Update! 80-series front prop shaft into a Troopy... Yea or nay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it was not welded in the right spot you may not be able to get it perfect, but you should be able to get it a lot closer then it is.

Just unscrew the spline cap and rotate it around tell all the u-joints are lined up.

Hi , I have a troopy 78 , with 50 mm lift on it , never ever had any issue with vibration or worn out U joints .
260K 80% of it off road.
Castor correction will give you the right weight / angle on steering ,should not affect vibration.
If you have a vibration problem , address that issue first .
Someone has highlited that the new prop shaft is out of phase , 100% true .
Can't work for long like that .
In my opinion no need for a double cardan shaft .might get vibrations worse.
More parts , more moving joints , more tolerance at play.
Ever thought to change mechanic ?

ok, just got the prop shaft lined up correctly and re-installed. we'll see in the next few days how the vibration issue goes.

big thanks to everyone who opined. as usual, i got very good guidance from the excellent mechanic brains inhabiting mud.

Still vibing. I'll go ahead and call this episode a "learning experience." I'll probably go the Tom Woods way at some point and see if that doesn't cure this problem. Any other suggestions are, as always, much appreciated and welcome. Cheers.

who suggested to change from a standard prop shaft to a double cardan ?
As mentioned in my previous post , I would into where comes the vibration , and switch back to standard drive shaft .
any chance to fix a go pro under the car ?
I bet the source of vibration is not the drive shaft , but other organs .

who suggested to change from a standard prop shaft to a double cardan ?
As mentioned in my previous post , I would into where comes the vibration , and switch back to standard drive shaft .
any chance to fix a go pro under the car ?
I bet the source of vibration is not the drive shaft , but other organs .
OP states that with out the front prop shaft it runs silky smooth!
This tell me that it is in fact the front prop shaft.
He also states that befor the lift there was no Vibrations
The Double cardan shaft he has looks used and was cut and rewelded and presumably not balanced.

What are you biting it is ?

OP says no prop shaft or hubs unlocked silky smooth, that suggests a prop shaft but doesn't pinpoint the prop shaft, buuuuut assuming the prop shaft is now indeed balanced and phased the next step is 3rd member and front t case output.

However I'm not sold on a good balanced shaft after seeing the photos

Last edited:
thanks guys, we're on the same wavelength here regarding the balancing of the prop shaft. supposedly it was balanced by a good mechanic, but i'm always dealing with a third world situation here when it comes to tradesmen. most are not trained formally, most say they can do anything, few can. i'll be searching for someone who can evaluate this thing properly.

my opinion is the since you have lifted the suspension of 50 mm , IF the mechanic has just slightly rotated the front differential upwards , this will result in a much steeper angel of the intake cardan from the prop shaft .
pls double check this issue .
pls check also the silent blocks on the arms that hold in place the front axel .these also could be worn out ,resulting in a chattering action that could reverberate backwards to the pro-shaft .
how much clearance do you have from the flat spot on the axel to the rubber stop bumper ?

final update! the prop shaft works! no more vibrations.

it was a matter of finding the right machine shop where they actually knew what they were doing. would i do this again? hell no.

if i'd known before i started that you could get a brand new, custom prop shaft from places like Tom Wood's i would have gone that direction. hopefully, reading about my chaos will help someone in the future.

thanks to all for your advice. cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom