Nothing of interest here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of which, I received a package today from Mr. @Chungas Revenge himself! The repeated generosity of cruiser people has lead me to the conclusion that cruiser karma has to be real and these rigs must be more than just simply Japanese trucks- there's something special about them. I've built and owned more vehicles than I can remember (literally), of all makes and varieties. and prior to this build the concept of free parts was a ridiculous notion. Crazier still the idea they'd be coming from "strangers" on the internet...and it doesn't stop there, postage on this wasn't insignificant- so it actually cost him a pretty penny to send me free parts... yet here they are. Cruiser people are a special breed, and it's a privilege to be a part of the community. Thank you sir, I will give them a good home standing duty protecting the rear of my formerly stripped and neglected 40.

View attachment 3001470
I have the same experience on MUD. Internet strangers willing to help, send parts, share information. It is a great community.

Speaking of which, I received a package today from Mr. @Chungas Revenge himself! The repeated generosity of cruiser people has lead me to the conclusion that cruiser karma has to be real and these rigs must be more than just simply Japanese trucks- there's something special about them. I've built and owned more vehicles than I can remember (literally), of all makes and varieties. and prior to this build the concept of free parts was a ridiculous notion. Crazier still the idea they'd be coming from "strangers" on the internet...and it doesn't stop there, postage on this wasn't insignificant- so it actually cost him a pretty penny to send me free parts... yet here they are. Cruiser people are a special breed, and it's a privilege to be a part of the community. Thank you sir, I will give them a good home standing duty protecting the rear of my formerly stripped and neglected 40.

View attachment 3001470
You're so right. This community of landcruiser owners and enthusiasts are great people more often than not. It's always fun watching someone with a passion for fixing these little trucks up work, and helping out because often it was paid forward to you at some point.
I think you're going to have to change the title of this thread because apparently there are things of interest here. I'll be watching along the way. Keep up the great work.

Just seeing this now. The solution is really kind of simple. If you get the ‘75 and newer windshield HINGES, the extra length in the stand-off to the pivot kicks the frame FORWARD as well as up (to clear the bottom-mount wiper motor)

I can make you a good deal on some of those hinges if yo’d like to buys some from me.😉
I had still not done any checking on this but hinges would definitely not have been my first guess as the solution to this issue...I will definitely take a set, I'll call the shop in the next day or two. Thanks for the knowledge drop, that's some good info!

More parts in. Misc bundle from @hyhpe 100 shipped and a rust free header and ambulance latches along with windshield knobs (not pictured) from @Drake2 360 shipped

KIMG1670.JPG

FINALLY got to get some cruiser time in today. I'd been dying to see this thing together and see how everything would fit with all pieces in place. Immediately hit issues when I set the hardtop sides and noticed the drivers side was way closer to the roll bar than the passenger. Turns out it's bent. Did some straightening...it's not perfect but I'll need it at the real shop to improve it further. Went ahead and sat the sides and new to me ambulance header then manhandled the cap into place. Also had to do some notching on the front visor to clear the top mount wiper arm bases. Finally, it dropped into place and everything came together and fit nicely.

KIMG1730.JPG

KIMG1725.JPG

KIMG1727.JPG

KIMG1722.JPG

KIMG1723.JPG

It still doesn't look like much but I'm pretty stoked to see my stripped and abandoned carcass of a 40 reach a stage where I consider it a "completeish" roller. It's pretty encouraging to see it at least resemble a complete vehicle. As a bonus, with everything mocked up I don't see any panel fitment or alignment issues that a little adjustment won't cure so hopefully no further surprises with bent tubs or body parts.

KIMG1744.JPG

KIMG1739.JPG

KIMG1740.JPG

I had also noticed that it had become pretty difficult to push around so I did a little investigation and found the culprit...the caliper was still in place but obviously not really attracted to anything so was wedging. Luckily (thanks to a special at Napa) I've already procured reman calipers in anticipation of this thing someday moving under it's own power and needing to be able to stop.

KIMG1735.JPG

Wow.
Props to you for diving in and making a rescue, it will be sooo rewarding to take that first drive, with a wide grin!!

This/\
You should feel very proud about how far this truck has changed from the first pictures in this thread.

I've been ridiculously busy lately so no noteworthy updates on the 40. I have managed to cover some ground on the truck I'm doing work on in trade for it though. Pics for posterity and because it's a cool project in its own right. Also, everyone loves pics.

KIMG1905.JPG

KIMG1906.JPG

KIMG1901.JPG

KIMG1903.JPG

KIMG1900.JPG

@Homey15 Any updates on the 40? Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm ashamed to have to admit, I haven't made much progress on it in the past year. I did manage to get rust repair on both front floor pans done before I had to take the welder back to my shop to work on other projects, leaving me with nothing at my mom's shop(where the 40 currently lives). High points of my excuses for getting nothing done are as follows: I got a new job which took a good bite out of my free time, I've been trying to get some house projects knocked out and off my list of things to do, and I convinced myself I needed a gas getter daily driver that wasnt a p.o.s. to replace my s*** box car with. Enter project "nothing of interest here #2" which can be found in the mini truck forum if anyone wants to see what I've been up to while I should have been tinkering with the 40. I'm happy to report that project is very near completion, and will soon be leaving my shop to come home and be driven, which will open a bay for the 40. I'm hoping that within a month or so I will have it(the 40) settled into it's new home in a fully equipped shop rather than the cold storage building it's currently in, and getting work done on it will become much easier. While I haven't been getting anything noteworthy accomplished on it, I've still been thinking about it a lot and pipe dreaming of the day I get to finally drive it -and I've recently been kicking around the idea of trying to come up with a 2f/4speed to drop back in it rather than the 3.4/auto from the Tacoma parts rig I've got... What would mud do?

It still doesn't look like much but I'm pretty stoked to see my stripped and abandoned carcass of a 40 reach a stage where I consider it a "completeish" roller. It's pretty encouraging to see it at least resemble a complete vehicle. As a bonus, with everything mocked up I don't see any panel fitment or alignment issues that a little adjustment won't cure so hopefully no further surprises with bent tubs or body parts.

View attachment 3009860

View attachment 3009861

View attachment 3009862
It looks like amazing progress if you ask me! I think that it needs an LS4 😊. Keep going!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom