Electric fan suggestion for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info Brian. If this is a 1995 Taurus assembly, I saw it at the importer warehouse and it's very deep....won't fit my space between the radiator and water pump pulley....please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Just measured mine. The fan and shroud are about 4.5" deep at the the thickest point. And about 5" deep from the surface of the radiator fins to the back of the fan motor.

Just measured mine. The fan and shroud are about 4.5" deep at the the thickest point. And about 5" deep from the surface of the radiator fins to the back of the fan motor.
Thanks Brian. I think my setup with the fiat abarth 595 fan is thinner but I will measure in few hours...it sounds that most of you guys have much more room than I do....mine is original 2F engine with short water pump and double pulley for the ac....plus the condenser in front of the radiator....I wonder what's the difference....

Thanks Brian. I think my setup with the fiat abarth 595 fan is thinner but I will measure in few hours...it sounds that most of you guys have much more room than I do....mine is original 2F engine with short water pump and double pulley for the ac....plus the condenser in front of the radiator....I wonder what's the difference....
You're welcome. My V8 is probably a foot shorter than an F so there's that.

How’s the Derale fan holding up? Looks nice on the pic, how difficult is it to wire up?
It works well enough. I had to take the shroud off and move it to the front again and use a clutch fan on the front. The clutch fan moves more air and the the Derale wiring is easy. Have it controlled by my MSD atomic controller. Its a 2 speed fan and have the controller working both stages. I would not hesitate on purchasing again.

I need to trim my engine bay for ventilation.

It works well enough. I had to take the shroud off and move it to the front again and use a clutch fan on the front. The clutch fan moves more air and the the Derale wiring is easy. Have it controlled by my MSD atomic controller. Its a 2 speed fan and have the controller working both stages. I would not hesitate on purchasing again.

Thanks for you response

I’ll second the Taurus fan. I was getting lack luster results from my Be Cool electric fan- worked well enough around town and I even crawling. However, when pulling a hill over the pass it’d boil over every time. Installed the Taurus unit with its shroud modded to fit the stock ‘40 radiator and never had over heating problems again(3years ago). Since swapping to an ls, I never see anything over 195*. Now it’s my wiring skills that cause issues.
To that end, I pulled another one last time I was at the pick n pull. It’s either a spare or going on the hotrod truck I’m working on now. I’m also using the Volvo relay and like it for controlling the spike these fans put out when they come on. If I find a Volvo 240 fan , I’ll pick that up too.

Edit- I pushed it up over the pass last two days and it made it to 205*. Still within reason for the ls or even the old SBC.

Last edited:

Do you know what temp you typically run? Thanks

Hi
Although I shared here my electric fan solution, I want to share with you my experience.
I have a vintage air a/c and the electric fan was handling temperature fine till I would ride high rpm in a hot day with a/c on (desert trips or 70mph highway rides). On high rpm the temperature would rise up to 210F in which I had to turn off my a/c and sometimes even lower speed/rpm.

I recently installed a derale flex mechanical fan (derale 17017) and temperature is not rising above 185F in high speed trips with a/c on. On idle/traffic (about 700 rpm) it would rise to to 195 but if rpm is 1200 it would go down to 185 and lower (mechanical thermostat is playing a part here).

So my personal conclusion - go with mechanical fan! No alternator amperage consumption, no faulty relays, no thermoswitch malfunction...just a peaceful mind :)
Hope it helps...

20220811_100823.jpg

20220814_173248.jpg

I have run a Derale Stainless Flex Fan for years. One of the reasons I chose them was low RPM flow and less high RPM drag. I believe this is one of the reasons a stock radiator was able to handle the cooling even with a moderately built 350 SBC in my 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom