What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These pictures are great, I am in the market for the floor vinyl. Looking at CityRacer, CCOT, and used OEM. CCOT website has a great picture of vinyl going all under the seat and everything, but I don't think they offer a piece for under the seats anymore, at least not for the tank-in-cab models. They are also out of stock on the floor insulation. I was wondering about that insulation though... was OEM just metal then the tar/asphalt stuff, and then vinyl, or did they have some kind of insulation like the jute fiber stuff?

There is a thin insulation on the back of the OEM mat. 73-78 stock exhaust below the skid plate and heat shield above the exhaust behind the skid plate and above the muffler. Most run the exhaust the above the skid plate which adds more heat into the cab.

Actually, I think it looks great….their photo makes it look a lot less fitted. Since the city racers guys will be back on Wednesday, I’ll wait and see. I have the carpet version but living on a dirt road and zero paved area, the sand and gravel load up in the carpet easily.

Mind posing a few more pics of it?

These pictures are great, I am in the market for the floor vinyl. Looking at CityRacer, CCOT, and used OEM. CCOT website has a great picture of vinyl going all under the seat and everything, but I don't think they offer a piece for under the seats anymore, at least not for the tank-in-cab models. They are also out of stock on the floor insulation. I was wondering about that insulation though... was OEM just metal then the tar/asphalt stuff, and then vinyl, or did they have some kind of insulation like the jute fiber stuff?

There is a thin insulation on the back of the OEM mat. 73-78 stock exhaust below the skid plate and heat shield above the exhaust behind the skid plate and above the muffler. Most run the exhaust the above the skid plate which adds more heat into the cab.

On top of the CCOT front mat I used their heavy duty rear mat and cut a set of front mats to match the rear. Provides a pretty good insulation barrier hot or cold clime..

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_1251(1).jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

A set of stainless trim rings would really set off the front of your truck if you're open to going bezel-less.

A set of stainless trim rings would really set off the front of your truck if you're open to going bezel-less.

Good to know but the bezel is off because it's getting painted at the same time as the hartdtop at my paint guru's shop. :cool:
As seen in: Builds - Skin Deep: 1963 FJ40 resto - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/skin-deep-1963-fj40-resto.1226563/

Last edited:
I took today off work, and they gave us Monday, so that adds up to a 4 day weekend. I've been waiting for something like this to do a big project: remove the hardtop. When I put it on in 2011, I had no idea that it needed weather stripping, so there's that, and then there are wires for the dome light and wipers that needed replacing/repair, and a half dozen broken bolts (broke 2 more while I was at it for good measure.). Plus, while I'm at it, I have new hinge pins and bushings from @SMG to install for the doors. Today is the end of day 1, and I'm tired folks. But I put a dent in it. First picture: Hardtop Hoist Country style:

TopOff.jpg

Next Picture: Wow, what a win!!! Look what I found floating around inside the windshield channel:

UnObTainium.jpg

That's my original windshield squirter, busted of course, but that's okay cause I already have a replacement. But I'm TOTALLY stoked about that little rubber, 90 degree piece of Unobtainium there :cool:. Tomorrow I'm on to CityRacer rubber and SMG door pins. Going to try to have it all buttoned up for a car show on Monday. Wish me luck!

Here’s the current state of affairs. I am a relentless tweeker. Lots and lots of little things. I have a few things underway that although may have been done before I havent found evidence of (more to come). After building an 80 with a lot of fixins’ that were cool but unnecessary I feel I have a good leg up here.

E34FBA5F-F3D9-45E5-8364-CF0074DFC04C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have some more progress to report on my 68' FJ40 Resto-Mod project with restoring my front bench seats.
It took longer than I expected because I had to change jobs in the middle of it.
This what they looked like when I got them from the P.O.
Front Drivers seat original.jpg
Front passenger seat top original.jpg

Front passenger seat bottom original.jpg

Passenger seat back.jpg

This is what they look like now. Note that still need to install the pull handles but they are on order.
My finished front seats 01.jpg

My finished front seats 02.jpg

Need to restore top on '69FJ40. PO installed new headliner with no regard to weatherstrip condition or rust. I used 6mil plastic and golf tees to protect the headliner.
1653770518625.png

Treated the rust and replaced a few rivets. Test fitting weatherstrip over tees worked well and helped identify a few holes in new rubber that needed moved a little.
1653771003747.png

I don't have a hole punch so I put a pipe nipple on the grinder and made one.
1653771129351.png

Good results with this and a BFH.
1653771232155.png

And now to start working on the fiberglass.

Need to restore top on '69FJ40. PO installed new headliner with no regard to weatherstrip condition or rust.

The original owner did the same with my early 1970 model. Rust wasn't an issue. Gasket on the other hand needed to be replaced. Instead the shop that did the work used some type of tar between the sides/hatch and the gasket. Leaked thru the bolts to the top of the gasket. Paint is thin on fiberglass but no cracks. Just want to touch up the sides on the gutter. Let the next owner decide if they want to repaint the cap. Anyone know of a touch of paint for a modern Toyota that is close to the cap color?
20220503_145336.jpg
20220503_125445.jpg

20220503_125455(0).jpg

20220524_135033.jpg

20220524_135008.jpg

The new OEM gasket has oval holes instead of round the original one. Only hole I can find missing is the second one for the interior light.

Another day of all FJ40 work, these are the days of our lives. So many good things, and I made sure to pause for pictures today, so here we go. First, I just want to pause and admire the FJ40 with the top off, I think that I will not see this sight very many times in the future, due to how much effort is involved. And how much paint I chipped off the roll bar:

TopOff2.jpg

Next, how many bazillion bolts are at the base of the hard top. Ok, like 14 I think, I'm being dramatic. But about 6 of them had broken bolts in the weld nuts. So I get 5 of them done, and of course the last one had to just completely break. So, I took a 6mm shoulder nut and ground it down to fit in the hole:

WeldNut.jpg

I shouldn't post this next picture, I absolutely suck at welding, but maybe it will help someone:

BadWelding.jpg

Everytime an FJ40 Emblem gets some Barcelona Red paint an angle gets its wings:

EmblemsAfter.jpg

Super Clean Windshield Base.... Oh, only five files, so wrapping this up... Super Clean Windshield Base with FluidFilm and Super Sexy CityRacer Rubber:

WindshielRubber.jpg

I hooked up the T100 Non-ABS fluid sensor to the new Master Cylinder so that now, hopefully, if there were ever to be a loss of brake fluid, the brake light on the dash will illuminate.

View attachment 3020597

If you’re lucky it’ll illuminate in time to tell you it’s time to change your shorts. At about the same time your foot hits the floor.

I’ve never been a great fan of idiot lights. Far too often the information them provide is too little too late. Nothing will replace a good pretrip inspection of your vehicle. On Comercial vehicles they are required by law, but they are still important on passenger vehicles. I’d recommend doing one any time your vehicle has sat for a few days, Daily when driving would be best… but at least once a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom