2H vs. 3B engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So if the early 2H's were sleeved then Toyota did cheap out on the later ones.

They also deleted a superb centrifugal oil spinner/filter on later 2Hs as well.. the buggers.

I vote 3B. In spite of its slow nature, it has key features that make it superior to the 2H, for example, sleeved cylinders are featured on the 3B allowing you to rebuild many times as it was originally produced by Hino/Diahatsu as a industrial engine used for for forklifts and coaster busses… 2H isn’t sleeved and can only be bored once. 3B also features oil cooling jets, allowing it to take a small amount of turbo boost to build more power. However both engines will get similar fuel milage and the 2H creates more power/torque, don’t froget about the lovely diesel sound either!😍 I know this post is probably irrelevant now, but I’m new to this “diesel thing” and would share my thoughts for fun. Not like many of you will see this anyways.

2H pre 1984 are sleeved bores. Like 3B. They turbo well. Many have done it. @Tapage is a great example as are many Aussie’s. You hear a lot about overheating. Not with a mild boost which is all they need.

What a shame, why would Toyota down grade there engine? Doesn’t sound like something they would do. Not sure why they didn’t do that with the 3B, perhaps there were planning to use the engine in other applications that needed sleeves.

2H were used in forklifts as well. Another source for parts.

Parts for the 3B are incredibly hard to get where I am. I need to travel to a import shop and order them here, it’s 5 hours away. I’m sure the 2H parts availability is diminishing as well. Either way, both are just good old diesels. Much better than todays diesels for sure, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either. However what is Important, is we don’t give up on these old things, so my future kids can be cruisin’ around just like me!

I could have bought a 2H a while ago, (I could technically still buy it now) but it’s from a 1988. For me, I thought having piston cooling jets and sleeved cylinders was the coolest thing in the world for a civilian vehicle. So I had to play the patience game and wait for months and months for a 3B to pop up. Here I am and no regrets, all I needed was just a little patience! lol.
Thank you guys for opening my eyes up to the 2H. I learned some stuff about it today, and might just have to pick up a early model version at some point, just so my 3B doesn’t doesn’t get too lonely!

2H pre 1984 are sleeved bores. Like 3B. They turbo well. Many have done it. @Tapage is a great example as are many Aussie’s. You hear a lot about overheating. Not with a mild boost which is all they need.

Hello .. !!!

I've been dealing with my lovely 2H for more than 20 years .. Tencha it's boosted about 14 PSI since 2006 ..

Tapage - that is awesome. Does anyone know what year Toyota started the H series engines? I think the rub for Canadians is that the 2H wasn't imported to Canada until 1985 - maybe, in retrospect, a conspiracy to sent the cheaper 2H's to Canada - lol. So gimme a 60 if you can find a 1984 or earlier rust out with a complete power train cheap then grab it - but. it might be pretty rare.

I've only seen Canadian HJ60's dating 1986 and 1987. 1988 would likely be a Japanese import.
Also the newer 2Hs seem to be easier to find parts for...

If anybody wants to possibly buy a rotten 2H in Vancouver area. I know a guy who I can bug.

wait till you drive it...
here we go again ! sheesh, like they say - options are like axeholes - everybody's got one! I've got 2 - 3FE 60's, 2 - 2H 60's and multiple 3B 60's. Those 3FEs are so obsolete with today's wonderful fuel prices! Talking to a friend last week who told me his fuel mileage on his 3FE he is currently driving. If I drove that daily vs my current 3B I figure about $500/ month more - you know $6000/ year! I thought about putting a 5 speed behind one of my 3FE's for fun - I would enjoy it for about 1 day then the fuel suck would drive me crazy. The oil companies would like me a lot more though - lol.

gimme a 60 - glad you got a chance to drive a 3B. Not so bad is it? I just shake my head when I think about these posts when I daily drive my 3B. Never any problem keeping up with traffic. But no surplus power for trying to beat someone else to the next light. WTF - I'm driving a landcruiser not a corvette!

here we go again ! sheesh, like they say - options are like axeholes - everybody's got one! I've got 2 - 3FE 60's, 2 - 2H 60's and multiple 3B 60's. Those 3FEs are so obsolete with today's wonderful fuel prices! Talking to a friend last week who told me his fuel mileage on his 3FE he is currently driving. If I drove that daily vs my current 3B I figure about $500/ month more - you know $6000/ year! I thought about putting a 5 speed behind one of my 3FE's for fun - I would enjoy it for about 1 day then the fuel suck would drive me crazy. The oil companies would like me a lot more though - lol.

gimme a 60 - glad you got a chance to drive a 3B. Not so bad is it? I just shake my head when I think about these posts when I daily drive my 3B. Never any problem keeping up with traffic. But no surplus power for trying to beat someone else to the next light. WTF - I'm driving a landcruiser not a corvette!

I need/trying to put this topic to rest, it’s not going anywhere good.

A while ago, I drove a naturally aspirated BJ 60 with 300,000KM. We started it up, I was SHOCKED about how much the damn thing rattled. The shifter shook, the dashboard rattled, and the steering wheel vibrated like a hyperactive toddler on gummy worms. The truck felt like it was alive, it wanted me to buy it, it was begging me to test drive it. I DID, ups and downs left and rights, bounces and bumps and all. I loved it, I have never been so connected to a inanimate object ever before. At the time, I was driving my 1993 Toyota pickup, the BJ did not feel much slower. There is just something charming about having the slowest vehicle on the road. It did not feel like like it was impossible to drive, it felt fine, something cool about shifting though the short gears on a old diesel 4x4. A feeling I just never got from my Toyota pickup.

However, my parents would not let me buy it. They called it a “bio hazard” and they were right. It was too rusty, and overrun by small woodland creatures. If Todays fuel prices were dirt cheap, I would still be doing this swap. My personal driving experience with my 62 was much worse that BJ experience. Even though my FJ62 has a rebuilt drive terrain, it’s slow, clunky, and shifts harsh. I don’t have the same connection to that has I had with the BJ. I don’t understand why you guys here on mud think the 3B is a bad power plant. For me, it is great, and a much more suitable option for me. For those of you who are familiar with me and my plans. You know I asked for opinions. Lots of you say to buy a 1HZ or a 12HT I can not afford that. But I can afford a 3B and I LOVE it.

P.S I have driven family members Teslas, and Corvettes. Nothing is more fun for me to drive than my old Landcruiser.

C25F3EF1-C32E-4917-A761-DC82634C4158.jpeg

Last edited:

A while ago, I drove a naturally aspirated BJ 60 with 300,000KM. We started it up, I was SHOCKED about how much the damn thing rattled. The shifter shook, the dashboard rattled, and the steering wheel vibrated like a hyperactive toddler on gummy worms. The truck felt like it was alive, it wanted me to buy it, it was begging me to test drive it. I DID, ups and downs left and rights, bounces and bumps and all. I loved it, I have never been so connected to a inanimate object ever before. At the time, I was driving my 1993 Toyota pickup, the BJ did not feel much slower. There is just something charming about having the slowest vehicle on the road. It did not feel like like it was impossible to drive, it felt fine, something cool about shifting though the short gears on a old diesel 4x4. A feeling I just never got from my Toyota pickup.

However, my parents would not let me buy it. They called it a “bio hazard” and they were right. It was too rusty, and overrun by small woodland creatures. Even if Todays fuel prices were dirt cheap, I would still be doing this swap. My personal driving experience with my 62 was much worse that BJ experience. Even though my FJ62 has a rebuilt drive terrain, it’s slow, clunky, and shifts un smooth. I don’t have the same connection to that has I had with the BJ. I don’t understand why you guys here on mud think the 3B is a bad power plant. For me, it is great, and a much more suitable option for me. For those of you who are familiar with me and my plans. You know I asked for opinions. Lots of you say to buy a 1HZ or a 12HT I can not afford that. But I can afford a 3B and I LOVE it.

P.S I have driven family members Teslas, and Corvettes. Nothing is more fun for me to drive than my old Landcruiser.

View attachment 3014931
It's a fine powerplant below 60mph and really great off road. .....I am now editing my post for those who have not driven but may be considering a 3B. A naturally aspirated 3b does not have enough power to safely pass cars on a busy 2 lane highway at speeds over 45mph.

Last edited:
It's a fine powerplant below 60mph and really great off road. .....I am now editing my post for those who have not driven but may be considering a 3B. A naturally aspirated 3b does not have enough power to safely pass cars on a busy 2 lane highway at speeds over 45mph.
Yea I won’t lie, it doesn’t have enough power to haul ass.

However, my parents would not let me buy it. They called it a “bio hazard” and they were right. It was too rusty, and overrun by small woodland creatures. If Todays fuel prices were dirt cheap, I would still be doing this swap. My personal driving experience with my 62 was much worse that BJ experience. Even though my FJ62 has a rebuilt drive terrain, it’s slow, clunky, and shifts harsh. I don’t have the same connection to that has I had with the BJ. I don’t understand why you guys here on mud think the 3B is a bad power plant. For me, it is great, and a much more suitable option for me. For those of you who are familiar with me and my plans. You know I asked for opinions. Lots of you say to buy a 1HZ or a 12HT I can not afford that. But I can afford a 3B and I LOVE it.

View attachment 3014931
I love this comment, I feel the same when I drive my troopy bj45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom