Upgrading HZJ80 to HZJ85 -w/ ex 105's engine & axles. My ultimate HZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow what a nice build. I have been eyeing the same route as yours going to 5 holes conversion from 105, only reason is coz I wanna run the 5 spoke steel wheel 16x6.5 😆 But for now i’m running 16x7 steel wheels from tacoma that are slight similar design on 105 5 spoke steel wheel. Is it expensive to do the conversion from 6 to 5 holes? What are the things needs to change? Mine is same as yours but a ‘94 rare gcc spec hzj80.

Wow what a nice build. I have been eyeing the same route as yours going to 5 holes conversion from 105, only reason is coz I wanna run the 5 spoke steel wheel 16x6.5 😆 But for now i’m running 16x7 steel wheels from tacoma that are slight similar design on 105 5 spoke steel wheel. Is it expensive to do the conversion from 6 to 5 holes? What are the things needs to change? Mine is same as yours but a ‘94 rare gcc spec hzj80.
Hi Mate,

I don't know why that i always drools everytime i see latest 70series with the split rims and 5 studs, with the sound of the slooooow 1HZ engine.

And when the opportunity come, the seller were ONLY asking $1000 to swap my old axle to his mint 105's axle, because he wanted 6 studs, i just grabbed it immediately worrying he might change his mind.

Hahaha...

Now i have all the things i drooled over, into the 80.
Got the Axles, Split rims, and even a fresh engine from 2003 105s wirh just 100k kms.
Couldn't be happier.

Whole axle housing, and everything in it from 105 just go in, without any drama at all.

Cheers,
Felix

Do you plan to remove the flares? That’s a nice looking build right there man. Bp51, 5 holes conversion, steelies, 255s, oh man 😎 Can you post more pics of this beast in different angles, I just wanna see how nice it sits.
Yes, will remove flares, and make it look like this:

Screenshot_20220222-193707_Instagram.jpg

I started to hunt the fender mirrors too....

I will surely post more photos soon

Hi Mate,

I don't know why that i always drools everytime i see latest 70series with the split rims and 5 studs, with the sound of the slooooow 1HZ engine.

And when the opportunity come, the seller were ONLY asking $1000 to swap my old axle to his mint 105's axle, because he wanted 6 studs, i just grabbed it immediately worrying he might change his mind.

Hahaha...

Now i have all the things i drooled over, into the 80.
Got the Axles, Split rims, and even a fresh engine from 2003 105s wirh just 100k kms.
Couldn't be happier.

Whole axle housing, and everything in it from 105 just go in, without any drama at all.

Cheers,
Felix
Haha you got a unique build on an 80. 👏
1hz’s are bulletproof and just right for steady driving, and less turbo problem.

That’s a nice deal right there. So you swapped the whole axle assembly right? How is it running now compared before?

Ah so you changed your engine also for a fresh one. That’s great.

View attachment 2933482

View attachment 2933482

Awesome man. I will follow your build and hopefully I can do the conversion too in the future. Looking forward to see more updates. 😎

Haha you got a unique build on an 80. 👏
1hz’s are bulletproof and just right for steady driving, and less turbo problem.

That’s a nice deal right there. So you swapped the whole axle assembly right? How is it running now compared before?

Ah so you changed your engine also for a fresh one. That’s great.
It is running much better i guess.
1. Probably due to my old axle assembly has loosen a little vs better diff-axle shimming & setting due to lesser kms usage on the 105.
2. I installed 33" tyre immediately after i swapped the whole axle, i expect it will be more lazy due to bigger tyres, but surprisingly it pulls even better because of the higher diff ratio from the 105
3. Fresh brakes system from the 105, gives better stopping power.

Overall, i feel it drives better, and i am happy with this mod.

Cool! I think the 105 axles had better housings with stronger brackets as well: definitely an upgrade!

It'd be cool to see some pictures of the truck in action over there. How are the roads in Cambodia?

Cool! I think the 105 axles had better housings with stronger brackets as well: definitely an upgrade!

It'd be cool to see some pictures of the truck in action over there. How are the roads in Cambodia?
I am happy to upgrade my 80 with much younger parts from the 105.
It feels different now.

Roads in Cambodia are mixes of tarmac, gravels and red soils.

Last edited:
What was the original color, dark green or blue??

S3624 might look good, somewhere between Marlin Blue and Nightshadow Pearl.

What was the original color, dark green or blue??

S3624 might look good, somewhere between Marlin Blue and Nightshadow Pearl.
Original color is dark blue.

Was looking at Cavalry Blue, somewhere near the S3624 too...

I have a soft spot for flareless 80s. Love the 5 lug conversion. did you just change the hubs or 105 complete axles?

the 105 axles are 4:30 gears. the 80 should be 4:11

I have a soft spot for flareless 80s. Love the 5 lug conversion. did you just change the hubs or 105 complete axles?

the 105 axles are 4:30 gears. the 80 should be 4:11
Yes i did swap the whole axle front and rear, no drama, fit ike a glove....

You are right, the higher diff ratio from 105 compensate the 33"tires, and it just drives very nice...

I love this upgrade.
Just not much wheel options for it, but i am very happy with the split rims ex HZJ79 and skinny tires of 255/85R16.

2 inches lift coming soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom