1991 RHD 1HDT hdj81 Power Side MIrrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I could see it being the gears if only one side worked, but if both sides don't work and you can't hear the little motor whirring, there's probably another issue than the gears.

Took the old mirror apart and the gears are mint, so it must be electrical..So odd to hear the motor whirling. I might take it apart on the truck and remove the cover and see what is happening.

nah most likely same issue as before. gears strip. the plastics gears are so cheap that a small hit and they damage. stupid design.
Nope, gears are mint like the original mirror. One of strange things, when I see two different mirrors doing the same thing I need to look further.

The folding mirrors on my '93 haven't worked since I got it, I purchased a mirror switch but that didn't change anything. The power adjustment works, just not the folding function, can't hear anything trying to work when you hit the button, that's the extent of my troubleshooting efforts.

I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

My 91's are sluggish at best, mind you this winter while chasing a no 24v start issue I'd hooked up two 12v spare batteries in series directly to the starter and grounded to the frame. Low and behold the mirrors were cycling like mad.
I know this doesn't help you but leads me to: Electrical issues!

so i opened my mirrors saturday and fixed them

when you remove the covers and the motor cover, you will see this little motor
20200620_151055.jpg

on this shaft, there is supposed to be this gear that is split in 2.
20200620_151103.jpg

on one side, the gear had a crack and the shaft was simply spining away and not movign the gear. this gear is supposed to be fixed to shaft and not spin independently to it. I simply used plastic expoxy and stuck it on and for the split in 2 gear, i did the same taking extreme care to ensure the groves line up then fixed it to the shaft with epoxy and let dry for a couple hours.

end result, i now have perfectly working open and close mirrors :)))))))))))))))))))))))

now to get the powered part to work for the left side as the previous owner swapped a non powered mirror assembly into the housing. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr any one got a left side mirror that they are willign to part with the up down lef tright motor part?

Last edited:
Does this mean you might have an extra left-side mirror for sale? Mine is completely busted and at this point I don't care about the retraction. PM me if that's the case, thanks mate!
Left side was the truely buggered mirror.

so i opened my mirrors saturday and fixed them

when you remove the covers and the motor cover, you will see this little motor
View attachment 2348992

on this shaft, there is supposed to be this gear that is split in 2.View attachment 2348994

on one side, the gear had a crack and the shaft was simply spining away and not movign the gear. this gear is supposed to be fixed to shaft and not spin independently to it. I simply used plastic expoxy and stuck it on and for the split in 2 gear, i did the same taking extreme care to ensure the groves line up then fixed it to the shaft with epoxy and let dry for a couple hours.

end result, i now have perfectly working open and close mirrors :)))))))))))))))))))))))

now to get the powered part to work for the left side as the previous owner swapped a non powered mirror assembly into the housing. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr any one got a left side mirror that they are willign to part with the up down lef tright motor part?
I have the same problem, I have tried to superglue mine a couple times and it always breaks loose again, what epoxy did you use?

i used a plastic epoxy. has to be the very strong stuff. normal glue will fail.... ask me how i know lol

I just got my folding mirrors working correctly thanks to the helpful info in this thread. The issue was with the worm gear on the motor shaft as often seems to be the case. One thing I might add. The mounting screw on the front of my motor was loose, which allowed the motor to move around a bit and affect the gear mesh, likely contributing to the issue. It's the small screw to the left of the motor shaft in the first pic in post #27. Might be good to check it if your in there.

Sigh on my to do list as well. Mirror assemblis are listed as $184.00 USD on Partsouq but NLA. If it's just the little gear though should be simple enough.

Guys,

Trying to find a left mirror, mine is destroyed. Any leads? Tried Partsouq but they say no inventory..

Part # should be 879406011003
Model HDJ81V-RNPEX Color 20R.

Thanks!

Hit up @Bardiya, he's always posting in the Diesel classifieds section, he can get after-market mirrors painted to match in UAE. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet on mine.

that worm gear looks similar to other Toyotas I know in "Asia" they have a lot of cars that have folding mirrors most toyotas did even in the early 90s. being a Toyota I wouldn't be supprised if this would fit

I know many Hiace/granvia/corolla have interchangeable mirror gears and they swap mirror gears all the time mirrors are always being swiped off because of there driving habits /motor cycles or even just driving too close.

just browsing Aliexpress for mirror replacement gears a whole lot comes up maybe if we can find the specs of the gear we can find gears in different materials maybe brass would be better?

1660589992115.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom