Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The recent fire extinguisher discussion in Broski's thread made me realize I put this off for far too long. The Element extinguishers are popular, but I'd want one as a backup and not the main unit since they're not very efficient outdoors when there is any sort of breeze.

So I knew I'd need a pressurized unit. Regular extinguishers are cool, but then I came across the Rusoh Eliminator. It has a separate co2 cartridge which means it's not pressurized until you need it (push down on yellow lever to puncture the cartridge and pressurized the tank). Because it's not constantly pressurized, you don't have to worry about it losing charge. It can also be self-serviced with a new cartridge and fresh agent. There's also a wheel on the bottom that spins an auger in the canister to help keep the powder fluffed. It's a really slick design.

To mount the unit I used their marine bracket. I welded a small plate to my 4x4Labs cargo basket and bolted it to that. Worked great in this empty space next to my fridge. I don't like the idea of having my main extinguisher this far out of reach so I'm thinking of adding an Element in the front cabin, or perhaps a 2.5lb Rusoh.

VMl6jwSh.jpeg

VPIRt1Fh.jpeg

hATX73mh.jpeg

Painted my rear bumper after 5yrs of raw steel and added some flair.

6mA9HH8h.jpeg

Also took the truck to the grand opening of my buddy's shop, Stellar Built.

ZfT5aF2h.jpeg

fAa8MWMh.jpeg

ENy4Jk3h.jpeg

And won some free stuff in a raffle

eRVmTiTh.jpeg

I work the area that shop is at and always see bad ass rigs over there. I planned to come by on Saturday but a last minute shift change prevented that from happening:(

Rig is looking damn good as always!

Over the past few weeks I've been working on getting caught up on maintenance that I let go for too long. Sometime during the last few years my motor mounts failed. That caused the fan to contact the shroud creating even more damage. The motor mounts also caused enough movement in my exhaust that the y-pipe/header gaskets failed and I had an annoying exhaust leak. So that created a nice laundry list of things to do. If I could go back in time I would have definitely replaced the damn motor mounts when I did the head gasket!

Here's a list of the parts replaced, all OEM parts:

- motor mounts
- transmission/tcase mount
- radiator
- fan
- fan shroud
- intake tube
- radiator overflow reservoir tank

Motor mounts are a massive pain in the ass to replace, especially when you don't have an engine hoist. I ended up following the tips in this thread which proved to be quite helpful. Because my axle was moved forward for the 3link, I had no access to lift the engine from the oil pan so I had to lift from the crank pulley. If you can borrow a hoist to do this job, your life will be much easier. Trying to reinstall the mounts with the engine supported by a jack is quite unnerving. One slip and you could lose several fingers.

Disconnected the draglink and lifted from the crank pulley:

vsNkx6uh.jpg

Old vs new

76MLRSqh.jpg

Old mounts were still partially attached, but ripped almost all the way through

nFRGPQth.jpg

Transmission mount also starting to separate

Qdz7JPTh.jpg

Shiny new OEM parts

AMBHHexh.jpg

First time ever seeing the foam insulation on the radiator, mine had turned to dust

03WgipXh.jpg

My original radiator probably would have given me a few more years, but I could start to see signs that it was seeping water at the crimp joints. And no way do I want to tear this apart again anytime soon. I cut off the tank of my old radiator to see how it looked. Amazingly clean after all these years.

FWnj7zhh.jpg

h6bMOGeh.jpg

While I had everything apart I also made new transmission oil hoses (Gates)

SPeF2i8h.jpg

YtVePlTh.jpg

Also made a new fitting for my transmission temp sensor

n8LMchFh.jpg

For years I've had the annoying oil level warning light on the dash so I decided to finally fix the issue. The connector had disintegrated leaving the wiring exposed. I tested the sensor per the FSM and confirmed it still worked fine so I bought a new plug (90980-11235). I found an aftermarket option that came with wiring pigtail already installed and happy to report all is working as intended! Sure I could have just removed the bulb from the dash but I like to keep things in working order. In this thread we discussed how to rewire the sensor the correct way.

RzgXL1Hh.jpg

eYjfry0h.png

I FINALLY decided to get a tcase skid! GIS/HuddExpo seems like the all around best option. I made add the transmission skid later as well.

7r4Owvrh.jpg

Manifold heat shields got a little TLC. Looks like they still have a bit of life left.

VdW05Kdh.jpg

Lastly, I cleaned my engine bay for the first time ever. I don't think I've cleaned/degreased anything under the hood since I bough the truck. It was seriously gross. Couldn't check my oil level without getting filthy. Actually surprised how good it looks when it's clean. Not as pristine as @TYM4FUN engine but Paul is on a whole other level!

POhmyeDh.jpg

For those interested, I finally resolved this problem with the stabilizer. I spent some time researching Bilsten 5100-series stabilizers and found one off the big Chevy 2500HD trucks that was just the right length.

In order to make it work I had to cut out both bushings and install some new ones so it would fit the big bolt I had welded on the tube clamp and also the factory mounting stud up on the frame.

The shock I used is the Bilstein 33-196619. It has an extended length of 22.46" and is 14.55" collapsed.

Feels a bit better than the old OME I had on there too :)

12040305195_79aea91813_h.jpg

Good morning.
With the steering stabilizer how did you remove the stud shown in the picture, does it just unbolt, and which bushings did you replace the Bilstein ones with?

1655990087995.png

Really digging the round head light bezel & grill.:smokin:
PEnJgeuh.jpg

Last edited:
SLICK ROCK WHEELING!

Two weeks we had a great Slick Rock trail run with a few other cruisers. 8 rigs total, one broken rear shock mount, one cracked radius arm bracket which punched a hole in the axle housing. Good times!

Pt1ZZd8h.jpeg

DNBYlVXh.jpeg

TQ2dDuNh.jpeg

gaGsiDuh.jpeg

9nwjD0Gh.jpeg

GRujq8jh.jpeg

yKafXbih.jpeg

BRC4573h.jpeg

ZgBLJeDh.jpeg

vx1XMqZh.jpeg

dKBJ6PCh.jpeg

LJUaXMBh.jpeg

fgTbJqnh.jpeg

bCNI9Xoh.jpeg

nORdvEwh.jpeg

ixoKJGWh.jpeg

GRwhGVWh.jpeg

VuSUHbeh.jpeg

And lastly, picked up a new camera so I did some urban wheeling to test it out. Haven't used my old camera in years as smartphone cameras have gotten much better, but you can't beat the image quality of a DSLR!

4v1eH7Yh.jpeg

V157M4ph.jpeg

hGFSEb3h.jpeg

HCE4JV7h.jpeg

Being that I recently had to repair my drivers side and then reinforce both radius arm brackets, I’m interested in how you guys dealt with that on the trail. My housing was not affected, only the bracket itself broke completely off rear of the housing. The last rock crawling trip prior to me discovering it in my garage was a couple months earlier. Kinda weird.

Your rig is looking good man……

Being that I recently had to repair my drivers side and then reinforce both radius arm brackets, I’m interested in how you guys dealt with that on the trail. My housing was not affected, only the bracket itself broke completely off rear of the housing. The last rock crawling trip prior to me discovering it in my garage was a couple months earlier. Kinda weird.

Your rig is looking good man……

Thanks Steve! It was @Outsane that cracked the mount. Luckily they had a grinder and welder to get it repaired, otherwise it'd probably need a tow home since it would have been unsafe to drive. It was quite the break!

j7ccO76h.jpeg

334Heafh.jpeg

Wh

Where do you get these headlights?
Ebay.

Don't expect anywhere near OEM quality, and don't expect them to be plug and play. Pretty simple install still, but the wiring is not direct plug in.

Got the Speedi Sleeves installed. They went on relatively drama-free. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing?
How did the speedi-sleeve work out?

How did the speedi-sleeve work out?

So far so good! Have had several trips since these were installed and so far I don't see any signs of oil leaks.

I've waited long enough... post up those 38s.:steer:

I've waited long enough... post up those 38s.:steer:
Nothing exciting to report yet. Just some tires in an empty garage until I get the truck back!

8K5qBY7h.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom