Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (7 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,196 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I've been reminded here a few times, make sure you follow the correct process for checking brake fluid level (pump brake pedal 40+ times and then check level). If you add without doing that you could overfill.
My rig did what yours is doing because of a leaking brake caliper piston that I ignored at my peril until the booster motor burned out. Not known if coincidence or not.
Good luck
Well I am spending the day replacing all but one hard line and the soft lines with braided lines. Then the bleed process begins

Just this morning. Pulling up to the inspection bay to get a new sticker. Brakes went soft, puddle under the truck, but my e-brake is good at least. Pretty much total brake failure. Glad I wasn’t on the highway.

The failure was a coiled line under the reservoir. Just over 210k miles on the 2003 LC.

Last edited:
Just rebuilt my motor and have 100 miles on the rebuilt unit! All is working smoothly!
79DCBA29-CA54-4E8C-8664-F217810F93BB.jpeg

City Racer will be introducing an updated part that includes the accumulator, corresponding to OEM part # 47070-60010. It's an extension of the 47960-60010 pump motor we've been selling since last year and shown to work perfectly. The new part is basically production ready. We're seeking 1 volunteer to participate in final testing. The qualifying criteria as follows:
  1. You must be in need of this part. Pre-emptive replacement on a high mileage vehicle is OK.
  2. You must be able to install the part yourself
  3. You agree to install the part immediately
  4. You agree to provide feedback
The chosen participant will receive the part free of charge.

View attachment 2941542

If you are still looking for a volunteer I have a 99 LC100 with about 240k on it now. I manage an automotive repair shop and can install it myself and give you feedback on the installation process and operation of the unit. My wife drives it a lot more than I do hauling our kids here and there so this is something I’d like to get ahead of.

Just rebuilt my motor and have 100 miles on the rebuilt unit! All is working smoothly!
View attachment 2981240
I did the same with my ‘04. I ordered a rebuilt one for $300 from eBay that was recommended by a friend, truck has been working fine for around 2 months now

Brake booster failure on my 100 series (2006) with 165K miles. No warning. Booster pump failure. $2300 to fix. First one my mechanic had ever seen.

It may have been the 'first' your mechanic has personally seen....but it is NOT an uncommon failure. In fact, I'd submit it WILL happen to every vehicle at some point. The only question is with regards to which item(s) fail. Often it is the pump motor, but can also involve the accumulator or the ABS module (seals leaking). The Master Cylinder can give problems also.

All of these things are 'wear parts' and it is to be expected that they have a certain 'life'. In the same way you 'expect' to have to replace your Brake Pads from time to time, so too....the Booster (or associated parts) will eventually need replacement.

It may have been the 'first' your mechanic has personally seen....but it is NOT an uncommon failure. In fact, I'd submit it WILL happen to every vehicle at some point. The only question is with regards to which item(s) fail. Often it is the pump motor, but can also involve the accumulator or the ABS module (seals leaking). The Master Cylinder can give problems also.

All of these things are 'wear parts' and it is to be expected that they have a certain 'life'. In the same way you 'expect' to have to replace your Brake Pads from time to time, so too....the Booster (or associated parts) will eventually need replacement.
Very true! I replaced a master (single rear line no pressure sw) in a 98 LC w/260K, due to ABS seal leak yesterday. Only second faulty ABS I've seen. First was internal short in ABS.

BTW: The older master has been had to get, but 45 of them. Are on the way to USA now.

Brake failure on 2006 LC100 with 152k.
Got the dreaded alarm with the associated dash lights. Was able to get home safely with very low congestion on interstate, driving very carefully with the little brake pedal I had left, ebrake, and downshifting (gotta appreciated the gated shifter).

Motor is dead. No pump noise at all. Fluid level is 1/2" above max, assuming because it's evacuated the accumulator (no pressure). Can hear the ABS relay clicking when IG ON. Connector wire is corroded.

Now trying to decide if I should just replace the motor and rebuild the MC or go full nelson and buy the whole unit @ $1300. It's not a DD so not rushed for a decision, but it does put an upcoming trip on hold.

Brake failure on 2006 LC100 with 152k.
Got the dreaded alarm with the associated dash lights. Was able to get home safely with very low congestion on interstate, driving very carefully with the little brake pedal I had left, ebrake, and downshifting (gotta appreciated the gated shifter).

Motor is dead. No pump noise at all. Fluid level is 1/2" above max, assuming because it's evacuated the accumulator (no pressure). Can hear the ABS relay clicking when IG ON. Connector wire is corroded.

Now trying to decide if I should just replace the motor and rebuild the MC or go full nelson and buy the whole unit @ $1300. It's not a DD so not rushed for a decision, but it does put an upcoming trip on hold.
"Fluid level is 1/2" above max" "wire is corroded" = worn out commutator 8 out of 10 times!

Reading what is embossed on the brake fluid reservoir before topping, is important. Overfilling result in early brake booster motor failure.

Brake reservoir (3).JPG

"Fluid level is 1/2" above max" "wire is corroded" = worn out commutator 8 out of 10 times!

Reading what is embossed on the brake fluid reservoir before topping, is important. Overfilling result in early brake booster motor failure.

View attachment 3022526

Correct. When the brake booster was functional (I omitted that alarm did turn off once after the first alarm, after tapping the motor) the level went back precisely to the Max line. Luckily, I am smack dab in the motor repair industry (www.eis-inc.com) and know a local customer in Atlanta that can fix this motor. But back to my last question...commutator repair and MC rebuild or whole kit and caboodle...? Decisions.

Correct. When the brake booster was functional (I omitted that alarm did turn off once after the first alarm, after tapping the motor) the level went back precisely to the Max line. Luckily, I am smack dab in the motor repair industry (www.eis-inc.com) and know a local customer in Atlanta that can fix this motor. But back to my last question...commutator repair and MC rebuild or whole kit and caboodle...? Decisions.
That for you to decide. The clues you need to make decision are in the thread I link-in above. If you guess wrong, and only R&R booster motor. Your long term cost of parts and labor, will be higher.

I'd also consider Toyota reduce price(s) on brake master(s) (caboodle) this year, which is typically unheard of on any part. We typically see Toyota increase most all parts prices, about 4 times a year. During last 2 years they've been very aggressively doing so monthly in some cases.

That for you to decide. The clues you need to make decision are in the thread I link-in above. If you guess wrong, and only R&R booster motor. Your long term cost of parts and labor, will be higher.

I'd also consider Toyota reduce price(s) on brake master(s) (caboodle) this year, which is typically unheard of on any part. We typically see Toyota increase most all parts prices, about 4 times a year. During last 2 years they've been very aggressively doing so monthly in some cases.

I'm just more aggravated that I didn't buy one when they were having a 25% off sale across the system :confused:

I'm just more aggravated that I didn't buy one when they were having a 25% off sale across the system :confused:

IF you plan on keeping the vehicle long term then the entire unit (given current prices) is the easiest and best thing to do. The part has actually come down significantly over the last couple of years and is readily available for your year model.

The next best move would be to replace the motor AND accumulator (comes as a set with new wiring), rebuild your Master Cylinder ($75.00 kit ....easy to do) and replace the grommets underneath your reservoir Qty. (3).

Replacing the motor only would be my third choice and only then if finances dictated no other route or you don't plan to keep the vehicle.

Infrequent use should NOT be a reason to take any shortcuts or try to save money, because having Brakes is pretty damn important and a safety issue that involves not only you but other drivers as well.

Are the LC and LX470x 1999 the exact brake system so parts from one would fit the other, sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and could not get a clear answer

Are the LC and LX470x 1999 the exact brake system so parts from one would fit the other, sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and could not get a clear answer

Yes Sir. 'LIKE' year models share the same parts and design (even if you see different part numbers for each). Of course from year model to year model there may be some differences. But the brake system for a 99 LC and LX are the same.

Yes Sir. 'LIKE' year models share the same parts and design (even if you see different part numbers for each). Of course from year model to year model there may be some differences. But the brake system for a 99 LC and LX are the same.
Thanks for clearing that up. Replacing the ABS master cylinder with a unit from LC the same year.

This thread put a fear of God into me and had me swap out my unit before any symptoms surfaced.

This thread put a fear of God into me and had me swap out my unit before any symptoms surfaced.

It was good preventative maintenance. At some point every unit is going to fail. How and when it fails....and where you are at the time determines the severity of that experience. For me.....it failed while parked and I had some prior warning. About as good as it gets. However others have had it fail with no apparent warning while driving. And in some cases this occurred at highway speeds in heavy traffic.

Our LX is my Wife's Daily Driver and it would not be good for her to suddenly have no brakes. In actuality....you shouldn't completely lose your brakes, but the loss of 'boosted' brakes is nearly the same thing since most folks can not press the pedal hard enough (unboosted) to bring the vehicle to a stop in a reasonable distance.

IF there is a Silver Lining to this....the entire ABS unit/Booster has recently dropped significantly in price. And once replaced....should give good service for many years to come. So IMO.....you did the right thing. 👍

It was good preventative maintenance. At some point every unit is going to fail. How and when it fails....and where you are at the time determines the severity of that experience. For me.....it failed while parked and I had some prior warning. About as good as it gets. However others have had it fail with no apparent warning while driving. And in some cases this occurred at highway speeds in heavy traffic.

Our LX is my Wife's Daily Driver and it would not be good for her to suddenly have no brakes. In actuality....you shouldn't completely lose your brakes, but the loss of 'boosted' brakes is nearly the same thing since most folks can not press the pedal hard enough (unboosted) to bring the vehicle to a stop in a reasonable distance.

IF there is a Silver Lining to this....the entire ABS unit/Booster has recently dropped significantly in price. And once replaced....should give good service for many years to come. So IMO.....you did the right thing. 👍

Agreed. The price is worth mitigating the risk of loved ones getting hurt. You might understand the procedure to take when it fails on the highway at 70mph, but does your wife/kid/friend/etc who could possibly be driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom