tranny tech 403-thats 4 on the tree! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to give you a call :) ….. and figure out how to mail the awkward early steering box to you.
I shipped someone a 45 rear driveshaft (+/- 4’ long) by snail mail… can’t imagine a steering box being much worse.

Build a cardboard box & bring it to post office. :D

So a 3D printed adapter was made! Huge thanks to @Bullzi and @blbuck12 for the drafting, modeling and printing. Adapter needs one more little tweak and then I think we are ready for metal. :)
DE93A7CD-7122-4ED0-9078-C610D5E31199.jpeg

Sorry if I missed it, what will the shift pattern look like? Any idea yet if it will fit under a newer tunnel? I believe the 3 speed tunnels are too short?

Sorry if I missed it, what will the shift pattern look like? Any idea yet if it will fit under a newer tunnel? I believe the 3 speed tunnels are too short?
Working on fitment. Hopefully a clean solution can be determined to address any hump clearance issues. Have a couple ideas on how to make it work. :) As for the shift pattern. I am not sure yet how that will play out, I haven't done a comparison of that but will soon.

If you can picture the four on the floor shift pattern rotated 90 degrees up onto the column, that is exactly what it will be

First gate(lever closest to the driver) shifts down from the horizontal only to engage reverse.
Second gate (lever in middle position from front to back) shifts up for first, down for second.
Third gate( lever closest to dash) shifts up for 3rd, down for 4th.

There was never any question that the linkage would swing far enough up and down to engage both ends of the gate. The question was whether the guide plate would interfere with the range requirements for three gates instead of two. As I recall, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not.😊

If you can picture the four on the floor shift pattern rotated 90 degrees up onto the column, that is exactly what it will be

First gate(lever closest to the driver) shifts down from the horizontal only to engage reverse.
Second gate (lever in middle position from front to back) shifts up for first, down for second.

There was never any question that the linkage would swing far enough up and down to engage both ends of the gate. The question was whether the guide plate would interfere with the range requirements for three gates instead of two. As I recall, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not.😊
It is super cool that the range of motion all works! :D

That’s what I was wondering on the pattern: would R be up and on it’s own throw or would 4 be down and on it’s own. Can’t wait to see it in action!

What bushing? The shift rod is captive on the ends only. There is no supportive bushing along the length of the steering shaft:
Edit: part number for the end bushing is 33572-36010 . Still available from Toyota!
View attachment 2894916
I'm looking for 33572, 33573 and 33579. I was able to find the 33572, so just need the other two. As for fabrication, I have enthusiasm but no skills or equipment.

I need to give you a call :) ….. and figure out how to mail the awkward early steering box to you.
@StaleAle sent me TWO steering boxes, head to tail. Balanced the shipping box out nicely.😉

Last edited:
I'm looking for 33572, 33573 and 33579. I was able to find the 33572, so just need the other two. As for fabrication, I have enthusiasm but no skills or equipment.
I’m sure they could be made with basic hand tools. As for skill, the only way to get skilled is to get your hands dirty (practice).

People have thrown all these parts in the trash by the hundreds over the last 40 years. Most people were happy to convert to floor shift back in the day.

No kidding! I am sure I tossed all my 3 on the tree linkage when I did my H42 conversion :(

As someone that has wanted to go back 3 on the tree (and has the parts), but having a tired 1F, this would open HUGE possibilities for me!

Any updates? My blue 1970 whispered to me the other night over a couple high abv/ibu IPA’s that it would LOVE to be a test mule for the 4 on the tree conversion…..

Yes! There has been progress. We had to make one small change on the adapter which we tested via 3D printing, it all looks good and I think it’s ready now for a metal prototype 2.0 :bounce: , which means we will need to do a full test in a rig to troubleshoot any additional roadblocks beyond just the plate adapter.

Bit of a delay there but the metal prototype is now in the works and should be here by mid June. Very excited :)

Is the shifter plate going to be newly built cover that will entirely replace the existing one on the 4-speed transmissions? Or will it be the adapter plate that bolts on the 2-piece transmission cover allowing the conversion?

I'm asking because my 4-speed is an early h-41 and the tranmsion cover is a 1-piece slab of steel with only a single hole large enough to allow the floor shifter cane to fit through. In the pictures provided earlier in this thread, it shows a later style 4-speed transmission that comes apart in 2 pieces and you can remove the top-plate and attach the "4 on the tree adapter".

I can provide a picture later on how my transmission top-plate is. Otherwise, I might need to source out a later 4-speed top-plate to attach on my h41 and then use your "four on the tree adapter".

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom