FZJ80 vs 7.3 Excursion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no idea how Toyota screwed up the Sequoia so badly.

Can't remember...sometime around the national shoe removal at airports law enactment.

I don't ever recall that being a problem with the Superduty's. The 2nd gen dodges were terrible for it. I do remember that. Seemed to me like the Fords had pretty good brakes.

My DD Superduty is a 2003 which has the small 4 wheel discs (05+ got the big brakes). I have panic stopped almost 30K lbs gross (15k truck/15k trailer) without trailer brakes in an impressively short distance with that truck and the brakes have never had a problem. I would say the brakes are all around great.

Now unit bearings... Don't get me started on those stupid things. Best advice I can give on unit bearings is buy the next up from the cheapest ones and pump them 1/2 full of good synthetic wheel bearing grease through the ABS sensor hole before you install them.

It wasn't about stopping distance. All I can say is I had 2 Excursion that need new front discs over a 6-week field camp one year. When we got back to the university I apologized to the motor pool supervisor about being hard on the vehicles. He told me not to worry about it, the Excursions we had in the pool needed very regular front discs, almost worse than brake pads.

I have owned (3) 40s, (2) 60s, (4) 80s, (1) 7.3 Excursion and (2) Siennas (well , my wife had the minivans). I still have the last 80 I bought (the others were sold for various reasons, not related to usability). I do not have the Ford or minivans. I also have four children. The 80 hauled them all, but not as efficiently as the minivans, that's what they were designed for. The Sequoia is a turd. I had one of those too. Never had a Tundra; I had a Ford F250 Super Duty, so I didn't need an inferior copy. I only sold it when I bought an 18' tandem axle trailer. My LX570 pulls that.

I won't bore you with why I bought and sold what I did, just read what I have and sold and draw your own conclusions.
We never had man issues with our sequoia. It is 2010 Limited So I was worried about some of the creature comfort electronic items going out but they all worked great without issue. The only part I've had issues with was the steering rack. It gave up on my wife one day while she was in San Francisco with her family. She still drove it home and I had to replace it. Other than that, the Sequoia has been great. Our biggest issue with the Sequoia is the space. We road trip quite a bit and the space inside just didn't work great for taking the kids, my MIL, and our luggage. The Excursion we got has been great so far. Been able to fit everyone and drives great on the road.

As a 4th kid that grew up taking road trips in an 80 series and a sequoia, Your kids will love you for getting the excursion.
Man, it was my brother and I crammed into the back of an FJ40 with a 120 pound dog AND camping gear.
I have no sympathy for 4 kids in an 80 saying they have no room after growing up in the back of a 40, hahaha!

But seriously...keep the 80, drop the Tundra, grab the X. My cousin drives a 2019 X and has 4 kids (20, 18, 16, and 14 years old) and they have MASSIVE amounts of room.

Haha, since we're on the topic, I grew up with a family of 6 in the back row of this bad boy:

1985-Dodge-Colt-Vista-Wagon-01-e1506406994199-640x384.jpg

After getting my 97 F350 with a 7.3 I've been eyeing excursions... Never driven one but love the engine. Sure the 7.3 is overkill but that's part of the allure.

My F350 with a slide in camper gets better mpg than my stock fzj80 (15 highway vs 14 for the 80) at almost double the weight.

PXL_20220809_023423026.jpg

A 7.3 4x4 Excursion is one of the few cars I’d trade an 80 for. Absolutely massive vehicles, I fit comfortably in the second row as a 6’ 230lb guy. 3rd row not so much but it’s still useful. Can haul a bunch of people, with trunk space and tow and still chug along fine, albeit slowly.

I have now been driving our 7.3 excursion for a little while now and love it. I still have a fear every now and then that since its not a LC I am just waiting for something to go wrong. So far though, its been a great vehicle and we've already used it to take the family out camping and across a few states on roadtrips. The mileage is pretty good (got 22 MPG on the last road trip) and the space is amazing. Glad to have the X but even happier I got to keep the LC and get one as well.

I have now been driving our 7.3 excursion for a little while now and love it. I still have a fear every now and then that since its not a LC I am just waiting for something to go wrong. So far though, its been a great vehicle and we've already used it to take the family out camping and across a few states on roadtrips. The mileage is pretty good (got 22 MPG on the last road trip) and the space is amazing. Glad to have the X but even happier I got to keep the LC and get one as well.

There is very little that can go go wrong with the 7.3L... it's a seriously reliable motor. Here are the things you should know about....

The High pressure oil pump has a freeze plug on that back that sometimes will let go... but it's really rare and you'll notice before you lose oil pressure (helps that there's nearly 4 gallons of oil in there).

If you ever have a crank, but no start, after it's been running... it's likely your Injector Pressure Regulator (IPR) which is real easy to replace.

Keep an extra Cam Position Sensor (CPS) in your glove box just in case. These like to go bad spontaneously, but are about a 5 minute swap.

The comments about the breaks? Having been driving a 2002 F350 with a 7.3L since 2008, I haven't had issue with the rotors.

1670907743606.png

That's awesome! I loved my X. Never wanted to sell it. I hope to get another one day...
IMG_2591.jpg

I just sold mine for $500 less than I paid for it 12 years and 160k miles ago! Main reason I sold it was just because diesel has gotten so expensive. I dont need to pull much anymore so it just didn't make sense. Hated selling it, planned on taking it to 500k.

Man, it was my brother and I crammed into the back of an FJ40 with a 120 pound dog AND camping gear.
I have no sympathy for 4 kids in an 80 saying they have no room after growing up in the back of a 40, hahaha!

But seriously...keep the 80, drop the Tundra, grab the X. My cousin drives a 2019 X and has 4 kids (20, 18, 16, and 14 years old) and they have MASSIVE amounts of room.
As a 4th kid that grew up taking road trips in an 80 series and a sequoia, Your kids will love you for getting the excursion.

I was gonna say. I'm the 6th of 7 kids and I grew up bouncing off the ceiling in a makeshift 3rd row on the 60. The 80 was a huge upgrade.

I was gonna say. I'm the 6th of 7 kids and I grew up bouncing off the ceiling in a makeshift 3rd row on the 60. The 80 was a huge upgrade.
Funny enough, my father had a 3rd row in the 62 series I far preferred over the 80 because it faced the rear window so you had miles of legroom, and could wave at cute girls or flip off other drivers!

Hi, We raised 5 children in our 60,62 and 80. That said I really like the Excursion with v10 or diesel.

Funny enough, my father had a 3rd row in the 62 series I far preferred over the 80 because it faced the rear window so you had miles of legroom, and could wave at cute girls or flip off other drivers!
Ha! Same!! We'd always play rock paper scissors with the people behind us at red lights. Then there was the awkward time a hwy patrol was trying to pull my dad over and he wouldn't believe me

20150430_115522.jpg

Mainly going to be used for daily family hauling and road trips, occasional camping, and of course runs to Costco. Sadly, we don't get out much in the 80 as a family anymore. I work two weeks each month in the woods so when I get home we don't do much in the way of camping, so if we do go it won't be anything far off the beaten path. I am having a hard time justifying getting rid of the LC. I am most likely going to sell the Tundra and then keep the 80 and get the X.
You could put a nice roof rack on the 80. Will hold a couple of kids who no doubt will be thrilled to ride on top of the vehicle.

You could put a nice roof rack on the 80. Will hold a couple of kids who no doubt will be thrilled to ride on top of the vehicle.
I fight that fight more often than I ever thought possible. I frequently get asked why we can't ride on the top of the car. I keep telling them to try it but my wife always steps in and stops me from letting it happen. Wife and kids...Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom