40's Only 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Johnny, lets run up there and check it out. i might have read that a couple new boulders had fell on the trail this spring but hadn't seen any reports that its as tough as that video. here's a link to when pastor john ran it last year

allegedly frontier club out of helena moved the boulders, also allegedly there is a fs approved bypass for the tough spot. we'll know when we get up there. let's run up there in the next couple of weeks to check it out.

Ron choose a friday or saturday when you'd like to go. If the 40 isn't ready for scouting yet that weekened ill just take the 80 for the scouting trip. I did place my order for hub studs cone washers lock washers and nuts so maybe next weekend ill get that sorted

That would be a LOT of trail for most of our 40 owners and I'd bet many would stay back. Now if I get my junk back together in time, I'd love to run that one. In Johnny's vid it looked slick but the heep had some good lockers and gears. Most open 40's would struggle in that spot. Let me know when you guys are gonna try it. I am getting my 40 back up and running asap.

I'd suggest a more stocker friendly trail for the official 40's only run... just my $.02

Drew, supposedly there's a good bypass around the rocky section. i'm thinking this coming sat to go run it to see. it seems to me on most pics and video's that they only show guys taking the hardest line. we shall see.

Not sure I want to camp in snow. I may come up later today or tomorrow... I hate the weather in May in Montana. I sprayed my dandelions two days ago, now I have to shovel snow. Sheesh.

Drew, supposedly there's a good bypass around the rocky section. i'm thinking this coming sat to go run it to see. it seems to me on most pics and video's that they only show guys taking the hardest line. we shall see.
if you guys want a third to prerun it im always down to explore new areas.

heck yes, this could turn into an adventure i'm sure. i know we need to have a chainsaw with us, helena guys already ran it and opened it up but

Okay...

@elkun1
@87BJ74
@pigmony
@90WT
@TommyGuns
@bagochips76
@rkymtnflyfisher
@3_puppies

We've got a lot of 40's around the Bozeman area. Lets pick a weekend, stick to it and hope for the best.

I'll kick it off suggesting Sunday July 11th. Tobacco Root Mountains.

Who am I missing?
i-L8NMD2m-X2.jpg
Drew I just realized the blue 40, fourth from the right is Bobs in this photo. Martin shared it with me awhile back.

Oh wow, yeah I met Bob. That's mine far right when we were doing Argentine pass out of Georgetown. Great pic.

Just got home from Mcarty crk. Darren, Johnny and i did the trip. The trail is narrow due to trees and just challenging enough to be fun. this is primo for the narrow 40's. there should be no danger of damage unless you drive into a tree, just a normal offroad trail. however, if you want more of a challenge it definetly is there. I ended up having to use the winch to get away from a boulder. johnny just drove up that section. the bypasses are good. Johnny went back to camping and i couldn't see any reason to going back on pavement so we showed darren the trail over the elkhorns and ended up by the dairy south of toston. was a kick of a day, that trail is still on my suggested list for the run but if anyone has any other trails i'm always up to going along to check it out. i'm sure the other guys will be chiming in and undoubtedly will show pictures. also, a chainsaw it highly suggested lol. Ron

Nice day out today. Pretty easy trail unless you want a couple of obstacles but like Ron said there are bypasses. A few trees to clear.🤣

639BADC4-89D4-4530-85C8-70DBAB1D68FF.jpeg

7814512F-BF84-454E-BAF5-EF605A2F8682.jpeg

64733888-224A-445D-9A48-219C556CDB5C.jpeg

F2AA4932-A4D1-4E57-A2CB-0761F8C07221.jpeg

F206303B-82ED-481E-8FDF-EC40B307C5AA.jpeg

Just got home from Mcarty crk. Darren, Johnny and i did the trip. The trail is narrow due to trees and just challenging enough to be fun. this is primo for the narrow 40's. there should be no danger of damage unless you drive into a tree, just a normal offroad trail. however, if you want more of a challenge it definetly is there. I ended up having to use the winch to get away from a boulder. johnny just drove up that section. the bypasses are good. Johnny went back to camping and i couldn't see any reason to going back on pavement so we showed darren the trail over the elkhorns and ended up by the dairy south of toston. was a kick of a day, that trail is still on my suggested list for the run but if anyone has any other trails i'm always up to going along to check it out. i'm sure the other guys will be chiming in and undoubtedly will show pictures. also, a chainsaw it highly suggested lol. Ron
Thanks for the write up Ron. Sounds good all around and does ease my mind knowing that there are good sneak routes if needed. This is sounding fun :)

Thanks for the write up Ron. Sounds good all around and does ease my mind knowing that there are good sneak routes if needed. This is sounding fun :)
i really think you'll enjoy it if that's the one we do. i'm more into scenery and not rock crawling, my 40 is a couple levels below what i'd feel comfortable with doing that stuff. if i hadn't been with the guys i was with i definetley wouldn't have tried it. i escaped relatively unscathed considering. doubt i'll ever take that route again but will watch and help whoever wants to go that way. be forwarned though, if you happen to have one of those biden moments that i seem to have more of all the time you will leave paint or bring bark home with you. if you haven't been to elkhorn it's just up the road from the end of the trail. Also, Darren if you haven't washed the "mud" off your 80 once it dries it will be with you a long long time lol. I just pulled the 40 onto the lift and am about to remove the rear driveshaft. for some reason the boot is missing and there's some pretty good scratches, wonder how i did that.

McCarty Creek Trail was a blast and will be a perfect 40's only run trail. It is easy enough with the bypasses that a stock 40 can do it, yet there are places built 40's can play. Like Ron said it is a tight trail because of the trees but @thetoyotaman and my 80 didn't have any problems which means 40's definitely wont. The trail does have the typical montana overgrow in a few spots.

I think it's time to start a 40's only 2022 thread since it sounds like we have our trail

PXL_20220604_175545444.MP.jpg

New video by Johnathan Pryor - https://photos.app.goo.gl/U8aSY4CrmFPBhuJK7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom