Inner axle seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found this in the parking lot today.

IMG_20220601_193310.jpg

Fluid is the new lucas red gear oil I just put in last month.

I am guessing inner axle seal..

What else could cause a leak like thus? I am assuming a full rebuild is in order or can I just replace the inner seal and clean/re-pack everything else?

breather clogged? just because some pushes past might not mean they have gone bad. How old are the seals?

Breather is a good call.
If it's not clogged, use only Toyota inner seals.
I've used ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS, nothing compares to Toyota stuff.

breather clogged? just because some pushes past might not mean they have gone bad. How old are the seals?

The axles and 3rd were pulled last month to replace the arb seals inside the diff. The breathers were double checked while it was apart and they are not clogged. We replaced the seals than and filled it up with new fluid. My buddy who helped and honestly did most of the work has installed and set up hundreds of ARB's and gear sets but he has never worked on an 80 series. I am thinking he either screwed the pooch with the seal or the seal was just a POS non oem seal.

Breather is a good call.
If it's not clogged, use only Toyota inner seals.
I've used ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS, nothing compares to Toyota stuff.

Axle breathers are good. I ordered all my seals from @cruiseroutfit , I am not sure what brand they sold me but I think they were not OEM seals. He might have said they were trail gear or something.

The part # for the axle seals on my invoice was FA35010.

I am thinking I will just get the front knuckles completely rebuilt because I have no idea when they were last done on this rig. I will throw in some offset trunion bearings for caster while I am at it and swap the worn out caster bushings for stock oem bushings at the same time.

Hope you post about the trunion bearing install. I have wanted to try those offsets but wasn't sure how i could do it an get them set in properly. put in the delta arms instead. haha. still curious about them.
I have the same seals on mine with no leaks. I had my cruiser sitting for several months and the grease started to separate... but still no gear oil contamination. If the axle shaft didn't go in carefully maybe it was damaged or the spring pushed out?

Hope you post about the trunion bearing install.

I had them in my 91 for 3 years. They were awesome with zero issues but I didn't do the install.

I had them in my 91 for 3 years. They were awesome with zero issues but I didn't do the install.
OK well looking at getting another 80. I will ping you when i get to that part.

When you replace those inner seals inspect the axel shaft to see if the seal has worn a groove in it. If it has you need to set the new seal in about 0.02" to the new seal rides on an untouched portion of the axel. Witts end makes a special driver for this purpose.

Won't matter what brand of seal you use if it's installed in a grooved area it won't seal properly.

Also as to your question about reusing stuff; if the bearings and races have been replaced in the last 30k or so miles they are probably good to clean and reuse. Older than that and I would replace them just so you aren't going back in again sooner than needed. In my experience the seals should be replaced regardless of age/miles as most don't hold up well to the removal process.

Axle shafts with a groove worn in where the seal lips ride??

Edit ^^^ Beat me to it.

When you replace those inner seals inspect the axel shaft to see if the seal has worn a groove in it.

Axle shafts with a groove worn in where the seal lips ride??

Edit ^^^ Beat me to it.

Good advice guys, I will make sure the axle gets a good inspection.

But honestly I don't think the axle is grooved. It is a chromoly shaft in a part time truck. I hasn't leaked in 30,000 miles I have put on the rig. I am pretty sure the new seal just got botched when everything got put back together last month.

if the bearings and races have been replaced in the last 30k or so miles they are probably good to clean and reuse. Older than that and I would replace them just so you aren't going back in again sooner than needed. In my experience the seals should be replaced regardless of age/miles as most don't hold up well to the removal process.

Yeah, I have no idea when the front was last serviced, it's been at least 2 years and 30,000 miles so I am just going for the full overhaul.

I have the cruiser outfitters knuckle kit ready to go in, and something I randomly read on here today made me question if the inner seals they supply are OEM or not. They don’t look like the marlin crawler style I think they used to come with, but I’m going to look again tomorrow. I know it’s a good kit either way, but if they aren’t OEM, I might still source those since I don’t want to have to go back in there.. seems like OEM gets the best feedback over time, but it’s hard to say what’s what, considering all the other factors that can lead to leaks when doing the job. Certainly planning to be very careful with installation, inspecting shafts, and I have the offset driver ready.

Last edited:
Found this in the parking lot today.

View attachment 3023074

Fluid is the new lucas red gear oil I just put in last month.

I am guessing inner axle seal..

What else could cause a leak like thus? I am assuming a full rebuild is in order or can I just replace the inner seal and clean/re-pack everything else?
Looks to me like there's no GREASE in that knuckle, just fluid, as the ball is "dry" other than the obvious fluid on it.

Is it possible the ARB seals are leaking and pressurizing the axle housing pushing out the gear oil? The ball seals are the weakest point in the system if the housing vent is clogged or not able to allow that much air pressure release.

That is an INSANE amount of fluid to leak out while in a store. Something must be pressurized?!? Or is the seal even in there at all? A normal leak just gives you BIRF soup.

I haven't had luck with Toyota OEM seals on my Nitro birfs, switched to the Marlin's and they've held up great for me.

Looks to me like there's no GREASE in that knuckle, just fluid, as the ball is "dry" other than the obvious fluid on it.

It could definitely be low on grease, I don't have any idea of the service history on these knuckles.

Is it possible the ARB seals are leaking and pressurizing the axle housing pushing out the gear oil?

I just had the ARB's out a month ago and replaced all the seals because it used to puke a bunch of oil out of the compressor. I have used the lockers a few times sense re sealing them with zero problems so I am leaning towards a botched up seal from putting everything back together last month.

That is an INSANE amount of fluid to leak out while in a store. Something must be pressurized?!? Or is the seal even in there at all? A normal leak just gives you BIRF soup.

I haven't had luck with Toyota OEM seals on my Nitro birfs, switched to the Marlin's and they've held up great for me.

It was in my work parking lot for 11 hours when I took that photo. I don't think it was pressurized, the front locker was definitely disengaged and the conpressor turned off.

Before I went to work I noticed the leak but the puddle at home was a lot smaller. I am not sure why it leaked so bad at work. Maybe sitting for 11hrs in 90 degree temps through the heat of the day let it warm up and really flow.

Welp, I just ordered full rebuild kits from @cruiseroutfit with the OEM seals. The seals in it now are Japanese aftermarket. If I have this problem again I will try the marlin seals.

I am going to take it to my friends shop on Tuesday to get the knuckles rebuilt along with an AC service and a drain and fill on the tranny while it's in the shop.

Worst part is I just sold my motorcycle so I am currently daily driving the cruiser. I can certainly keep her topped off the next few days but shouldn't I be fine to drive it with low fluid in the front dif in rear wheel drive/2wd around town? There shouldn't be anything turning in front axle right?

Nothing should rotate. But you may be on dry bearings... Maybe not. Replacing the bearings then .....just don't push it too far to ruin spindles.

Nothing should rotate. But you may be on dry bearings... Maybe not. Replacing the bearings then .....just don't push it too far to ruin spindles.

I am just going to keep an eye on it. If I get a few more large puddles like the one in the photo I will just top it off. But I am guessing I can milk it along until Tuesday. My commute to work is only 4.5 miles one way.

Checked the axle seals that came with the sumo gear kit from cruiser outfitters (purchased last year), and they are a NOK BH4371E

Not to jump in your thread here, but with factory axles and all, anyone have thoughts on feeling like I should grab some OEM seals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom