80-series owners! Your opinion on 80-series vs 100-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my mom has owned a 2001 Land Cruiser (100-series) since 2009 and absolutely loved it until my sister totaled it a few days ago. Now she needs a new car and, as you could guess, wants a 100-series. My issue is that I want to convince her to get an 80-series because they're usually cheaper, let me fix it up (we would get a cheap early 90s one to save money), get a job this summer and next summer (since I'm only 15), and let me slowly buy the car off of her so she can buy the car of her dreams. (Anyway, this is in my own interest because I love these things so much more than the 100-series.) Remembering her days with an 80-series, she didn't mind this plan until we looked on the 100-series forum and found that they all much prefer their 100-series over 80-series LCs for safety and reliability, which doesn't help my argument at all. Could you guys please give your overall opinion on this age-old debate? Is this a good idea, or would we be better off for a daily driver 100-series? Thanks in advance for the advice!

I would say that, in most cases, a 100 series lover isn't going to love an 80 the same, and a 80 series lover isn't going to love a 100 series the same. If you want cheaper than a 100 series, then the natural options in Toyota are 4runner, Sequoia, Highlander and RAV4 in that order. If she is ok with a bit more fancy then you have some Lexus options also(mostly GX).

I happen to own both right now, so I can tell you from my perspective which I prefer, when, and why I prefer them.

For living with day-to-day: Hands down the 100 series. I have a 2005 LX470 with nearly 300K miles on it and it never ceases to impress me. I've taken it off-road, through some really tough Jeep trails, and done long-distance traveling with it, it shines in every single category. It's far and away MUCH more comfortable than the 80 series; quieter across the board, much better ride than almost anything on the road, fantastic interior, the list goes on and on. For this reason, you need to know that your Mom is not the youngster she once was so living with an 80 series today isn't going to be the same as it was years ago.

For getting way the hell out there: 80 series, but not by much. The truth is the 80 series wins because it lost in the former category. It's a much simpler machine, it's got solid axles that are nearly indestructible and its engine is much simpler to work on and troubleshoot in the field. When you are way the hell out there ride quality doesn't matter much, toughness matters. And while the AHC system is a masterpiece of engineering, it is much more complex than springs and shocks. And I know you can retrofit a 100 with springs and shocks or get one without AHC, but IMO it's a big part of what makes the 100 so amazing. A ride like a Bentley with the ability to take me to damn near anywhere.

If she likes the 100 series then I would tell her to get another 100. Get the latest year, most rust-free, lowest mileage, she can get to ensure she has one for another 20 years. If she gets a pre-2006 the 4.7L V8 is a non-interference engine, so a broken timing belt just means a new timing belt needs to be installed and not head work as well. The VVTi engines in the 06-07's were interference engines, to squeeze out that extra 40bhp. These things are tanks, neither is going to win any races.

^what s’head said

I actually don’t like driving my 80 on hwy drives (vintage auto NVH) yet I’ve completed the most long distance road trips in my 80 out of any other car I’ve owned* simply because I love driving it the most if that makes any sense.

*200, GX, 4th gen V8, 510hp RRS, etc

Cool mom!

As has already been stated, I’d put Mom in a 100. Overall better suited for her needs. And clean examples of 80s are getting harder and harder to find. And the few that are out there are overpriced.

I’ve owned both, and the 100 is infinitely more comfortable. I’m not a rock crawler, so I am biased towards the 100, even though I really prefer the look of the 80. But I just did a Denver-Santa Fe-Denver one day rountrip with ZERO issues. Sucked down premium fuel like my last name is Musk, but it is what it is.

Finally, and no judgment here, but I would NEVER leverage my parents’ money for my own gain on something like a car.

Shrek (R.I.P.)
DD20CAB7-D7BB-46A8-9C11-96EC7952DD92.jpeg

Lando
72D62454-4080-4583-983B-37C15CA2A5C8.jpeg

Better brakes in a 100. Full stop!

Thank you everyone for the advice! My mom has decided now that she is looking for a 100 series, even if it may cost her more money upfront and I don’t get to manipulate the situation in my own interest 😂 My mom doesn’t need me doing that, she needs a reliable and safe car.

To give some context, my sister was learning to drive with my mom and got in a nasty accident involving over and under correcting one turn 4 times, slamming the wrong pedal, and a creek. My mom was so impressed with how that car protected them that she will not settle for a 4Runner, Sequoia, etc. (thanks for advice though) because she has no proof in her own experience that they will protect her as well.

The reason the 80-series was an option was because she grew up with her mom owning one, and that thing got in several wrecks that totaled the other car but only required minimal repairs to theirs (in other words, she has proof it will protect her, too). The only reason they got rid of it was because maintenance costed more than a monthly payment for a new 2004 GX470, which is still owned to this day and my mom is borrowing it while we’re looking for a car—she wants her 100 land cruiser though, and it’s decided what she’s looking for. Thank you for the advice!

P.S. I’m not ending this discussion, just thanking for advice. People can keep debating this age-old issue here if they want.

Thank you everyone for the advice! My mom has decided now that she is looking for a 100 series, even if it may cost her more money upfront and I don’t get to manipulate the situation in my own interest 😂 My mom doesn’t need me doing that, she needs a reliable and safe car.

To give some context, my sister was learning to drive with my mom and got in a nasty accident involving over and under correcting one turn 4 times, slamming the wrong pedal, and a creek. My mom was so impressed with how that car protected them that she will not settle for a 4Runner, Sequoia, etc. (thanks for advice though) because she has no proof in her own experience that they will protect her as well.

The reason the 80-series was an option was because she grew up with her mom owning one, and that thing got in several wrecks that totaled the other car but only required minimal repairs to theirs (in other words, she has proof it will protect her, too). The only reason they got rid of it was because maintenance costed more than a monthly payment for a new 2004 GX470, which is still owned to this day and my mom is borrowing it while we’re looking for a car—she wants her 100 land cruiser though, and it’s decided what she’s looking for. Thank you for the advice!

P.S. I’m not ending this discussion, just thanking for advice. People can keep debating this age-old issue here if they want.
I have a mint triple locked 80 but I never used it to 1/3 of its capabilities. I’m on the market for a 100. Would live to have a 5spd transmitter for road trips.

I have both, a 1993 80 I've owned since 1994, currently for sale in the classified, and a 2007 100 I've had since 2010. I prefer driving the 80 over the 100, but the 80 is for sale for several reasons, and I'm trying to downsize.

Last edited:
I have both, a 1993 80 I've owned since 1994, currently for sale in the classified, and a 2007 100 I've had since 2010. I prefer driving the 80 over the 100, but the 80 is for sale for several reasons, and I'm trying to downsize.
Any interest in selling the 07 ?

Have you checked the Mud classifieds? Also, have a Cruiser shop or Mud member(s) do a pre-purchase inspection on the 100, as they’ll know what to look for. Happy trails to both of you.

I've always been a 100-series naysayer mainly because it is the heaviest vehicle of the many that Toyota gave the 2UZ (in some cases by a wide margin). My thought process was always if you want a V8 yota, get a 4G 4runner, GX, even a Tundra. I guess power, or rather, power to weight always played heavy in mind. 2UZ is a great motor, but not a powerful one. More like a modest incremental improvement over the 1fz.

I did drive a 100 for the first time last summer (I had driven all variants of 4runner, GX, Tundra previously), and I have to say it did give me good cruiser vibes. More so than I was expecting and much more so than a 200 LC or my current LX570. I think if you expect it to behave like a Land Cruiser (i.e. slow and solid), it does the job quite nicely. If you want it to behave like a more modern vehicle, it just doesn't have the power or transmission refinement. But reflecting on it now, I think I would prefer a 100 over a 200 if towing didn't enter the equation. Even the mundane 100 looks have really grown on me over time. Maybe it's just because I'm getting old and obviously 100 is an old man car. :flipoff2:

So my mom has owned a 2001 Land Cruiser (100-series) since 2009 and absolutely loved it until my sister totaled it a few days ago. Now she needs a new car and, as you could guess, wants a 100-series. My issue is that I want to convince her to get an 80-series because they're usually cheaper, let me fix it up (we would get a cheap early 90s one to save money), get a job this summer and next summer (since I'm only 15), and let me slowly buy the car off of her so she can buy the car of her dreams. (Anyway, this is in my own interest because I love these things so much more than the 100-series.) Remembering her days with an 80-series, she didn't mind this plan until we looked on the 100-series forum and found that they all much prefer their 100-series over 80-series LCs for safety and reliability, which doesn't help my argument at all. Could you guys please give your overall opinion on this age-old debate? Is this a good idea, or would we be better off for a daily driver 100-series? Thanks in advance for the advice!
80 is cheaper? I'm not so sure about that.
Obviously a 100 would be a more comfortable ride for mom. I've driven a 2000 year LC, they're very nice. A bit tight on headroom for us tall guys, however. The body is so big though, perhaps consider a smaller GX 470? (And don't let sister drive it, whatever you get).
But I'm with you, my preference would be the 80. :)

Another plus for the 100 is that they don't seem to leak as many fluids as an 80 series, even at a similar age i.e. 98 vs 97. Others can correct me if I'm wring but only the valve cover gaskets seem to be a major culprit for leaks where in the FZJ80 you have to worry about upper pan seals (PITA to fix) and multiple others.

The 2UZ doesn't have the issue with the inline 6 of the head warping over time, but the timing belt and dumb starter location kind of even things out, as well as the common exhaust manifold cracks. If you can deal with that though they seem to be longer-lasting and smoother motors than the old 1FZ, even though the straight 6 design is technically stronger in the bottom end.

Again take all this with a grain of salt as I'm not an expert, just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom