TLCA 2022 Rubithon Huft's Thursday Breakfast Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the the official 2022 Rubithon Thursday Breakfast Morning thread.

I am looking forward to meeting you all on this years trip. My name is Doug, I will be leading the run this year with my co-driver Dominik aged 17 and my 6 year old daughter( and 5 year Rubithon Veteran) Isabella.

Brian Flynn will be co-leading, you might call him the "tailgunner". He is very experienced and is a medic.
I have driven this trail a bunch of times in a both a mini truck and in my 80 series. The 80 I will be driving is setup in a pretty typical fashion with 3" of lift, 35" tires, 4.88 difs., low t case gears, front and rear lockers, all the requisite armor, dents, winch, snorkel, fridge, tools.

This will be a traditional Loon entrance to the main Rubicon Trail. This unique run has a pre-paid private breakfast at the Ice House Resort before we start the trail. The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.

There are a few "motel room" cabins at the resort, some RV spots and a tent camping area. The rooms are way rustic but "OK".
I usually fuel up at fresh pond before the turnoff to ice house road. Topping off at ice house is not a bad idea (be prepared to spend $10 a gallon). I will pack a Jerry can just in case, though after topping off at Ice House and driving straight through and exiting at Tahoma I have never needed to dip into a Jerry can.

Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake were we will camp.
On group runs like this we will be taking the easier lines and getting everyone there safely. I will do everything that I can to get us there early enough to have some down time and a swim before dark. Hopefully with drought conditions Buck Island Lake wont be a shallow muddy pond full of stumps. With a sizeable group it is important to keep things moving and stay in our rigs for short stops. a prepacked lunch is a great idea.

Friday we will continue on to Rubicon Springs where folks will typically scatter and find a camp spot. At that point the official word is that the group run is complete and we are all on our own for camping. Groups often stay together to camp and some of us will do that but it is not required.
Sunday everyone mostly exits up Cadillac Hill, there is a local 4x4 club that provides assistance.

The Rubithon signup page will list mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. Minimum tire size is 35's and a 3" lift, you should have serious armor and a strong passenger to stack rocks doesn't hurt either.
Make sure a heavy strap (no hooks on the end) and a fire extinguisher are readily accessible. I like the strap on the passenger floor board so I'm not hunting for it or dealing with a swing out bumper while in a precarious situation.
I will walk around camp and offer a wrench so that everyone can check their knuckle studs before during and after each day on the trail. If you are driving an 80, I do have some tips for mechanical preparation, sway bar advice, etc. I do carry specific parts for an 80 series such as a steering box, birfield and all the parts to repair a knuckle/studs (minus the actual knuckle), tie rod ends and a spark plug repair kit (don't ask).
We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. I recommend obtaining a license but don't let that stop you from picking up a radio. I have Baofeng hand held, they are inexpensive. I have a file (chirp) that can be uploaded to the radio which I can share ahead of time. It is very easy if you have a sync cable.
If you have made it and read down this far. ;) It would be nice to get to know each other a little better before joining up on the trail. This is a good place for introductions, to ask questions, and get answers.
Doug
AKA Devil's Slide Doug

Hey Doug, can I go into freq. mode on the boefang and just adjust the freq to that above ? Will that effect the set freq. in channel mode that Andy put in for monitoring Rubi and the PMC chat ?

Yup. You can just enter the numbers In frequency mode. If you have the same model, I could send a chirp file as an email attachment.

What's up Doug. Moab was a blast, looking forward to getting out on the Rubicon with you in August.

Carey

Probably coming on the breakfast run again this year Doug. You will remember my red FJ40 from last year. But I may bring the 85 pickup this year. We will see which one is running better as we get closer.

Probably coming on the breakfast run again this year Doug. You will remember my red FJ40 from last year. But I may bring the 85 pickup this year. We will see which one is running better as we get closer.
Awesome, My 40 wont be ready so I will be in the 80 again.

Hello Doug,
I have a question on the handheld radio. The Baofeng radio UV5 8 watt model, is this the one you are talking about?
Dennis

Hello Doug,
I have a question on the handheld radio. The Baofeng radio UV5 8 watt model, is this the one you are talking about?
Dennis
There are various models available. I have a UV-5R and an UV-82HP

Doug, I may need to add a breakfast to my invoice. Easier to just add it when we are up there and just pay the dinner?

Doug, I may need to add a breakfast to my invoice. Easier to just add it when we are up there and just pay the dinner?
It's best to contact registration (Ross Woody) ahead of time so that the correct amount of breakfasts can be ordered. That being said, sometimes there are no shows/cancellations and we have extras?

Hey Doug,
My name’s Jake; doing my latecomer registration at the moment. I’d love to join in on the breakfast run! I’m familiar with baofengs and BK radios and will be rolling with a Baofeng.

Passenger/Copilot will be my cousin Ben, his professional experience is pretty sweet, Navy Carrier engine room mechanic, and currently an electrician for the county of Lake in the Kelseyville/Middletown water district. I’m just a dumb logger myself…

I’ll be running my new to me rig, 88 4runner, linked and locked in the front on 80 axles and 37’s with a single 4.7 case. It runs well and the winch works :)
At the moment the only rig prep I have planned is a new t case output seal and maybe a rear locker (harrup ideally, I’ll be driving through sac a couple times over the coming weekend so if anybody’s got a locked 9.5 carrier with or without 5.29’s let me know).

I’ve been told that my rig has run Rubicon and Fordyce as it sits (and sometimes doubles as a daily, better fuel economy that the duramax for sure), but I’d like a bit of guidance as the extent of my wheeling is limited to some hairball north coast spots and steep narrow jeep roads up in the Geysers area of Sonoma Lake Mendo.

Cant wait to cool off with you all way up high this august. Till then, thanks for all your hard work and care.

Hey Doug,
My name’s Jake; doing my latecomer registration at the moment. I’d love to join in on the breakfast run! I’m familiar with baofengs and BK radios and will be rolling with a Baofeng.

Passenger/Copilot will be my cousin Ben, his professional experience is pretty sweet, Navy Carrier engine room mechanic, and currently an electrician for the county of Lake in the Kelseyville/Middletown water district. I’m just a dumb logger myself…

I’ll be running my new to me rig, 88 4runner, linked and locked in the front on 80 axles and 37’s with a single 4.7 case. It runs well and the winch works :)
At the moment the only rig prep I have planned is a new t case output seal and maybe a rear locker (harrup ideally, I’ll be driving through sac a couple times over the coming weekend so if anybody’s got a locked 9.5 carrier with or without 5.29’s let me know).

I’ve been told that my rig has run Rubicon and Fordyce as it sits (and sometimes doubles as a daily, better fuel economy that the duramax for sure), but I’d like a bit of guidance as the extent of my wheeling is limited to some hairball north coast spots and steep narrow jeep roads up in the Geysers area of Sonoma Lake Mendo.

Cant wait to cool off with you all way up high this august. Till then, thanks for all your hard work and care.
Sounds like you have the right parts. Just make sure it's buttoned up mechanically speaking. I would drive it and make sure the kinks are worked out of it. A rear locker is pretty important. See you up there. Say hi to my cousins in your neck of the woods (Fossa family).

How many rigs are in this Run ? Thinking of tagging along if ya'll don't mind. It's going to be me my 10 year old boy and 16 year old daughter. Nothing like starting a good wheeling trip with some good eattin' !

How many rigs are in this Run ? Thinking of tagging along if ya'll don't mind. It's going to be me my 10 year old boy and 16 year old daughter. Nothing like starting a good wheeling trip with some good eattin' !
Just make sure to register through the proper channels. Looking forward to meeting you.

Hello all,
Me and my buddy cheyenne trucker, have been planning this trip for about 20 years. We have both been building,changing, fixing and driving our fj40's all this time. Cheyenne Trucker has a 69 fj40 and mine is a 63. Both our rigs are ready, but we decided that with the cost of fuel and everything else these days that we would flip a coin or something and just go in 1 rig. Right now we are planing on bringing cheyenne trucker's 1969 fj40.

Doug, question. I called the ice house to get a reservation for wen. night camping and then leaving our tow rig their. Julie at the ice house said she had not heard from any one from the TLCA. It's not realy a question, I just wanted to pass that along.

Well i just wanted to say hey to you all and we look forward to meeting every one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom