Unable to remove filter cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2017 GX460

As the title says, I am trying to change the oil but the filter wrench slips off since filter cap is on too tight. No room for me to stick some big channel-locks to remove… Any suggestions?

Also going to order a new oem cap, should I get the aluminum one or stick with current type?

Thanks!

2017 GX460

As the title says, I am trying to change the oil but the filter wrench slips off since filter cap is on too tight. No room for me to stick some big channel-locks to remove… Any suggestions?

Also going to order a new oem cap, should I get the aluminum one or stick with current type?

Thanks!
Yep, these plastic housings are notorious for this. Suggest you change for the aluminium version. Are you able to source one of these removal tools? Should work better than your wrench.

Are you using the correct tool? You need a filter housing adapter. They sell them at every auto parts store. I think it is 64mm and toyota/lexus specific. Slip a socket wrench right into it. Easy.

Edit... see link posted above

I used a filter wrench bought a Oreilly’’s. I will order the one on the link above to see if it makes a difference

I used a filter wrench bought a Oreilly’’s. I will order the one on the link above to see if it makes a difference
Note that I used the link above as an example, I don’t have that exact same one so can’t vouch for how well it works

Metal is usually always better than plastic, except in weight savings, and that's not what this is about.

Metal is usually always better than plastic, except in weight savings, and that's not what this is about.
To add to this, I see zero design/performance/maintenance/cost advantage to a horizontal, plastic-capped, cartridge oil filters over the good ol' canister filter. What happened? and why???

Reactions: r2m
Just kidding. Alright I’ll help you out.

You need this filter housing adapter, a 1-1/16” socket, with a 1/2” ratchet.

You gotta make sure the adapter has the right notches.

568D8A51-B999-46B9-8E78-1C56F4F0CF69.jpeg

09ED605D-C586-4D1E-A830-3ABE77C87334.jpeg

8B6C40F8-38C1-4C48-B2BF-C6431B151EF5.jpeg

The cap is this one.
Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4 and More - 64mm 14 Flute Precision CNC Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Removal Tool https://a.co/djRuveu

Looks updated from my cap and the socket size may be different. But you get the idea.

Just kidding. Alright I’ll help you out.

You need this filter housing adapter, a 1-1/16” socket, with a 1/2” ratchet.

You gotta make sure the adapter has the right notches.

View attachment 3026571

View attachment 3026572

View attachment 3026573
The filter wrench I have doesn't require a socket. I just use my 3/8" ratchet with a small extension. I'm sure there are several versions of this thing. But if you're in need of one immediately because you drained the oil and now can't get the filter out, the 2 dealerships that sponsor our club both carry them in stock in the parts dept. Maybe the dealer close to you also does.

To add to this, I see zero design/performance/maintenance/cost advantage to a horizontal, plastic-capped, cartridge oil filters over the good ol' canister filter. What happened? and why???
Looks like it's 'greener' to use the current filter plus outer housing setup than metal spin-on filters. Link

The filter wrench I have doesn't require a socket. I just use my 3/8" ratchet with a small extension. I'm sure there are several versions of this thing. But if you're in need of one immediately because you drained the oil and now can't get the filter out, the 2 dealerships that sponsor our club both carry them in stock in the parts dept. Maybe the dealer close to you also does.
This is true. You can use 3/8” drive but if it is on that tight, the square opening will get deformed. If you really need to torque on it to get it loose, then the socket with 1/2” drive is the way to go. This is from experience.

This is true. You can use 3/8” drive but if it is on that tight, the square opening will get deformed. If you really need to torque on it to get it loose, then the socket with 1/2” drive is the way to go. This is from experience.
Good to know. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom