To H55 or not, that is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm reading backwards, it looks like part# OIL21176, check your invoice/packing slip but those are oil cooler o-rings. Assuming you ordered those along with trans parts.
Awesome, yes I did and thank you for the clarification. I got thrown off with them in the T case rebuild box, my bad! Didn’t want to end up with the dreaded kipple😀. I will put them in the engine refresh parts pile!

First gear is good. Both on the street and in low range.

Would be even better with 4.11 vs 3.70, but that’s just my opinion.

With 3.70's and 33's it's got to be a sweet spot, unless your AC is on 😄

First gear is good. Both on the street and in low range.

Would be even better with 4.11 vs 3.70, but that’s just my opinion.
After driving with both set ups, I can vouch for the 4.11 matching best with 33s and the 5 speed.

How would a 1FZ-FE's power band match up with the H55?

How would a 1FZ-FE's power band match up with the H55?

I've had minimal seat time in a 1FZ/H55F powered vehicle but it felt nice imo.

I have been seriously thinking about a 5 speed for a long time for my '87. I run 33's with OME heavies front and rear, long range fuel tank, 4Plus bumpers/tire and fuel carriers so a good bit of extra weight. The truck is in great shape, steering components are new and brakes are good but I don't really like to go much over 65mph in it. RPMs are pretty reasonable at that speed, at around 2500. Anything over 70 is a little fast for me in one of these old trucks. So I am just not sure I would see a whole lot of benefit from it. I still think it would be nice but wondering if it would really be worth the effort and expense. I do a fair bit of highway driving in it, probably 30-40% of total mileage. The idea of having a brand new Toyota transmission is probably more enticing to me than the extra gear. also maybe some noise reduction an highway speeds.

I have been seriously thinking about a 5 speed for a long time for my '87. I run 33's with OME heavies front and rear, long range fuel tank, 4Plus bumpers/tire and fuel carriers so a good bit of extra weight. The truck is in great shape, steering components are new and brakes are good but I don't really like to go much over 65mph in it. RPMs are pretty reasonable at that speed, at around 2500. Anything over 70 is a little fast for me in one of these old trucks. So I am just not sure I would see a whole lot of benefit from it. I still think it would be nice but wondering if it would really be worth the effort and expense. I do a fair bit of highway driving in it, probably 30-40% of total mileage. The idea of having a brand new Toyota transmission is probably more enticing to me than the extra gear. also maybe some noise reduction an highway speeds.

I think you’ll find that with all the weight you will find yourself downshifting to 4th a lot and staying there when the rpm’s drop below 2000 with 3.70 gears.

Based on my personal experience, if the truck goes much below 2500 in 5th you lose a lot of forward momentum.

If you’re much above stock weight the truck really can get slow in 4th and 5th with 3.70. 4.11 gears, 32-33” tires would set a 2F powered truck in a perfect sweet spot for rpm.

Not that I want to hijack the thread but is there a difference tween the h55 and the nv4500?
The H55f is a Toyota factory transmission. The nv4500 is manufactured by new venture which is an OEM to GM, among others. Hope this helps.

Cheers, James

I think you’ll find that with all the weight you will find yourself downshifting to 4th a lot and staying there when the rpm’s drop below 2000 with 3.70 gears.

Based on my personal experience, if the truck goes much below 2500 in 5th you lose a lot of forward momentum.

If you’re much above stock weight the truck really can get slow in 4th and 5th with 3.70. 4.11 gears, 32-33” tires would set a 2F powered truck in a perfect sweet spot for rpm.
I'll 2nd that. With your added weight, you would benefit from the lower 1st gear but if you regeared the diffs to 4.10's it would be like factory gearing with your 33's.
The stock 1st low is too fast in my opinion. My stock 1980 pickup has a much slower 1st low.

I feel that 1st in low range with 3.70 is way too slow and 2nd is too fast.

2nd/low would be my go to travel gear and 90% of obstacles with 4.11.

Not that I want to hijack the thread but is there a difference tween the h55 and the nv4500?
This is what’s going through my head right now too. I currently have an 83 with stock 2f and four speed. Engine is at 280k miles, really want something faster to take the highway for camping trips. Would like to put in an ls LM7 eventually, don’t have the money now but I could swing an H55, and the idea of being able to use the H55 with the LS instead of just putting in an nv4500 like my original plan was makes the h55 very very appealing. Just don’t know if it’s stupid to put an LM7 in with an H55 instead of thr nv4500

The H55F won’t make a 2F FJ60 any faster. It just drops the revs a bit when driving over 65 mph.
Also the H55F was designed to be installed behind a relatively underpowered Toyota I6 engine, not a high powered V8.
Personally I’d rather match a GM V8 engine with the transmission that was designed for it.

The H55F won’t make a 2F FJ60 any faster. It just drops the revs a bit when driving over 65 mph.
Also the H55F was designed to be installed behind a relatively underpowered Toyota I6 engine, not a high powered V8.
Personally I’d rather match a GM V8 engine with the transmission that was designed for it.
If my 60 is able to go above 60mph that’s faster haha. I can maybe push 65mph at 2800rpm but I don’t like to push it past 2500rpm and that puts me at around 55-60mph, 65mph-70mph would be amazing

I did a 5.3/H55f last year, 33’s with stock 3.70 gearing, quite nice .

I just finished a trip to Kansas and back from Jacksonville, Fl. Drove an 85 with 4 speed out there (needs a tune-up) and returned in an 84 with brand new H55. Both have about 30-31" tires and stock gears. Neither have any bumpers or racks or significant added weight. Both engines have around 150k miles on them, "fully" smogged (PO on 84 has made some changes, removed some things, the full extent I am still discovering).

The drive out I kept to state highways so going 65 would be tolerable, about 12 mpg. The drive back, doing 70+ on the interstates was easy, about 15 mpg. Roughly the same rpm.

I have almost zero experience off-road or low range with either vehicle so I won't comment on the differences there.

I like the upgrade for two reasons so far, first is just getting a new transmission that makes less noise. Second, fifth gear. Around town at 45+ mph on the flat on up to 75+ works great in fifth. I don't notice much difference between first and fourth on the two wagons.

The way both wagons drive at 2500 to 3000 rpm, I am fairly confident I could have 33s and still drive at highway speeds, even on the hills. Again, I have little permanent added weight on either wagon.

HTH, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom