Required Equipment to pass emission test (Maricopa County AZ-- OBD1) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my opinion the types of air injection systems in the 90s varied in location and look so much that unless you have someone intimately familiar with an 80 series Cruiser, they would easily skip over it. Properly removed it looks stock too. The techs are used to dealing with the plug n play obd2 vehicles all day long. When a pre-odb2 vehicle shows up, they probably roll their eyes and try to get you out of there as quickly as possible. Most people in government don't like challenges.

Having said all that, my current tags expire in September. So I'll let you know if I have to re-PAIR or not and where I went in case I do pass.

In my opinion the types of air injection systems in the 90s varied in location and look so much that unless you have someone intimately familiar with an 80 series Cruiser, they would easily skip over it. Properly removed it looks stock too. The techs are used to dealing with the plug n play obd2 vehicles all day long. When a pre-odb2 vehicle shows up, they probably roll their eyes and try to get you out of there as quickly as possible. Most people in government don't like challenges.

Having said all that, my current tags expire in September. So I'll let you know if I have to re-PAIR or not and where I went in case I do pass.

In Arizona emission testing is done at big facilites-- when you show up it is not uncommon to have four emission test bays open and 10-15 cars in line. But most of the bays will be for OBD2 only, and anyone with an older pre OBD2 car (or a diesel) is relegated to one or maybe two lines that do the sniffer test in addition to regular OBD2 testing.

I don't think the employees are official government employees, I think they are just contractors. But your point remains valid.

Of course this also means you can't "pick" the guy who does your test ahead of time. You just get who you get.

The employees are pretty helpful. I have never had a car fail the sniffer test, but one time when my gas cap failed for my 80. The guy testing it said "I can give you a new gas cap and pass you if you will sign a liability waiver". I said sure and they gave me a new Stent-brand gas cap and passed me. I guess they realized it was cheaper to give you a new gas cap then it would be to have you come back for retest. Pretty smart of them actually.

Let's recap.

1) Is PAIR a manufacturer-installed emission control device? Yes.

2) Will the vehicle run without it? Yes.

3) Will its absence set a check-engine lamp? No.

4) Can it be made to appear that it was not there in the first place? Yes.

5) Is it going to be tampering/illegal to remove it? Yes.

6) Could the vehicle pass a sniff test without PAIR? Most likely yes, if the engine is otherwise sound.

7) Could the vehicle pass the visual inspection without it? Maybe, but it shouldn't. As long the inspector isn't competent and/or doesn't care, you'll be on your way to renewal.

That's what the sticker on the hood is for, one quick glance and you can see what should be on there 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Let's recap.

1) Is PAIR a manufacturer-installed emission control device? Yes.

2) Will the vehicle run without it? Yes.

3) Will its absence set a check-engine lamp? No.

4) Can it be made to appear that it was not there in the first place? Yes.

5) Is it going to be tampering/illegal to remove it? Yes.

6) Could the vehicle pass a sniff test without PAIR? Most likely yes, if the engine is otherwise sound.

7) Could the vehicle pass the visual inspection without it? Maybe, but it shouldn't. As long the inspector isn't competent and/or doesn't care, you'll be on your way to renewal.

Alright, if I give up on this and instead go with a 12V compressor, can I at least remove the little black box on the side air filter so I can add dual batteries? Like what this guy did? Looking at the diagram on my hood I don't see that little black box called out. I actually have no idea what that little black box is
InkedInkedDual Battery Set Up_LI.jpg

And while I have you CruiserDan--- any idea what hose it is that this guy used?

Jared

Edited to add a picture of the little black box (picture taken from someone selling housing on ebay)

InkedBlack Box on side of air filter_LI.jpg

Last edited:
The box is a resonator that knocks down the pulse noise. That can go without an issue. It's hard to guess the exact hose used. It could be a cut down original. There are radiator hoses with the same diameter. Something like that will work. In fact the original hose is discontinued. Several years ago I identified a Tacoma radiator hose that would substitute nicely. 16572-07040.
Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 12-39-19 16572-07040 - Radiator Coolant Hose 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma ...png

The box is a resonator that knocks down the pulse noise. That can go without an issue. It's hard to guess the exact hose used. It could be a cut down original. There are radiator hoses with the same diameter. Something like that will work. In fact the original hose is discontinued. Several years ago I identified a Tacoma radiator hose that would substitute nicely. 16572-07040.
View attachment 3029457
I'm running this hose and it's a perfect fit in the stock location, it's looks a bit to short to work in the altered location.

FWIW I do not think that removing the box would send up any flags

FWIW I do not think that removing the box would send up any flags

It shouldn't because it's not in the emissions diagram and it's literally just a silencer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom