For Sale Colorado - 1981 FJ40 - Someone didn't do enough research (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Blue
Not mine and No Affiliation - Craigslist Ad

Purchased a Toyota FJ40 that was for sale at a Ford Dealership - RED FLAG #1

Toyota FJ40 1981

Purchased from Mike Maroon Ford in Longmont, CO last year. It had been a dream of mine to own one of these since I was 14 years old. But, I'm not a gear head and had an incorrect understanding of the emissions laws in Colorado, specifically and most importantly, where I live in Larimer County. Unfortunately, the vehicle didn't pass my local emissions and I'm not one to know how to fix it myself, so I'm selling it. I know I could find some place to help me do whatever needs to be done but honestly, I'm worried it would be a problem I'd have to readdress each time I re-register and just don't have the patience for that.

The vehicle has only been driven about 50 miles my since purchase. After buying it, I drove back to Fort Collins from Longmont and shortly after that to try and pass emissions (tried 1x and it failed).

From what I can tell and have been able to learn, this is an import restoration, likely from Columbia. The seats have been recovered but the originals still exist underneath the new leather. The hubcap retainers appear to be homemade and the hubcaps themselves fit poorly (lost one on the first drive home and ordered another), the instrument cluster isn't very if at all accurate and it could use a little TLC in a few places here and there (you'll see in the pics that I had to duct tape the washer fluid container down to keep it from slipping off its bracket). All of that said, especially for a gear head who has experience in these things or someone who lives in a CO county or another state where emissions aren't an issue, it could be a fun vehicle and is definitely a head turner.

Just trying to recoup what I paid to buy it and the little bit I put into it. SALE IS FINAL AND CASH ONLY (NO EXCEPTIONS). Would prefer it be someone who's able to come see it for themselves. Unless local, buyer should plan on having the vehicle shipped or hauling it home.

00c0c_bQkSEfmvwuhz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_3VQvsMyO22zz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_a4f74PlEG8jz_0t20t2_1200x900.jpg

"Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - WC Fields

Ya, that’s too bad. The seller is definitely going to take a substantial haircut when all said & done. Summer Buzz cut. He better get ready for a bath.
Unless he pulls off a miracle and find another sucker.
looks like a 15 K rig, and a 25K loss 😢

Something about a fool and his money…

But seriously I’m surprised there wasn’t some recourse with the dealership. They sold him a car that isn’t legal for him to drive in the seller’s state. I figured most states had some sort of consumer protection laws surrounding cars. Surprised he didn’t use social media to go nuclear on them. They look like a serious dealership. $40,000. Yikes.

CL Post has been "Deleted"

Man...$40K? Ooof, yeah, he's gonna be so far underwater, the Titanic waved at him as he went by!

I feel for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom