New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lets ask what Dobinson considers stock height.
Center of hub to bottom of fender flare.
20" front and 21" rear is the average I always go by

Okay yes I agree, for me 20" seems to be the general rule for the 80 series.

That’s what I went by. Ended up around 24.5 in the front and 25 in the rear.

Anybody have any good pictures how the rear MRA shocks should be positioned? Trying to get a clear picture which direction the reservoirs should be facing to clear the sway bars and rear links when flexed out.

Anybody have any good pictures how the rear MRA shocks should be positioned? Trying to get a clear picture which direction the reservoirs should be facing to clear the sway bars and rear links when flexed out.
Here is what I had to go with, no extensive testing or issues to date yet tho. Not liking that the adjustments are getting blasted by debris but they seem to be holding up with minimal use.

1653323196619.png

That is stupid clean.

Here is what I had to go with, no extensive testing or issues to date yet tho. Not liking that the adjustments are getting blasted by debris but they seem to be holding up with minimal use.

View attachment 3016340
Thanks for the pic! Did those rubber boots come with the kit or did you need to source those separately?

That is stupid clean.
not anymore!!:p

Thanks for the pic! Did those rubber boots come with the kit or did you need to source those separately?
With the shocks, I installed without them on the front (low highway miles here and less chance to get pitted out) and decided to install them on the rears. I had SLEE original arms with the boots where the pivoted and they were just rust inhibitors. Thinking these may actually help keep the shafts from getting pitted out and potentially start causing leaks on the rear seals. My vote would be a shield but I didn't find any that wouldn't have to be made to fit so gave in and put them on with the shocks.
They also make it hard to get to the rebound adjustment and the zip tie just pops off but they work I suppose...

not anymore!!:p

With the shocks, I installed without them on the front (low highway miles here and less chance to get pitted out) and decided to install them on the rears. I had SLEE original arms with the boots where the pivoted and they were just rust inhibitors. Thinking these may actually help keep the shafts from getting pitted out and potentially start causing leaks on the rear seals. My vote would be a shield but I didn't find any that wouldn't have to be made to fit so gave in and put them on with the shocks.
They also make it hard to get to the rebound adjustment and the zip tie just pops off but they work I suppose...
Good info. Thanks man. That undercarriage is a work of art BTW

What are your hub to fender measurements? 5" from old stock suspension maybe but not a true 5" of lift when measured properly I'm sure
My hub to fender measurement is 26.625".

Front end is dual battery, ARB, and winch.

I‘ve had 24” center of hub to bottom of flare for 3 years now. No change in height. It is the 144vt 3.5” coil. Running bumper, lights, winch.
8C44943F-F005-49F6-8B9F-6196CB6704BA.jpeg
42408FE1-23B2-4708-9D26-C25D7433DB15.jpeg

My hub to fender measurement is 26.625".

Front end is dual battery, ARB, and winch.
6.5" of lift? Seems way out of whack compared to everyone else!! Are the stock flares still on it, and does it have a body lift?

And what's the new average height?
It's all extremely dependent on how much weight is added, but about 1" taller than Dobinsons list the coils. 3.5 is actually more like 4.5", so 24.5" hub to fender as an example up front.

It's all extremely dependent on how much weight is added, but about 1" taller than Dobinsons list the coils. 3.5 is actually more like 4.5", so 24.5" hub to fender as an example up front.
That was my result as well.

6.5" of lift? Seems way out of whack compared to everyone else!! Are the stock flares still on it, and does it have a body lift?
I just realized that I did not subtract for the 1" body lift. Even still I have a lift 2" over advertised spec with a heavy front end.

From my post on May 19th 2021.
Fresh 3.5" VT coils on the front. 27" hub to fender (no flares). I need to check again but 27" was on the night I installed them.

I reached out to you @crikeymike on June 10th 2021 about contacting Dobinson with the springs lifting more than advertised.
Nothing new really. The new springs are made with high tensile steel and cold wound, and all cold wound springs take longer to settle and break in than hot wound springs do. As long as the appropriate heavy load is on them, they're still made to sit at exactly the same lift height as before and with the same spring rates.

I just went through this whole thread to see if there was any on floor or installed pics of the updated 146vt or 147vt coils. Didnt see any.
I need some pictures for the Compiled thread.
So folks, if anyone has good pics of those coils, please post em up, thanks.

I just went through this whole thread to see if there was any on floor or installed pics of the updated 146vt or 147vt coils. Didnt see any.
I need some pictures for the Compiled thread.
So folks, if anyone has good pics of those coils, please post em up, thanks.

Happy to oblige. Just got my 146 / 147VT Coils and 4" MRA's installed.

Center of hub to lower edge of fender measurements:

LF: 24" , RF: 23.25", LR: 26", RR: 25"

This is with a Slee Shortbus front fender and Comeup 9.5 winch up front / relatively-light rear bumper with spare tire swingout & 35" spare, and a load of all my old suspension parts in the back.

My ride height seems about the same as my previous OME J spring lift. Maybe a tad lower in the front, because I removed a 1" spacer from the front that I had been using previously to level the rig with my J Springs. I may end up reinstalling the 1" spacer, as it seems I have a little more stinkbug going on now with the VT 2.5" coils up front.

Any predictions on whether I can clear 37's with this setup? My fenders are trimmed, and no flares. Wheels are 17X8.5" with -10 offset. I'll be running 37X12.5's.

Thank you for the post.
Do you remember how. How much you trimmed off the fenders?
With 37s & trimmed fenders I would start with lowering bumps 2".
Try swapping the front coils R to L the driverside coil is generally 10mm taller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom