Dobinsons MRA - 3-way adjustable struts/shocks w/resi - 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It'd be nice if suspension suppliers would correlate these numbers to actual center hub to wheel well openings (flare/non flare).
Most importantly though, @crikeymike provided extended and compressed lengths. Too many variations in lifts and rigs these days to have any semblance of apples to apples. For example...I am running the Dobinson 2" tapered coils (sorta like the slinky coils) that require a longer than normal shock to get all the effective down travel they create. My Icon 2.0 (0"-3" lift) shock is about 2" too short fwiw. Always better to measure!

Am I interpreting this correct, with the appropriate bump stop we could run the 4" shocks with the 3" lift and get an extra inch of down travel (Coil wiling) and only loose about 1/2" uptravel?

Am I interpreting this correct, with the appropriate bump stop we could run the 4" shocks with the 3" lift and get an extra inch of down travel (Coil wiling) and only loose about 1/2" uptravel?
Correct, with the correct coils, bump stops and brake lines you can.

The 3" Dobinsons Flexi and VT coils can be run with 4" shocks and the other parts for more travel.

Correct, with the correct coils, bump stops and brake lines you can.

The 3" Dobinsons Flexi and VT coils can be run with 4" shocks and the other parts for more travel.
Crikey! I need some springs for an 80 and a spring conversion for a GX470. PM Incoming.

We're getting closer to the stock arriving.... Hopefully just another 3 weeks or so until the majority of it arrives.

Just got restocked on all 3 different length options front and rear!!

Also, the IMS non-resi and non-adjustable monotubes are also now available in the 6" lift range front and rear, in addition to the 0-3" and 4-5".

Do you have specs for the Front 6'' Shock length now?

Front and Rear for 6" Lift Heights
MRA59-A684 - Front 6" Shocks -(???)
MRA59-A685 - Rear 6" Shocks - 710mm extended, 430mm compressed
Sorry man, not sure why I never put that up there.

MRA59-A684 - Front 6" Shocks - 728mm extended, 432mm compressed

Last edited:
I've had mine a year on the rear and really like them. I tow a very heavy trailer regularly and have airbags installed. I honestly have NOT adjusted them at all since install, I haven't found the tow-specific settings too rough when not towing. It's on my list of things to play with, and most likely thing to fail. That said, my review is somewhat worthless, sorry. I did look at them the other day and thought, geez, I should probably adjust them just to work the mechanisms and I'll probably do that this week since my truck is on the lift now.

What's your feedback on these longer term Dave? Especially compared to some of the other remote reservoir options on the market (i.e. BP51's, Icons, Kings, etc.). MRA's look like good options.
FWIW - I have BP51 on my 200 and Dobinsons MRR/MRA with VT springs from @crikeymike on my 80. Probably not a great comparison since they are different vehicles, but both ride really nice and smooth. I've only had the Dobinsons for a few weeks, but I was surprised how nice they ride - I expected it to be stiffer until I add rear weight. They are for sure easier to adjust than the BP51. I bought the BP51 a year ago. Figured I'd set it and forget it. But, I have them dialed for daily driving and do adjust them some depending on terrain and the load in my rig. Looking forward to many miles on the Dobinsons this summer.

Sorry if I missed it, but is does the MRA have a linear or digressive piston? And how much is the rebuild kit per shock?
All Dobinsons shocks have linear valving.

$95 for the rebuild kit per shock, and $50 labor per shock is the current rate Dobinsons USA charge. I've still not had to sell that service to anyone. Anyone that rebuilds shocks like Fox, King, Icon, etc, could rebuild the MRA's as well.

$95 for the rebuild kit per shock, and $50 labor per shock is the current rate Dobinsons USA charge. I've still not had to sell that service to anyone. Anyone that rebuilds shocks like Fox, King, Icon, etc, could rebuild the MRA's as well.

Mike,
can we purchase a different valve stack from you for the MRRs? Assuming there are different valve stacks.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping for something linear. And I was wondering about the rebuild kit because I couldn’t find one on the website. Is there a part number I could reference?

Thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping for something linear. And I was wondering about the rebuild kit because I couldn’t find one on the website. Is there a part number I could reference?
You would call Dobinsons USA to organize the purchase of those parts, to make sure you get exactly what you want.

Valve stacks are not just sold in a kit or something, each shim is put in or taken out as required. A valve stack is comprised of several different shims

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom