Barn find FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes sir

4BC3714B-268C-470E-92A0-F14256572B65.jpeg

MiniPig!!!
Long time, no see.

Do you know if a good 4-core replacement for the 55s? AFAIK, Moseley has a drop in replacement, but it is >4 bills.
Hey brother… it’s been awhile. Gawd Im jonsing for a pig. I have my 70 and it looks piggy enough for now I guess.

I will look around. There has to be a good four core where you don’t have to hand over body parts.

OK everybody Update: I finally got the title for the rig so I can talk about it now. DMV licensed agent told me not to bring much attention to it while waiting for title in case some one had a claim on it. I was just going to turn this over to some one with more resources than I have but I can't. I bought my FJ40 brand new in 1977 and it is my baby, but there is something about this FJ55 that I really like. I AM KEEPING THE PIG! I really like all the extra room compared to the 40. I have arranged to obtain another 68 FJ55 for a parts rig. I am very familiar with 40's but I am sure I will need help on issues FJ55 specific. More pics in a couple of weeks( haven't done much more than clean it out) as I am getting ready to go to Colorado next week on a parts run. Looking forward to being a part of this group. Dennis.

I do believe in Karma. It may take a while but it seems to always comes around.
How I found this FJ55: Coming home one afternoon from work and there is a young man in front of my house apparently having car trouble
Me: Having car trouble?
YM: Nope it looks like I am just out of gas.
Me: Want a ride to the corner gas station? - not even a mile away
YM: You'd do that?
Me: Sure - any excuse to drive the cruiser on a beautiful autumn day
Pull out my FJ40 - it is in very good condition
YM: Damn mister that rig is nice!
Me: Thanks I have had it a long time
On the way to gas station
YM: I work for my families wood cutting business up on the mountain and we have a Toyota Land Cruiser but it doesn't look like this.
Me: What does it look like?
YM: Bigger and Older - we are going to move and may be selling it? Want to come see it?
Me: Can you send some pics?
He did and you pretty much know the rest of the story. So I feel like my small act of kindness was rewarded in a Karma kind of way

Update: I have not done anything really to the 55 until recently due to a variety of reasons. Got things in order and I have discovered some interesting things.
1) Engine is not seized, starter motor spins engine easily, oil was dark but pure oil no milky anything no water no chunks in the bottom of pan, Compression 1 - 6 118; 65; 120; 95; 118; 122; , under the valve cover looks pristine, valves adjusted properly for cold valves, leak down test on deck for tonight/tomorrow.
2) Transmission and transfer case linkages are frozen but I have not investigated
3) There is rust in the drivers side floor that I did not check for - that is my fault-not bad no rust through
4) low beams work, turn signals work, no heater blower, no wipers yet
5) Stumbled on to some parts this afternoon.
IMG_0202[1].JPG
IMG_0205[1].JPG
IMG_0206[1].JPG
IMG_0207[1].JPG

It runs!!! Fuel pump not working but I rebuilt the carb and filled float bowl with syringe and fired right up. No radiator so no continued running but I have donor vehicle arranged to solve that. Next up trans/T-case.

Yeah @PabloCruise, I got lucky on those parts. Local Craigslist but the guy has no Pay-Pal account so I was first person there with cash in my hands. I did not spend a lot of money on those parts. The "4" emblem looks like it was never on a vehicle. Asked about other parts he might have and he said he would get back to me. I have quite a bit of the electrical sorted out. Obviously ignition circuit works. I have low beams, turn signals, brake lights, dome light, license plate light, oil pressure gauge, ammeter gauge. Next up in electrical are wipers and heater. I also need to inspect high beam/ turn signal switch as I don't have high beams or tail lights. Going to look at Trans and T-case this afternoon. I still have the tailgate and all that fun to do but donor vehicle has that. The pace of getting this back on the road should speed up when I get donor vehicle to my place at the end of next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom