Less aggressive, more "road oriented" AT tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to hear experiences from those that are running less aggressing AT tires on their Hundy. Currently, I've got C-load rated Toyo Open County C/Ts in 285/75-16. I've had these now for about 3.5 years and 35K miles. Pros: I like the way they look, the driving/road manners are fine for their size and tread pattern, great snow and ice performance, and they are a tough, hard-wearing tire. I imagine they'll last another 15 to 20K. Cons: They are big, heavy, steering is sluggish, acceleration is sluggish, and fuel economy is reduced (a bigger consideration now than 3 years ago). In the last 10K or so, they've also starting cupping somewhat, which has introduced a lot of annoying noise and vibration, especially when coming to a stop.

I'm not sure when I will be replacing these--maybe soon, maybe not--but I am considering a less-aggressive SL-rated tire. 95% of my driving is on-road, and what off-road I see is mostly dirt, gravel, a bit of mud, and a bit of sand. No rock crawling, serious mud, etc.

I've got SL-rated Toyo Open Country AT/II (P275/70-17) on my wife's Sequoia, and these have been great. More miles and older than my Open Country CTs, and the treadwear has been much better. So, the new AT/III is in contention. Also considering the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, and Yokohama Geolander AT G015. In all cases, I am planning to downsize to 265/75-16. Any of these choices give me a load rating of 116, which matches my current C-rated tires. I just don't think I need an LT tire nor something as aggressive as the usual suspects.

The Bridgestone Revo 3s, based on the TireRack tests, seem to provide the best balance of snow handling, off-road capability, and road manners, but I am curious as to thoughts/experiences of others with any of these tires (or others I am not thinking of). Thanks!

Dozen threads down

There just isn’t that many tire options for 16” wheels. Going to 17” for the tire selection is worth the price of wheels.

I had the Yokohama Geolander AT on my '99 LX with factory 16" wheels. They were great for that truck which was 99.6% on road. For the times I took it on some dirt, they did fine. The ride on road was good. Not as good as original Michelins but very comfy.

+2 on the Geolander G015s though mine are 255/70/18 on some Tundra wheels, picked up for a song. They've been great.

I just put on some TRD Tundra wheels with the stock Tundra Michelin LTX AT2 tires and I am really impressed with the tires. More than I thought I would be. I’m hoping they are robust enough for the Death Valley trails I frequent.

3AD41276-7DF4-4DC6-A392-E6EAFAEFD67D.jpeg

I went with Continental TerrainContact AT tires when I first got my LC 2-3 years ago. They have been great in lots of road conditions, including snow, ice, rain, mud, dirt, trails, and beach driving. They are also great on the highway and around town.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S on my Sequoia and like them a lot. They keep the highway style of having rows of tread which helps with hydroplaning but are just a tiny bit more aggressive in looks.

Anything C rated should ride a lot better than E-rated. Keep that in mind when buying A/T tires.

Reactions: GTV
I have Cooper Discover AT3 LTs in LT265/75-16. They are c rated and weigh about 41 lbs each (which is basically what the eight year old SL rated Cooper AT3s weighed in the exact same size.

I love the new tires and would by again.

In edit…. If it matters the new tires are also 3 peaks rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom