Main relay died...fixed...ran for 2 days and now wont start...again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theewhitemouse.tumblr.com
88 FJ62 - Recently troubleshooted a bad main (efi) relay and replaced with 30 amp bosch relay per muds suggestions. Drove it 80 miles in the past two days and now shes got the same issue. Cranking really well but doesnt seem like fuel is getting to the engine. Diagnostic terminal jump did not allow the engine to turn over this time. Replaced with 2nd new bosch relay (per muds suggestion to buy 2) and nothing. I am guessing the fuel pump is shot but welcoming any suggestions to get me home today. Fuel filter was replaced last year. Never had these issues before in 12 years of having her.

Go back to the basics:

1. check all your fuses
2. verify spark
3. verify fuel (if you already suspect the pump then the easiest test is to jump 12v to it and see if you can hear it run).

From there follow the diagnostic path for whatever you dont have.

Last edited:
88 FJ62 - Recently troubleshooted a bad main (efi) relay and replaced with 30 amp bosch relay per muds suggestions. Drove it 80 miles in the past two days and now shes got the same issue. Cranking really well but doesnt seem like fuel is getting to the engine. Diagnostic terminal jump did not allow the engine to turn over this time. Replaced with 2nd new bosch relay (per muds suggestion to buy 2) and nothing. I am guessing the fuel pump is shot but welcoming any suggestions to get me home today. Fuel filter was replaced last year. Never had these issues before in 12 years of having her.
Just to echo master mechanic Seth.
Since you were playing around with electrical stuff last. I would double check your terminals and the fuseable links at your batteries. Then the fuses inside the cabin. The engine / EFI ones. etc. Not hard to pop those if you're grounding out somewhere.
Fuel pump would be an easy check, especially if someone else can crawl underneath the car to listen.
Spark is easy to check, especially if you have screwdriver with you, to short one of the spark plug wires.

You'll have learned a lot about what's going by excluding some of these things.
It be be odd for like the fuel pump to die so close after having done electrical work, but I've had one "die" because the negative lead had snapped off the fuel pump bracket inside the tank while sitting in the garage... Stuff can happen.

Could be the Circuit Opening Relay has failed and if so the fuel will not run. In the diagnostic port jump B+ and FP and try cranking the engine. If it starts then you've isolated the COR as the culprit. Denso COR is available from Rockauto for a reasonable price.

I would do a complete wiring harness inspection, especially the part that runs under the intake.

Thanks for all the tips on tracking this down. Quick update. I was ready to leave it at the office yesterday and deal with towing her home till I had time. I went to lock it up for the night and figured I'd try to fire her up for poops and giggles.......she of course fired right up! Jumped in and drove it home. Ran like dream as she always does. Got home. Turned it off in the driveway. Tried to start it up again with success. Repeated the process several times throughout the evening and again and again starts up. SO I will go through all of the above this weekend and hope to find an obvious culprit. Until then I'll be grocery getting in the golf cart. Will update soon.
FJ Golf Cart.jpg

@FJHAIRSPRAY

Are those the Vintiques wheels? Spacers ?

Truck looks great.

@FJHAIRSPRAY

Are those the Vintiques wheels? Spacers ?

Truck looks great.
Thanks! just painted it in the garage for the second time. Getting better at! And yes those are the 16" vintiques with trail gear spacers. I did a set of 2" on the back and 1.5" on the front...or vise versa?

Thanks! just painted it in the garage for the second time. Getting better at! And yes those are the 16" vintiques with trail gear spacers. I did a set of 2" on the back and 1.5" on the front...or vise versa?
Post some build/config details in another thread if you haven’t already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom