Carpet Install - Don’t do this! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So maybe someone else already posted about this and I missed it, but I want to save you from making the same mistake I made when installing new carpet. I bought the ACC kit through #dnp and the purchase process and delivery was fine, as was the quality of the carpet, itself. The problem I ran into was that I cut several holes in the carpet, following the pre-cut lines in the backing material. I pointed to one of those lines in the first pic. Problem is, if you cut along those lines, you’ll end up with holes that are way too big, as shown in the second photo.

I have no idea why ACC would make these pre-cut lines, but they resulted in several patch jobs in my brand new carpet. So … don’t assume those lines are in the right places, or are the right sizes. Lay the carpet in place the best you can, figure out where it needs to be cut, and take your time.
DA97D47B-7695-4FAB-8C7E-A4FF51744D60.jpeg
DF9AE8BE-EA84-46C1-A013-721EF165BCA4.jpeg

Shoot, I made similar mistakes when installed my new leather upholstery and banged a few holes in the areas drawn on my the vendor. I wonder if someone could 3D print you a new cover to fill in the gaps?

Pretty sloppy design job to make pre-cut lines that poorly - why even include them?

Isn't it typical that the backing cut is oversized so that the final cut in the carpet is able to sit under the floor molding to hold it down? If the backing and the carpet were both cut so they would sit under the plastic molding piece, I don't believe it would be able to fit correctly. I also assume they cut the backing large to account for slight variances in how it is laid down.

Isn't it typical that the backing cut is oversized so that the final cut in the carpet is able to sit under the floor molding to hold it down? If the backing and the carpet were both cut so they would sit under the plastic molding piece, I don't believe it would be able to fit correctly. I also assume they cut the backing large to account for slight variances in how it is laid down.
I agree. I don't believe those cuts are for the carpet, they are to allow you to remove the excess underfelt/backing. I usually strive to not actually cut holes, but rather cut the smallest slits in the carpet needed to get it to fit over whatever protrusions are in the way. This allows for some errors, and as the carpet settles you don't end up with holes in the carpet emerging from under the trim pieces.

I agree. I don't believe those cuts are for the carpet, they are to allow you to remove the excess underfelt/backing. I usually strive to not actually cut holes, but rather cut the smallest slits in the carpet needed to get it to fit over whatever protrusions are in the way. This allows for some errors, and as the carpet settles you don't end up with holes in the carpet emerging from under the trim pieces.
Yep, you guys are probably right. It’s misleading to someone who doesn’t do this for a living, though. Easy to make the mistake, so just wanted to let others know. Luckily, the oversized cuts I made will be hidden under the 2nd row seat and I was able to patch them up pretty well, anyways.

Yep, you guys are probably right. It’s misleading to someone who doesn’t do this for a living, though. Easy to make the mistake, so just wanted to let others know. Luckily, the oversized cuts I made will be hidden under the 2nd row seat and I was able to patch them up pretty well, anyways.
I totally agree it’s misleading. They probably should have included some instructions or pointers. Thank you for posting this though since it will help others in the future. I am sure if I was doing this and I didn’t stop to look at it I would have made the same mistake and then been kicking myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom