4590-88F2-06F681DB74CE.jpeg

I had some time before work tonight so I was able to get the seat, tank and tunnel pulled and the 4 speed bolted in with no t-case yet. Just checking fit, clearances and linkages for now. This will all be coming back out to clean and paint the bell and install the clutch and t-case.
7E91C736-83E3-49EB-824F-2785F95CE47C.jpeg
37CCE86C-0983-4A6C-9C87-25F2FF89186D.jpeg

So the meat and potatoes. The overall height of the whole assembly with 4 speed is about 2-3/8” taller than the 3 speed. The tunnel has to come up 2” at minimum. 2” leaves 1/2” or so of clearance between tunnel and shifter assembly which seems sufficient.
3A56EEA5-B4DC-4C89-B765-284AE4BD30F5.jpeg
34BB3E72-4F1F-4606-8654-FADA8D823FBE.jpeg
17E945AF-6BB6-487B-B1DD-16788DF20BB5.jpeg

The linkage rod to the shift arm out of the top (gate selector arm) looks like it will be fine with no modifications. The linkage rod from column to gear selector pivot (hard to see in pic but it’s the vertical rod in front of firewall) will need a slight dogleg to clear the gate linkage rod. The linkage rod that attaches to the arm for gear selection on trans needs the stud turned around 180* and I think it will work. Going to make some temp rods to see before modifying mine.
7A34C022-F8C3-4390-BEB9-281E39F0FB9C.jpeg
1C241015-B9C6-49DA-99C9-BABA58C03EEB.jpeg
7D52995F-2E70-473F-AFA5-4B1719718669.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom