No mechanic will touch my AHC. DIY repair advice? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, i dont WANT to own a rusty vehicle. And the body is actually very clean but things underneath are not as nice. Didnt go so well at LexConnection today, which really bummed me out. I sat there for 3.5 hours before they came and told me they were "done" and if I wanted to have the rear lines replaced they would need it for the day... WTF thats the reason i brought it over an hour away to them at 9am this morning. I was charged an hour of labor for an overall assessment of the vehicle. They are recommending replacing the system with a conventional suspension for ~$1600.

I dont know what to do.

I have already bought the rear lines. The front hard/rubber lines are $250 each on ebay. The hard line coming off the reservoir/pump is $150 and it looks wet so UH OH. The rest of the hard lines combined are somewhere around $500+. I cant tell exactly because when i look up a line like 48982 it gives me 5 different options. So with a couple cans of fluid, for around $1350 plus my labor, i can keep the AHC and hope the accumulators dont go out. Or I can take a loss on the rear lines i've bought already and have the traditional setup done for $1600. I dont know if that includes torsion bars. Probably not.

I feel defeated as i really wanted to keep this thing stock and i have so much time invested running around to three different shops and looking at doing it myself. I think i'm leaning towards having a traditional suspension put in... Its probably worth the peace of mind.

:-(

I dont know what to do.

3F452505-37A4-4849-9090-D0362F74D694.png

Last edited:
Well, i dont WANT to own a rusty vehicle. And the body is actually very clean but things underneath are not as nice. Didnt go so well at LexConnection today, which really bummed me out. I sat there for 3.5 hours before they came and told me they were "done" and if I wanted to have the rear lines replaced they would need it for the day... WTF thats the reason i brought it over an hour away to them at 9am this morning. I was charged an hour of labor for an overall assessment of the vehicle. They are recommending replacing the system with a conventional suspension for ~$1600.

I dont know what to do.

I have already bought the rear lines. The front hard/rubber lines are $250 each on ebay. The hard line coming off the reservoir/pump is $150 and it looks wet so UH OH. The rest of the hard lines combined are somewhere around $500+. I cant tell exactly because when i look up a line like 48982 it gives me 5 different options. So with a couple cans of fluid, for around $1350 plus my labor, i can keep the AHC and hope the accumulators dont go out. Or I can take a loss on the rear lines i've bought already and have the traditional setup done for $1600. I dont know if that includes torsion bars. Probably not.

I feel defeated as i really wanted to keep this thing stock and i have so much time invested running around to three different shops and looking at doing it myself. I think i'm leaning towards having a traditional suspension put in... Its probably worth the peace of mind.

Rust is the nemesis of complex electro-hydro-pnuematic systems.

I love AHC, but if all the lines were rusted I'd be awfully tempted to either sell it altogether or swap the suspension. I say sell it altogether because the brake lines are likely not far behind. AHC pipework isn't the only critical hydraulic hard line network under the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom