We're in! '99 LX - new to us! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And, I hear a "squeak-squeak" noise when the wife backs out of the garage.
Sounds like it might be u-joints?
Time to see if my ancient grease gun will still work, so if those joints will be happy w/ a little lube...
"squeak-squeak" is very likely U-Joint or brake pad rubbing.

My money would be on a U-Joint or two.

"squeak-squeak" is very likely U-Joint or brake pad rubbing.

My money would be on a U-Joint or two.

I was going to try the grease gun on u-joints to see what that does. Except my grease cartridge was empty :frown:
Or do you think I am beyond that if they are squeaking?
When I try to twist the driveshafts, I cannot detect any play...

I was going to try the grease gun on u-joints to see what that does. Except my grease cartridge was empty :frown:
Or do you think I am beyond that if they are squeaking?
When I try to twist the driveshafts, I cannot detect any play...

They might still be serviceable if it hasn't been going on for too long (and the squeak is indeed a U-joint). But unless you remove the driveshaft it is hard to tell what kind of wear they have since usually you can't move them because of pressure between the Tcase and the differential.

But U-joints can be quite long lived (if greased faithfully). I have the original U-joints in both by 80 series (with 332K miles on it) and my 100 series (256K miles). And both exhibit no issues.

They might still be serviceable if it hasn't been going on for too long (and the squeak is indeed a U-joint). But unless you remove the driveshaft it is hard to tell what kind of wear they have since usually you can't move them because of pressure between the Tcase and the differential.

But U-joints can be quite long lived (if greased faithfully). I have the original U-joints in both by 80 series (with 332K miles on it) and my 100 series (256K miles). And both exhibit no issues.
Thanks for the reply!
Off to the local NAPA to get a cartridge for the grease gun. My memory of that thing is that it was a PITA to use.
Which probably means that the 40 and Pig are overdue for a visit with the grease gun as well.

But unless you remove the driveshaft it is hard to tell what kind of wear they have since usually you can't move them because of pressure between the Tcase and the differential.

Ideally there should be very little pressure between t-case and diff flange, eh?
I might crack the grease nipple on the driveshafts loose to make sure there isn't a lot of pressure from previous lubing.

Ideally there should be very little pressure between t-case and diff flange, eh?
I might crack the grease nipple on the driveshafts loose to make sure there isn't a lot of pressure from previous lubing.

Axial direction yes. IF you overfill the driveshaft and the seal doesn't allow grease to pass you can unwittingly apply a LOT of pressure against the Tcase. The driveshaft as you know is designed to lengthen and shorten under suspension travel.

The pressure I refereed to earlier was with respect to rotational pressure Tcase against Differential. Often times when a vehicle is parked there is pressure on the driveshaft which doesn't allow you to move it and assess the condition of the U-joints. So in error....it is assumed they are tight.

Axial direction yes. IF you overfill the driveshaft and the seal doesn't allow grease to pass you can unwittingly apply a LOT of pressure against the Tcase. The driveshaft as you know is designed to lengthen and shorten under suspension travel.

The pressure I refereed to earlier was with respect to rotational pressure Tcase against Differential. Often times when a vehicle is parked there is pressure on the driveshaft which doesn't allow you to move it and assess the condition of the U-joints. So in error....it is assumed they are tight.
Got it, so maybe try things with the tranny or t-case in N...

Sounds like the squeak is coming from the rear u-joint of the rear driveshaft.

Am I correct that we can drive our 100s/470s on the front shaft only if you lock the CDL?

Thinking I will pull the rear shaft and sent out to the local driveline shop for u-joints and see what they can do about the splines...

I gathered up all the parts to do front and rear sway bar links.
I didn't see any good threads that spelled out the Toyota p/n's for doing this job.
I think I will start a separate thread so folks can find it easier than if it were buried in here.

I take it back, there are a few good threads for replacing sway bar links and P/Ns:

So I don't think there is any need for a new thread.

Screenshot 2022-04-07 122903.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-07 123011.jpg

Sway Bar End Links PN List.jpg

Sounds like the squeak is coming from the rear u-joint of the rear driveshaft.

Am I correct that we can drive our 100s/470s on the front shaft only if you lock the CDL?

Thinking I will pull the rear shaft and sent out to the local driveline shop for u-joints and see what they can do about the splines...
Economics seem to point to replace the rear shaft:

Rear drive shaft p/n for '99 470 = 37110-6A610

Last edited:
I take it back, there are a few good threads for replacing sway bar links and P/Ns:

So I don't think there is any need for a new thread.

View attachment 3026207

View attachment 3026206

View attachment 3026205

Sway bar end links are done!
That was probably one of the easy tasks on the Flexus!
I hit the threads with some Kroil a few times before the job and this job is in the bag.

Economics seem to point to replace the rear shaft:

Rear drive shaft p/n for '99 470 = 37110-6A610

4 bills later...
IMG_1842(1).JPG

IMG_1839(1).JPG

IMG_1840(1).JPG

IMG_1841(1).JPG

Did you add some grease?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom