What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (93 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Came out to chunks under my rear wheel yesterday. Looks like something is munching on my spring hats.

1. Find and kill the perpetrator
2. Replace spring hats
4. Profit!!!

Waxed it for the first time in like 7 years. (Last time was before kids)

B6C1089A-D5FC-4867-8761-BC7A2D7ED62C.jpeg

Been sitting on (figuratively) 2 king air bump stops for a few months care of my older son. Been procrastinating since the front dobinson dual rate springs are so bloody tall that removing them requires dropping the front axle a stupid amount. Finally after some research, bought a pair of spring compressors. Didn't need much compressing, since I attached them with the vehicle weight on the coil.

Success, coil removed:

comp.jpg

All ready for the new air bump holder and air bump. Since I had the sway bar disconnected, it was a good chance to also replace the rubber bushing on the axle end (already had replaced the chassis mount ends previously).

ps.jpg

Then repeat on the driver's side and do the sway bar bushing too:

ds.jpeg

All done:

done.jpeg

Then replaced the rubber mount/spacers and hose clamps on the rear radflo shocks. Older son had sent me a King set, so installed those. The DS had previously lost on of the radflo rubber spacers, so good opportunity to put fresh rubber in there and also more appropriately sized hose clamps than the ones that originally shipped.

And replaced the chassis end sway bar bushings too.

rad.jpeg

Few days ago also replaced with new rubber the 2 charcoal canister hoses - they had turned to rock...

Gave the 80 a quick rinse off and parked. Now to enjoy it before any further maintenance/upgrades :)

cheers,
george.
\

Unfortunately Exxon Valdez isn’t hemorrhaging a quart of oil every 60 miles now (was more than a quart every 10 minutes before valve cover gasket replacement). Front crank seal is easy, oil pump seal is painful. Stripped 2 screws despite using the correct bit, hammering it in place, and zipping off with a hex impact. Got lucky with the extraction.
Y’all should see what the undercarriage looks like. I could drive this thing through salt for years and it’ll still be rust free.
F987E1FC-B38D-4A7D-AEC5-B7C0C6EEFAFD.jpeg
EF833CEE-35CF-4B74-BC4C-ED93D93EDDB6.jpeg
6AA9F6A9-DA1E-4E71-8FEA-6F4D7DA02F7A.jpeg

One of the dash vent slats cracked so went ahead and got all four. Cool to see how the bigger middle clock vent has a rubberized matte finish.

This is at least a 🍌🍌🍌 job for me. 😎

View attachment 3014929
Is it a dash removal job to fit those or can they be replaced with the dash in situ?

Went to the airshow which was a pretty good time.

Sitting in stopped traffic on the highway and get blasted by some tweaker with no license or insurance, which was not a good time. "Just moved here" was one thing they told me, which, great. Thanks for coming. Ugh.

View attachment 3015307
View attachment 3015309
View attachment 3015310
Ugh. Hwy 217 is such a meat grinder! Sorry to see this :( And what the hell does just moving to a new area have to do with corn-holing the rig in front of you?! So lame. And BTW, I grew up in Tigard right off of Sattler. Went to Templeton, Fowler, and Twality. Nice little town.

Ugh. Hwy 217 is such a meat grinder! Sorry to see this :( And what the hell does just moving to a new area have to do with corn-holing the rig in front of you?! So lame. And BTW, I grew up in Tigard right off of Sattler. Went to Templeton, Fowler, and Twality. Nice little town.
It's worse than ever with this construction. I think they were trying to establish a sob story (which very well may be real) in order to cashapp me money (lol) and try not to get me to call the police. I did anyway because I've lived here long enough and am just totally jaded to that stuff for better or worse, and an off-duty actually came across us first anyway.

The truck is... annoying but my fiancee was in the passenger seat and I was mostly internally furious that she could've been hurt much worse.

It was just icing on the cake, you hit me while I'm stopped in thick traffic, without ever braking, and of course it's *another* person like this who just moved here.

Honestly it was all probably BS anyway. Insurance said they weren't the owner (of the vehicle they "just bought"), she showed me her ID (not a DL) and mentioned the address was wrong (I thought you just moved here?).

Nice to meet another local. After the police had everything I fired it up to limp it home and a green FJ80 was in the lane next to me, hah.

@PDXTiger man, that sucks. I've been rear-ended twice out here while I was already stopped and had been for more than a few seconds. I haven't rear-ended anyone since I was 18 and being an idiot (also only happened at about 8 mph). I let 1 incident slide completely because I literally couldn't see a mark on my vehicle. I called the PD on the other one and she at least had valid id but no insurance.

I finally finished my atv ramp roofrack and clamped it on.
It started life as a yutrax tx108 which I modified by cutting out some bars over the sunroof and narrowing it a little so it would fit between the mule gutter towers. A friend had a broken tundra bedcover and the aluminum supports in it became the black top rails of the rack. I also welded on some Nissan uilititrack rails for front and rear tie down points. I have the Nissan cleats that fit the rails and also made some tie down loops with eye bolts and unistrut nuts and washers. Then I modified the mule towers so they could be adjusted lower to the roof. The factory rack was removed but the roof ribs are still there. The atv ramp rack sits about 1/2” above them.

It weighs about 68lbs without the tie downs installed but with the single row lightbar.

I should have just bought a Bowfin rack. I take too long to make stuff.

View attachment 2879025

View attachment 2879026
Started the extremely slow process of adding a wind fairing to the rack. I ended up moving the rack rearward an inch or two to slope the fairing to match the windshield. Ordered some black 1/4” abs from TAP plastics. Made some brackets. Temporarily mounted for fitment. Then ran out of weekend time. All I have to do is bolt it up and trim excess. Maybe I’ll finish this year.

0A26E87F-7116-4994-AC2B-DB3321338F53.jpeg

F5A7541E-AD12-493F-B2C2-DF1F276B2818.jpeg

I ran into the guy i recently bought my 97 fzj80 from at the store and he said he has some parts for me, only parts he had was my missing battery hold down (good bye ratchet strap) and then he asked if i wanted the trailer he hauled with it! Of course i did. Quick question, did the 80 series have some factory trailer plug or are they all the flat 4 after market units? Mines a flat 4 plug and needs to be redone

33689049-B1F9-463B-9997-E9F63AD06812.jpeg

I ran into the guy i recently bought my 97 fzj80 from at the store and he said he has some parts for me, only parts he had was my missing battery hold down (good bye ratchet strap) and then he asked if i wanted the trailer he hauled with it! Of course i did. Quick question, did the 80 series have some factory trailer plug or are they all the flat 4 after market units? Mines a flat 4 plug and needs to be redone

View attachment 3015833
Nice score on the trailer!

All the trailer plugs I've ever seen on 80s are port/dealer/owner installed.

Went camping. Lots of good things happened. She likes the awning, shower, and fridge. She committed to dispersed camping in the future. And the big issue was that she only wishes there was a way to get cold drinks without having to stop and get in the back....i tried my best to hide my s*** eating grin and pretend like I was perplexed but that I'd look into a solution 😂

Screenshot_20220522-200038.png

PXL_20220521_030750470.jpg

PXL_20220520_223241671.jpg

drove it. here in my part of VA, the temps shot up to high 90's and humid AF

• A/C works great. Didn't get vent temps or have time to hook up my gauges to check pressures but happy w/ the temps
  • Engine temps cruising at 60mph w/ AC on hovered between 195-203 F. for reference, my modern BMW's sit ~205 F.
  • Throttle started to stick. in D the idle was fine, but noticed the trans acting a little rough when pulling up to or away from a stop light. Dropped into N and the idle shot up to 2-3k and stayed there until i put it back in D, or pulled back on the pedal or throttle body directly. Shot some lube into it and it is better. New accelerator cable on order, $135
  • Went to lower the rear hatch, and the handle or latch cracked at the knurled portion. New latch on order, $13
  • While messing w/ the latch, I remembered my rear defroster did nothing this winter. Pulled both connectors and attached my DMM; 12V across the harness connectors w/ the switch on. Leads attached to the D and P side grid; no continuity at all. So all of my grids are compromised? Dangit. Will further throubleshoot per the FSM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom