Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yup. but I can't use all of the travel, as my front u-joint binds, I need to alter the front 3-link a bit and maybe change to a high-pinion front end. Those are future projects though.

I'm not sure where the pinion is, and I should have measured. I don't remember the castor is either, but what became evident is that my pinion doesn't tip up enough as it droops.

What degree do you put have your front pinion? Mine is set at 12* so I am hoping to get full 16” of flex. I have a low pinion D60.

I'd set caster before setting pinion angle. That will probably be your driving factor to get steering feeling and behaving well.

I'd set caster before setting pinion angle. That will probably be your driving factor to get steering feeling and behaving well.
Pinion angle should be set before caster , unless you are just compromising with the existing setup on the axle. You cannot change pinion angle. The c's can be cut off and re-set to the correct angle afterward if you need.

I'm not sure where the pinion is, and I should have measured. I don't remember the castor is either, but what became evident is that my pinion doesn't tip up enough as it droops.
Your upper and lower link length relationship determine the path and travel of the pinion angle. If you want the pinion to rotate up or down during travel, you need to adjust link length or mounting point.

Pinion angle should be set before caster , unless you are just compromising with the existing setup on the axle. You cannot change pinion angle. The c's can be cut off and re-set to the correct angle afterward if you need.

Correct.

E2294482-A2EF-445C-A4C7-0C2CDCE537D7.jpeg

91E8A343-0BA6-4108-9F98-904F6B095D7D.jpeg

1410 Neapco yoke will give you a lot more flex than a Spicer by about 7-10 deg. that is what I run on 4573

Fair point, i didn't realize he had the cs off. Usually, you can get by with a pretty good compromise without having to modify too much, in my experience.

Thanks, @DangerNoodle. My pinion is 12* and the caster is 4*.

I'd aim for a lot more caster with your tire size. I' sitting at about 8* with 37's. It will really help with handling, along with a well deisgned steering setup with proper ackerman.

Too late 🙂
Fair point, i didn't realize he had the cs off. Usually, you can get by with a pretty good compromise without having to modify too much, in my experience.

I'd aim for a lot more caster with your tire size. I' sitting at about 8* with 37's. It will really help with handling, along with a well deisgned steering setup with proper ackerman.

That's pretty low caster for 37+, just as an fyi. You'll probably have very little return to center. It will alao probably want to walk around or get pulled around in lanes more easily.

I think 4 degrees is good. I run 3 on my rig on 40's and it drives pretty nice down the roads between trails. I have a steering box as well.

Valid points, thought I was in a different post for a minute until I realized its mine, lol

Got a good hood for the project
20220614_215310.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom