Which Winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How many people unspool and respool their winch on a monthly basis?

I like my HF Badlands 12k. It's never not worked.

Also had a Badlands 9k on my old Bronco, and that winch was submerged (and ran) in mud and water regularly.

How many people unspool and respool their winch on a monthly basis?
I do this on my Hilux before back in PH when we go to the trails almost every weekend and had to cross rivers and winch gets submerged. Like a visual inspection type of unspool-respool just to check if there’s anything got stuck in it.

Back to topic, I have this still in box
0D695332-8644-459F-ACDA-C5088B1DDF7A.jpeg

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I went with the Zeak 13000#. It cost a whopping $380 shipped to my door. Is it as reliable as anything mentioned above? Probably not. For me, my 100 will not be rock crawling and heavy wheeling. In those situations I think a Warn, Comeup, etc is necessary. For camping, , moving falling trees, and occasional mud hole recovery, I think this fits the bill. It did get me out of the predicament below with the rear diff dragging the whole way. How long it will hold up is yet to be seen.

PXL_20210924_191137541.jpg

IMG_20211010_133108_01.jpg

PXL_20220521_205308731.jpg

Since the Smitty winch rope was getting a bit frayed, I decided to try this one from Bunker Industries. It is thick and I had to modify the eyelet to fit the Smitty 12k. I've only used it one time. Way overkill. Though I'm not worried about it breaking anytime soon.

Amazon product ASIN B07R6KQJV8

Factory winch supplied by Warn (steel line), only 6,000 Lbs rating but pulls fast and strong like a 10k Lb aftermarket Warn winch.

4F9AB9A7-7E0E-48E5-A215-E24BC941C86D.jpeg

Same experience was shared to me by other owners (100 & 200 series) that have factory winch. At one point we all agreed that these 6,000 Lbs factory option winches that Toyota commissioned to Warn are underrated, a real wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Super winch for me. 9k lbs. As I recall, it was about half the cost of the Warn. No troubles. Though, I have to admit, I’ve only used it on tree stumps and other peoples’ cars.

I didn’t know they’d gone out of business. Hopefully it keeps working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom