Airbox - broken nipple - needs repaired (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

The nipple in the photo has broken off my airbox assembly - currently I have the hose taped on (not satisfactory) - Has anyone repaired this / similar and if so how did you do it?

The shop's suggestion was $1000 for a new air box.....:oops:

Thx
Jim

LC airbox - nipple.png

Id use epoxy like mentioned above as my first move before spending any money then find the cheapest dealership for parts, they aren't made equal.

I used jb weld on the interior surface then used a soldering iron and melted around the circumference of the crack and then followed up with more jb weld on top.
I think this will be my first attempt - I'm gonna get some irrigation nipples (different sizes) and see what is most suitable - will also look to see if there is a suitable bulkhead fitting - as ever, for aging vehicles & motorcycles - JB weld is king :D

I tried JB weld. It will fail the next time you want to remove everything.

My permanent fix was a threaded brass nipple. I drilled the hole out just smaller than the threads, put Teflon tape on the nipple, and it essentially self tapped as I threaded it on. Permanent as can be and cost me nothing, as I had it laying around in the shop. Maybe $5?

Plastics can be hard to glue, look up the plastic type and get the correct glue / epoxy.

I wouldn't use glue or epoxy myself in this case but some sort of metal bulkhead fitting / nipple with a nut behind and rubber seal.

Something like this:
H6ac02b4f4be54999bb4c11f8cb9442d1O.jpg_Q55.jpg

Plastics can be hard to glue, look up the plastic type and get the correct glue / epoxy.

I wouldn't use glue or epoxy myself in this case but some sort of metal bulkhead fitting / nipple with a nut behind and rubber seal.

Something like this:
yep - thx Yves - the thru fitting with ability to tighten up against the airbox from either side - I'm going to the hardware store and will rummage for something suitable - will update the post when I find the right thing. Quite keen on plastic & epoxy as joint is not under stress (my tape repair has lasted a year no problem) & my experience with JB weld in similar environment is positive (will never use it on fuel lines but air is OK)

1.5” of 1816 aluminum arrow work well …if you’re a bowhunter and happen to have one. It will fit perfectly nice and tight inside the broken off nipple and then slide the hose over. No JB weld necessary.

6677B715-6CC3-49C6-BCC1-ADBED6BAFE13.png

1.5” of 1816 aluminum arrow work well …if you’re a bowhunter and happen to have one. It will fit perfectly nice and tight inside the broken off nipple and then slide the hose over. No JB weld necessary.

View attachment 3017782
that is more than awesome - exactly what I was looking for - someone who had fixed same issue - right off to raid the boy's arrows.....

I also used a small hose, electrical tape on this one, on other end to make hose fit tighter.

13E22278-C3E9-4950-A52C-4B0A8046309B.jpeg

Last edited:

Something like this:
This is what I used when this exact nipple broke on mine last year. Mine had a 90 degree bend in it though. The plastic wall of the airbox is thick enough for something like this to work. I drilled out the hole a little bigger, wrapped a little bit of plumbers tape around the threads and just screwed it in until it was tight. Just don't overdo it because you definitely don't want to crack the box. It's worked perfectly fine for the last year and hasn't become loose or anything like that.

Something like this:

This is what Rich from Rich Rebuilds youtube channel used to repair a tesla battery coolant nipple that broke off. Tesla wanted 20k for a new battery lol.

No way would I buy a new box when you can fix this for under 10% of a new airbox. You can use brake line building parts to put a piece through from one side and compress it on both sides with nut/washer.

Or get a screw in barb fitting and bolt it in on one side. Use some big fender washers and never experience a break again.

My permanent fix was a threaded brass nipple. I drilled the hole out just smaller than the threads, put Teflon tape on the nipple, and it essentially self tapped as I threaded it on. Permanent as can be and cost me nothing, as I had it laying around in the shop. Maybe $5?
Exactly what I did, it's been fine for ~5 years. I didn't drill it out, the nipple snapped off pretty clean, and I was lucky enough that the brass nipple just snug enough to make some threads in the plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom