Builds 1995 full resto build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

back when i used to help build race cars, we sent the stripped tubs for an acid bath. cleans off all the paint, factory seam sealer, bondo, etc. only problem is neutralizing the acid that makes it into various voids and cavities

but yea, manufacturers dip the tubs in various baths for corrosion protection. paint gets applied by robot arms. cool stuff.
Why isn't this practice more widespread? Seems a lot less labor intensive. How did you neutralize the acid?

Why isn't this practice more widespread? Seems a lot less labor intensive. How did you neutralize the acid?

Hey my man, we are not acid dipping or paint dipping. This is a build thread so I/we would prefer if we stick to this build vs a bunch of chat in this thread.

👍

Cheers

Torn down.

1C9DF66B-3A73-45A3-8E9C-6E2305795C36.jpeg
07A9B035-D2ED-443E-96C7-2F78409DDF08.jpeg
014D81DC-ABA2-4B7B-B6CA-A8683869C398.jpeg
D34A19C3-E094-4A5B-8E00-9779D9B73EC7.jpeg

Cheers

I think we got real lucky with this body. There is virtually zero parking lot or trail rash down the sides.

4460BAE3-CC44-48F2-995E-B9B9A013BA47.jpeg
F8291547-6DAF-476B-ABAC-B7953FBF4FF4.jpeg

That means very minimal if any body filler. 😊

Cheers

question: for the frame, what type of paint will be used for it? OEM flat black or something stronger, such as: John Deere Blitz [ Black Industrial Paint ]

So they were not actually flat black in my opinion just all the years has turned them flat. I have done them in flat and do think they look good though.

I should of took a picture of the front of the frame that has had oil and p/s fluid on it for 20yrs. Once we cleaned it off it is/was semi or low gloss black. Also gloss helps protect the paint longer.

I think we are probably just going to do it how I have done the last half dozen or so. More on that as the build progresses.

Cheers

Starting in on chassis resto right now.

C1F84263-D603-4BC4-8B2B-90BBEF9E4713.jpeg

This all just came out of the parts washer and is headed into the sand blast cabinet next.

Cheers

Couple more pics for today, the sun is on this side of the Cruiser late in the day.

16E0CA47-04CD-48D3-B48D-87849E967D63.jpeg

There was a tiny bit of body damage in front of the tail light in the quarter panel. We beat that out before primer. 😉

32E42E7F-EFC3-4E79-B2CD-AB2CB5E9101D.jpeg

Cheers

How does this thing get a build thread tag?

Maybe when it starts going back together? 🤷‍♂️

I went through your HDJ80 build thread over the last couple of days. That's such an awesome Cruiser! Put me on your "dibs" list if/when you get ready to sell it.

Do all of the chassis parts get the same treatment/paint as the frame and axles? I guess I made the assumption that the axles and frame are treated equally.
The plan for the frame is:
sandblast
acid wash
water wash
POR 15
paint top coat

I know the chassis parts that are getting reused are being sandblasted. I'll let Ian answer the paint/coating plan for those parts.

We're going with Blackhawk radius arms, Dobinson rear LCAs, Dobinson's adjustable panhards front and rear. I'm guessing Ian will leave whatever coating those come with.

The plan for the frame is:
sandblast
acid wash
water wash
POR 15
paint top coat

I know the chassis parts that are getting reused are being sandblasted. I'll let Ian answer the paint/coating plan for those parts.

We're going with Blackhawk radius arms, Dobinson rear LCAs, Dobinson's adjustable panhards front and rear. I'm guessing Ian will leave whatever coating those come with.
I think you are going to like the Blackhawk arms. They drive really good on mine and that’s generally the same suspension setup I have. What shocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom