Grom vline VL2 install on a 2011 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I scored a new open box Grom vline VL2 for my 2011 LX570 and will be installing it and documenting it for everyone but I have a few questions. Info seems spread out over multiple threads and I have yet to see a writeup or anything pointing to using the factory USB port which is what I want to try and document

Part number is - LEX6VL2 - I have confirmed with Grom this is in fact the correct PN for my year.

Anyway, I would like to use the factory USB port as the main USB cable that would run from the OE location to the Grom. From my research it appears I need this cable PAC USB-TY2 Toyota OEM USB Port Retention Cable.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction on how to make this possible? Or if it even is. I have not physically looked at the Grom nor the Factory USB port yet, so I am trying to get ahead of it and would love advice or tips from anyone who has done it!

Hi all, I scored a new open box Grom vline VL2 for my 2011 LX570 and will be installing it and documenting it for everyone but I have a few questions. Info seems spread out over multiple threads and I have yet to see a writeup or anything pointing to using the factory USB port which is what I want to try and document

Part number is - LEX6VL2 - I have confirmed with Grom this is in fact the correct PN for my year.

Anyway, I would like to use the factory USB port as the main USB cable that would run from the OE location to the Grom. From my research it appears I need this cable PAC USB-TY2 Toyota OEM USB Port Retention Cable.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction on how to make this possible? Or if it even is. I have not physically looked at the Grom nor the Factory USB port yet, so I am trying to get ahead of it and would love advice or tips from anyone who has done it!
From what i read when i was looking at it a few months ago. No one has figured out for sure it's the right adapter. Supposedly the connector is in a different place than what people think and that the adaptor is for a connector under the shifter console. When i asked about it then, i was met with "why bother" and no good answers.

I'd be interested in getting it working as well, but also, now that I've had my Grom for a few weeks...i am sort of in the "why bother" camp. You don't need the wire for connecting an iPhone, the wireless Carplay is 100% seamless. So I attach my wireless keyboard dongle directly to the Grom. I suppose if you are the type to put music on thumb drives and move those around, it would make sense. But otherwise, it really probably isn't worth the effort, other than, not having a port on your console that doesn't function.

I'd be interested in thoughts on where you mount your unit as well. Mine is shoved in the glove box for now. I'm not a fan of that location. I think mounting under the glove box would be best, but i didn't spend a lot of time looking under there for a good place to mount it.

The VLine2 is 2 - 3 times bigger than that box.

Here
From what i read when i was looking at it a few months ago. No one has figured out for sure it's the right adapter. Supposedly the connector is in a different place than what people think and that the adaptor is for a connector under the shifter console. When i asked about it then, i was met with "why bother" and no good answers.

I'd be interested in getting it working as well, but also, now that I've had my Grom for a few weeks...i am sort of in the "why bother" camp. You don't need the wire for connecting an iPhone, the wireless Carplay is 100% seamless. So I attach my wireless keyboard dongle directly to the Grom. I suppose if you are the type to put music on thumb drives and move those around, it would make sense. But otherwise, it really probably isn't worth the effort, other than, not having a port on your console that doesn't function.

I'd be interested in thoughts on where you mount your unit as well. Mine is shoved in the glove box for now. I'm not a fan of that location. I think mounting under the glove box would be best, but i didn't spend a lot of time looking under there for a good place to mount it.

I found a good mounting location in my 2008 LX that is protected well.

Gotcha, thats good to know but will the OE USB port function to charge a device?

Gotcha, thats good to know but will the OE USB port function to charge a device?
I have not tested, but assume not. From my understanding you are disconnecting the USB port when you install the GROM. There are 2 plugs that get left hanging after install. I assume at least one of those is the plug for the USB. The GROM uses the USB audio input on the 2010-2011 (maybe more) models to push audio through the factory stereo. I assumed it was going to use the AUX input but that is not the case.

Here

I found a good mounting location in my 2008 LX that is protected well.

Thanks. I was considering looking at pulling up that carpet as well.. Come to think of it, under the passenger carpet in the floor board is a big hunk of styrofoam. I wonder if you could make a cutout in that and put it there. Probably not worth the effort if it fits on the side of the console tunnel like that.

Can you get to it where it is now by just pulling the carpeted trim piece off and then pulling the carpet back?

Thanks. I was considering looking at pulling up that carpet as well.. Come to think of it, under the passenger carpet in the floor board is a big hunk of styrofoam. I wonder if you could make a cutout in that and put it there. Probably not worth the effort if it fits on the side of the console tunnel like that.

Can you get to it where it is now by just pulling the carpeted trim piece off and then pulling the carpet back?
Yep!

I can easily get to it in under 30 seconds by removing the carpeted trim piece and pulling the carpet back.

After looking into this further It appears pretty easy. You can pry the OE USB out - thanks to this thread LX USB Port Not Working - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx-usb-port-not-working.1162585/

With that in mind an Amazon review stated the following -

"In my 2011 Lexus LX, I had to remove the console between the front seats to get to it. On the back side of the usb/aux plug there is a wiring harness that runs towards the rear and splits. Follow that harness to a brown plug below the cup holders, disconnect the factory cable and the PAC USB-TY2 clicks right in."

I enjoy wireless but if my passenger ever wanted to connect quickly I want them to be able to just plug in a USB.

Car-Auto-Part-USB-AUX-Interface-Adapter-86190-60040-For-Toyota-8619060040-High-Quality-NEW.jpg

Looks like I am lagging behind. I sorted out all my GROM issues by reverting to a stable firmware update and it has not cutout or dropped since via CarPlay.
I also found a cable that was plug and play to use the Factory USB connection. I will post an update SOON!

Looks like I am lagging behind. I sorted out all my GROM issues by reverting to a stable firmware update and it has not cutout or dropped since via CarPlay.
I also found a cable that was plug and play to use the Factory USB connection. I will post an update SOON!
checking in for an update, not much info for 1st gen installs

I have a Grom installed on 2008, what info are you looking for?
mainly on if it stable enough to be relied upon. Thinking of bringing my 2010 screen to the fut......... well, ab 2016 atleast

mainly on if it stable enough to be relied upon. Thinking of bringing my 2010 screen to the fut......... well, ab 2016 atleast
I've had it in my '08 for about a year and after a firmware update or two, it's been rock solid. My only issue is that I lost factory XM radio. I think it's because I left one connector undone (can't recall which) as it caused really really low audio output. I just use the XM app, so not a huge deal. I really do need to upgrade the mic that came with the Vline, as bluetooth calls are terrible and "Hey Siri" is crap as well.

I've had it in my '08 for about a year and after a firmware update or two, it's been rock solid. My only issue is that I lost factory XM radio. I think it's because I left one connector undone (can't recall which) as it caused really really low audio output. I just use the XM app, so not a huge deal. I really do need to upgrade the mic that came with the Vline, as bluetooth calls are terrible and "Hey Siri" is crap as well.
My satellite still works FYI but i did have to reinitialize it once. You can do that buy either unplugging the radio or disconnecting battery for like 20-30 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom