What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I moved the radio from the center console to the dash (where the ham radio was) and I swapped out the Yaesu FT-2800 with a ID-880H. I put the 880 in the center console.

880 with door closed.jpg

880 with door opened.jpg

Under hood temps have def gone up with the turbo. I've got air temp sensors in both the air intake pipe and charge air pipe so I can see how hot it's getting. So today I built a shroud around the turbo using standard duct parts and then insulated it all. Took it for a good test drive and the results are night and day cooler I'm talking like a 50 or more degree drop and under hood temps feel almost normal and charge air temp also dropped considerably. I've got it plumbed into one of the holes that goes into the cowl and you can feel the heat coming up through the vents. I might take it one step further and plumb the carb cooling fan into it and switch it so I could literally blow the heat out if I wanted to. A small hood scoop facing backwards would be the ultimate but I'm not hacking up my hood.

IMG_20220603_172529.jpg
IMG_20220603_194937.jpg

Under hood temps have def gone up with the turbo. I've got air temp sensors in both the air intake pipe and charge air pipe so I can see how hot it's getting. So today I built a shroud around the turbo using standard duct parts and then insulated it all. Took it for a good test drive and the results are night and day cooler I'm talking like a 50 or more degree drop and under hood temps feel almost normal and charge air temp also dropped considerably. I've got it plumbed into one of the holes that goes into the cowl and you can feel the heat coming up through the vents. I might take it one step further and plumb the carb cooling fan into it and switch it so I could literally blow the heat out if I wanted to. A small hood scoop facing backwards would be the ultimate but I'm not hacking up my hood.

View attachment 3024636View attachment 3024637
That's the first Cruiser I've seen that can time travel at 88 mph

i brought back 12262-61020 from the dead ..........

1654340816755.png

sir, can you make me a complete kit? and how much would you charge? i have fj80 1991 and its so slow i need you help.
I'm sorry but this was a very ambitious project for me and a ton of work, I'm not a professional welder or fabricator. If I had another 3fe on a stand that I could use as a jig I'd consider building some manifolds as that is the hardest part, but I don't. For me to build another I'd have to remove my whole turbo system and build the manifold off my engine and I just can't do that.

Installed the fusible link set from Toyota Matt today. That was just in time for one of the wires which was badly frayed. I'm not sure what the frayed wire is connected to...it is the wire with the white covering in the "after" photo. I'm sure it is something important which would have stopped working at just the worst moment so I'm glad this is done.

Fusible_link_old.jpeg

Fusible_link_new.jpeg

Replaced my crappy aftermarket clutch master / slave cylinders with OEM Aisin. Got tired of having to replace these every year, and now my clutch feels NEW.
And finally got around to ditching the gutted smog pump with a JimC idler. Again, stuff I should've done years ago.
image1.jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg

Oil was leaking out the driver side rear wheel, and upon investigation, it seems I have been making metal for a while. That's a sad way for a Poly Performance rear shaft to die. Are there any other aftermarket shafts available?

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

67601029805__6FADFF03-7E2E-443F-A84B-EEC04E2F8DFC.jpg

View attachment 3024636View attachment 3024637

Carefull with this install!

Its great work (awesome to turbo a 3FE) but you're porting air from around your exhaust into your cabin fresh air intake. Any exhaust leaks, even a tiny one, will put carbon monoxide into the cab and (literally) kill you.

It's also where your AC draws air so unless you live in a cold climate it will be crazy hot in the cab.

Cooling with the carb fan is a great idea, just send it down or into the fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom