Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It fits and everything works! I just need to add the capture nuts and finish skinning the ends and it is done until paint. I love it!

3AF9DF4C-7AE2-42F4-B8F5-CE18F48B469E.jpeg

29428C66-E61F-46DC-9C27-8E40B2C23D0B.jpeg

Top shelf Dennis. Top shelf. You are an inspiration!!! Thanks for never stopping the thinking. It’s probably a curse at times. I have many shower “ need grease pencil” to jot down moments. 😁

Last edited:
Thanks CD, Your right the learning, planning, thinking, and research is hard to turn off. I make notes in my phone all the time to try to keep up with different ideas until I figure it out. It is the fun part of the build but I am looking forward to getting this thing done, so I can sleep. I appreciate the kind words.

Very clean indeed, Dennis.

I have many shower “ need grease pencil” to jot down moments. 😁

Our new bathroom is bright white 3x5 subway tile. I saw little note cards. Shall we say...that did not go well 😬

Holy
F
U
C
K
I
N
G
WOW!!!!!

I just looked through your whole thread. You have excellent taste, ingenuity beyond words. Perseverance of a god and fabricating skills beyond my best expectations of myself by the time I die. Hats off!!!!

Holy
F
U
C
K
I
N
G
WOW!!!!!

I just looked through your whole thread. You have excellent taste, ingenuity beyond words. Perseverance of a god and fabricating skills beyond my best expectations of myself by the time I die. Hats off!!!!
Thanks for the kind words! Honestly I am learning as I go and I still have a long way to go.

The shifter console is finished until it is time to paint. The finished product turned out really nice, considering I started with two old tool boxes. I am excited to see this part of the project come together. I spent a lot of time dreaming up different ideas for how to make this console look vintage. This was definitely the best option.

Here are a few more pictures and I will move on to the next part of the build.

429A531C-09BE-4B95-87F5-8C2F39A3C254.jpeg

B11ED035-4DF2-4ABB-98A3-2A72864B6B55.jpeg

A7795A52-76C5-4993-926B-7FECD212B61E.jpeg

The shifter console is finished until it is time to paint. The finished product turned out really nice, considering I started with two old tool boxes. I am excited to see this part of the project come together. I spent a lot of time dreaming up different ideas for how to make this console look vintage. This was definitely the best option.

Here are a few more pictures and I will move on to the next part of the build.

View attachment 3025640

View attachment 3025642

View attachment 3025643
Love the console as it sits, no paint. Clear coat. Of course, I don’t know your vision for the final look of your truck, so paintless might not be appropriate, but this is one of the rare “patina” aesthetics projects I really enjoy, as it shows the path of your design.

I pulled the cab off and welded up the holes I didn’t need on the firewall, then did the same on the dash. I drilled new holes for my switches. I am hoping to finish this cab soon, so I can put it on for the last time. Getting close.

A08EECC7-031A-4B30-8DD7-F869CBFA76C8.jpeg

F167BA1D-B126-4A32-9A4C-6CE391432C5C.jpeg

For those that have not had to fill a bunch of holes in the dash or firewall yet, this kit by Bob Drake made the work move a lot faster. I still had to make a few of the bigger whole plugs but not having to make all of them saved me a bunch of time.

A12998EB-EC82-4D4D-97A0-53D3E886BF62.jpeg

Wow, never even crossed my mind that something like this existed. Would have definitely saved a ton of time. Great post!

I had set this weekend aside to get the cab painted where I had planned to paint anyway but the weather didn’t agree. We need the rain but wish it could have started after this weekend. I had a window of good weather and was able to get the undercarriage, firewall and inside of the cab blasted. Where the original red primer was still intact I left it. It took fifteen 50lb bags of coal slag to get the job done. I would have gladly paid someone to blast it for me but because I wanted to keep the outside intact I opted to do it myself.

The blaster found a few pinholes in the floor I need to address. The plan is to coat the floor and seems with por15, then epoxy primer, paint, lizard skin on the floor and undercarriage followed by raptor liner.

DE4D880B-6662-4B3B-9387-A102AC0C0797.jpeg

E3023D47-14C0-423D-A0BA-F9702CA1E2F8.jpeg

Big plans for the weekend, if all goes well I will get the painted parts of the cab done.

I spent my morning setting this diy paint both in the garage. I need to do one last final prep wipe down and finish going through my list of supplies to confirm I have everything.

I am looking forward to getting this part done. It might have been easier to paint the entire truck but the patina exterior will be a little more worry free after I start using it. I hope anyway.

BC4D177D-7F66-458F-8306-D666EE151954.jpeg

81427FFC-6ECB-413B-BA59-6EACD95AA199.jpeg

Big plans for the weekend, if all goes well I will get the painted parts of the cab done.

I spent my morning setting this diy paint both in the garage. I need to do one last final prep wipe down and finish going through my list of supplies to confirm I have everything.

I am looking forward to getting this part done. It might have been easier to paint the entire truck but the patina exterior will be a little more worry free after I start using it. I hope anyway.

View attachment 3048343

View attachment 3048344
Good call on keeping the patina exterior. No brainer imo when it comes to peace of mind. Park it and walk away worry free. Going with the original color? Any sound/heat deadener?

Good call on keeping the patina exterior. No brainer imo when it comes to peace of mind. Park it and walk away worry free. Going with the original color? Any sound/heat deadener?
I used the POR-15 on all the bare seams that I am painting over and in places where I did not feel the media blasting removed all potential for rust. Over the that and the bare metal I will apply some red epoxy primer, then Horizonal Blue but in a satin finish followed by clear coat. After that all cures it will get Lizard Skin insulation liner underneath, on the firewall and the interior floor; then cover the Lizard skin with tintable raptor liner using the base color from the Horizontal Blue.

Thanks for you vote for the patina. I agree it is a low stress finish.

Use some damplifier pro Second Skin Audio: Soundproofing & Noise Control Solutions - https://www.secondskinaudio.com/
Under the trans tunnel after epoxy and b4 the lizard skin. It will really help keep cab Temps down. A lot of heat comes from the tunnel
I looked up that amplifier and I am going to pass. My plan on the tunnel is to coat it on both sides with the Lizard Skin ceramic insulation coating and then cover it on both sides with the raptor liner to add some durability and sound deadening. I really hope those two products will do the job.

I looked up that amplifier and I am going to pass. My plan on the tunnel is to coat it on both sides with the Lizard Skin ceramic insulation coating and then cover it on both sides with the raptor liner to add some durability and sound deadening. I really hope those two products will do the job.
One thing you might want to do before painting if you haven't thought about it is paint all the enclosed body channels. Will help keep rust away if moisture gets inside.

One thing you might want to do before painting if you haven't thought about it is paint all the enclosed body channels. Will help keep rust away if moisture gets inside.
I did coat some of the enclosed channels that I had access to while making repairs. I am not planning to cut open the other channels though. I purchased some of the Eastwood encapsulator to treat the remaining channels. It comes with a tube that can be extended into the channels to coat the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom