Replacing rear AC lines with aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Beard

Cruisin'
Threads
Website
cruisin4parts.com
Has anyone completely replaced their rear AC lines with some after market solution like Cold hose? Looks like they take your hoses and create new.

Im leaning towards that because:

1. My rear lines were capped by previous owner so I don’t know which parts actually leak. Plus, the lines have been open to the elements.
2. It seems rear lines have issues anyway and are expensive to replace with OEM.

I don’t even know if my rear AC works but I’d love to get it working again.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with that!

Here’s a photo from last summer’s OBX trip where I tracked down another 100 series I saw driving around. Owner ended up being from 2 towns over.

CC326BB9-F174-4FAD-B42A-FE3050E18168.jpeg

When my rear AC failed due to line deterioration, my local shop had a guy come in and custom make new lines for the rear. It was spendy, but still works perfectly five years later.

When my rear AC failed due to line deterioration, my local shop had a guy come in and custom make new lines for the rear. It was spendy, but still works perfectly five years later.
Were they hard lines or flexible hoses?

Looks like cold hose does flexible hoses. Here's an image I pulled off their site:
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.49.16 AM.png

Looks like full OEM replace would be around like $600-700. A few of the hoses are super expensive vs some are only $73. PartSouq prices are even high. I’ll see if I can get my hoses off and get a quote from cold hose.

Btw, I found a slow leak on the rear line cap kit. Whatever the PO did, it’s leaking now judging by the dye showing up

Sorry for the delay, looks like it was a combination of hard and soft lines that were used:
IMG_3150.jpeg
IMG_3151.jpeg

Mine were corroded and I had a local auto AC place take the fittings from them and put them on AC hoses. It worked out mint and I have now had it for a year like that - no issues. Front and rear blow icy cold. They used Goodyear Galaxy AC Hose

4uYmdk2.jpg

img_8810-jpeg.2640886
That does look mint! That would be my goal to achieve. Do you happen to remember the total length and what the fittings were? They want me to take off my lines and mail them but if I can just tell them what to make, that’d make one day of work rather than 2.

Also, I’m curious why your lines were split into 2 pieces.

They are an absolute pain to route with the body on top of the frame, so I chose to have them split in order to be able to replace just a section in case of a failure.
In another forum I wrote back then that the hard pieces that I replaced are about 3.50m or ~11.5ft, following the bends. Not sure how exact was that, but wouldn't be more than +/-20cm. The hoses have to be slightly longer, as they can't make the sharp bends that the pipes make.
I will be putting the car up on a hoist later this week and will take a more exact measurements if I do not forget :)
I think you will have to send at least the end pieces so that they can put them on the hoses. Especially the one that goes into the body in the rear is not something standard and has to be reused.

They are an absolute pain to route with the body on top of the frame, so I chose to have them split in order to be able to replace just a section in case of a failure.
In another forum I wrote back then that the hard pieces that I replaced are about 3.50m or ~11.5ft, following the bends. Not sure how exact was that, but wouldn't be more than +/-20cm. The hoses have to be slightly longer, as they can't make the sharp bends that the pipes make.
I will be putting the car up on a hoist later this week and will take a more exact measurements if I do not forget :)
I think you will have to send at least the end pieces so that they can put them on the hoses. Especially the one that goes into the body in the rear is not something standard and has to be reused.
Well knowing now that I'll have to send them the hoses to get the proper fittings on the ends, I'll likely have to go the recommended route or removing and mailing them so they can create the hose. Maybe I'll do the split in the middle as well. The mounts you have look nice as well, maybe they'll provide those.

Love the hoses! Were you able to take any measurements?

Has anyone completely replaced their rear AC lines with some after market solution like Cold hose? Looks like they take your hoses and create new.

Im leaning towards that because:

1. My rear lines were capped by previous owner so I don’t know which parts actually leak. Plus, the lines have been open to the elements.
2. It seems rear lines have issues anyway and are expensive to replace with OEM.

I don’t even know if my rear AC works but I’d love to get it working again.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with that!

Here’s a photo from last summer’s OBX trip where I tracked down another 100 series I saw driving around. Owner ended up being from 2 towns over.

View attachment 3017497
Here in the uk I had mine replaced from engine bay to rear with flexi hoses and it works great. It cost me last year £400 including vacuuming and re gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom