60 Series Driveshaft Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new rear driveshaft for my 88 62. Does anyone have recommendations on a after market or is OEM the way to go?

what is wrong with your current driveshaft?
where I live we still have driveline shops that do great work. re-tubing, etc

Slip yoke is busted. Bought new U joints but my mechanic said to just get a whole new one since there's some rust on mine.

slip yoke is busted?
the part with the female splines?
and
the part that slides in and out of the main tube?

how did it break?

just get a "new" slip yoke, as in a good used part

unless the rust has pitted the driveshaft terribly, I wouldn't replace the main shaft

just my opinion, pics would help

Yes - the part that slides in & out of the main tube. It makes noise when in reverse. I though it was the universal joints but after I had a mechanic look at it, he said that the slip yoke is pushing out grease and suggested to invest in a whole new driveshaft since the car is in great condition. Just ordered one from Tom Woods. Don't mind spending the extra $ - since this is my daily driver.

Yes - the part that slides in & out of the main tube. It makes noise when in reverse. I though it was the universal joints but after I had a mechanic look at it, he said that the slip yoke is pushing out grease and suggested to invest in a whole new driveshaft since the car is in great condition. Just ordered one from Tom Woods. Don't mind spending the extra $ - since this is my daily driver.

You have a FJ62, if it still makes a noise once the new driveshaft has been installed then that's an indication that the splines on the output shaft of the transmission are worn.

You have a FJ62, if it still makes a noise once the new driveshaft has been installed then that's an indication that the splines on the output shaft of the transmission are worn.

Good observation.

This is what my A440F output shaft looked like after 292,000 miles. It sounded really bad.

4F61803D-86BC-47FC-9FA3-211B8BE5EB67.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom