Events/Trails 💥Pig Party 2022💥 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In 2019 we were supposed to do something in Eastern Utah but the snow prevented us from that. Can we look into that again?

In 2019 we were supposed to do something in Eastern Utah but the snow prevented us from that. Can we look into that again?

I did cook up a plan in Utah for the 2019 Pig Party, but we got snowed out.
I brought it up as a possible idea for this year, but I think the reaction was something like "we want to look at new ideas, not old". :meh:

We can still run with the Cumbres and Toltec railroad trail. That would put us in New Mexico. There must be some camping areas there. There is also dispersed camping north west of there at Turkey Springs.

We need a plan.
I was going back through the 2019 thread and it looks like we never got comfortable enough w/ snowpack levels to post the plans we were cooking up:

I can dig through emails for specifics of what we were thinking if the group is interested in this plan.

Wish we were having snowpack problems this year. :confused: The local lake we swim is not sure if they will get any fill water from run-off...

Thanks, Mark. I’ve been looking in that same area. Anxious to see what you find out this weekend. Also keeping Rico in mind as a fairly close backup though my personal preference is to not repeat.
Thanks, Mark. I’ve been looking in that same area. Anxious to see what you find out this weekend. Also keeping Rico in mind as a fairly close backup though my personal preference is to not repeat.
fb2f2b65-0f2d-4c73-b890-3c5d90381ff1-jpeg.3020486

Here’s a few pics from yesterday. There’s definitely plenty of room, but only one pit toilet that I could find. Unfortunately it’s all the way on the other side of the reservoir. Otherwise a hike up into the woods is nearby.
8146CEE1-362F-40EC-BC12-FA4B897A3EDC.jpeg
0BC204DF-8748-4D05-90AA-7498182AE0FD.jpeg

FB2F2B65-0F2D-4C73-B890-3C5D90381FF1.jpeg

We now have a new fire across the border in CO near Antonito.

Since people have already made travel plans and created schedules around northern NM/southern CO how about considering Doomer’s suggestion a few posts back to return to Rico, the site of our first Pig Party? It’s about 100 miles (more or less) away.
Advantages…great trails that some of us already know, easier to manage at this late date, no need to adjust dates/destinations and confuse plans, proximity to the original destination, close to premier off road trails. I haven’t checked out the Cayton campground situation yet but there were plenty of sites/facilities though sites required reservations. There are other non reservation campgrounds nearby.
Thoughts? Seems like a decent possibility without totally reinventing things just a few weeks out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom