Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Am I correct, the general wisdom is install the new pump and then see if the steering box has an issue or is it better to take out the box at the same time and have it re-built? Thx!

Am I correct, the general wisdom is install the new pump and then see if the steering box has an issue or is it better to take out the box at the same time and have it re-built? Thx!
I literally did this conversion without doing anything else downstream. Has worked ever since. Reason being I couldn’t afford to do it all at once so why not see what’s up :meh:
I mean, don’t install this pump last minute before heading out to an epic road trip… not a good way to test the results. I’m a city slicker so I’m not far from the homestead :doh:

is anyone able to post a picture of the hose setup? I bought my cruiser with a seized Ps pump and no hoses were connected, trying to figure out the setup now- I bought the hoses with the kit but think im missing something, do i skip the cooling line the goes underneath the radiator with this kit?

A power steering pump needs a cooler of some sort on the low pressure return line. Toyota snaked some pipe down low adjacent to an air flow gap (which ARB bumpers block) but an aftermarket PS cooler can be used if desired instead - bolted to the radiator support next the the radiator on the outside.

Real Time Help Requested - I'm looking through this thread, but can't find the specific information I want. I've done this conversion and I'm loving it, but my alternator/ps belt just shredded and I need order one that fits. If I remember correctly, the Toyota factory belt it too thick for the new pulley. Yes?

I have to start the 60 one more time to get it home, and the steering is very old school at the moment. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Does anybody know what belt I should get (from O-Reilly's, AutoZone, Napa, etc..)?

Thanks,
Russ

Found another thread that pointed me to a Duralast Belt 17620. Poppin' Belts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/poppin-belts.1133736/page-2

Last edited:
Real Time Help Requested - I'm looking through this thread, but can't find the specific information I want. I've done this conversion and I'm loving it, but my alternator/ps belt just shredded and I need order one that fits. If I remember correctly, the Toyota factory belt it too thick for the new pulley. Yes?

I have to start the 60 one more time to get it home, and the steering is very old school at the moment. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Does anybody know what belt I should get (from O-Reilly's, AutoZone, Napa, etc..)?

Thanks,
Russ

Found another thread that pointed me to a Duralast Belt 17620. Poppin' Belts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/poppin-belts.1133736/page-2
This is the belt we supply with the kit snd have been since day one.

Hope that helps.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

B71FDC21-BF6C-45F3-8163-EEA1226C0043.jpeg

^^^
You can also use Napa 25-9620HD.

This is the belt we supply with the kit snd have been since day one.

Hope that helps.

Is there a kit I can spec out online or do all orders travel through you? I've got a record of a shop doing maintenence on my cruiser before I bought it and they used the Dexron but I've got normal power steering fluid in my pump and it's leaking.

I'd love to give this kit a shot.

We've never run into issues with the sag pumps "blowing seals out" on either the FJ60, Minitruck or other Toyota PS boxes.
Obviously if the seals have never been replaced, then it's not a terrible idea to do so. Parts are fairly inexpensive and everything is readily available at the dealer or from vendors such as Beno, myself and others on here.
And replacing the input seal and o-ring ( the most common leak by far ) is a very simple job.

I have plenty of the kits in stock.

Thanks again for all the support and orders, I appreciate it!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Do you still have the conversion kits? I want/need to upgrade my pump but I don't really have the tools to modify the existing bracket.

Do you still have the conversion kits? I want/need to upgrade my pump but I don't really have the tools to modify the existing bracket.
Yes sir!
We have the kittens talk and ready to ship. Obviously, we also carry lots of other products for your Cruiser.
Happy to help
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Question for you Georg, mainly to satiate my curiosity; do you have any plans for a Saginaw conversion kit for 62s? In my case it wouldn't be any kind of upgrade (I have an OEM rebuild kit for when my pump starts groaning again, plus I'm not planning to go larger than the 33" tires I already have and I don't do any heavy wheeling), but I know others would be interested, plus if availability of 62 pump rebuild kits comes to a halt, there's going to need to be a viable alternative and Sags are seemingly always readily available.

Question for you Georg, mainly to satiate my curiosity; do you have any plans for a Saginaw conversion kit for 62s? In my case it wouldn't be any kind of upgrade (I have an OEM rebuild kit for when my pump starts groaning again, plus I'm not planning to go larger than the 33" tires I already have and I don't do any heavy wheeling), but I know others would be interested, plus if availability of 62 pump rebuild kits comes to a halt, there's going to need to be a viable alternative and Sags are seemingly always readily available.
Thanks for the post and question. We have thought about it, but the OEM pumps are still available new. The 62 pumps are also much lesstroublesome when it comes to leakage since they were not located near the exhaust, like the previous generation with the 2F.
If, and when the OEM pumps are discontinued, we will certainly take this into consideration. But in the last five years, I’ve had less than 10 people ask for this item. So the math just does not add up currently.

I am considering this conversion and I'm seeing the Duralast 7023 pump are remanufactured and the 7023N is not available. Are there any other sources for new or am I just over thinking this. Also if the rebuilt 7023 is my only choice does any one have the rebuild kit part number? Thank you.

Last edited:
I think that you may be over thinking it just a tad. It's simply a Saginaw pump. There are a few iterations/differences between them. The shaft is either a keyed fit or tapered fit, a couple of options for mounting holes, and two options for the high pressure line fitting (SAE or metric). Far more than just two pumps available. If you want a high quality, high pressure new pump, I bought a PSC pump that's on my CJ-7 crawler. I put a cheap parts house reman pump on m6 FJ60 and it worked great.

I think that you may be over thinking it just a tad. It's simply a Saginaw pump. There are a few iterations/differences between them. The shaft is either a keyed fit or tapered fit, a couple of options for mounting holes, and two options for the high pressure line fitting (SAE or metric). Far more than just two pumps available. If you want a high quality, high pressure new pump, I bought a PSC pump that's on my CJ-7 crawler. I put a cheap parts house reman pump on m6 FJ60 and it worked great.
Thank you for that. I'm doing this project for my daughter and I'm not getting any younger. I just her set up right. Thanks

Here's a little Saginaw power steering pump cheat sheet that I've always referenced, to find the right pump. When I V8 swapped my '59 Apache, I ultimately had to buy two pumps to disassemble and build the pump that suited my needs (the right combination of pressure line inlet, mounting bolt configuration, reservoir type and shaft type). But, that's not necessary in this case.

Also, being that the factory Toyota pump runs at 600 PSI, and the stock Saginaw pump runs at 1,200 PSI, I'd steer away from the PSC pump, unless you're going through your e tire steering system. I believe that mine runs at 1,600 PSI, which may be problematic for some of your stock steerimg components.

Screenshot_20190525-130213_Drive.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom