any after market 3b heads ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you trying to get a upgraded head? I personally wouldn’t know if the china ones are good. However if you need a head, I wouldn’t go aftermarket, I would go OEM and find a dead 3B and pull the head, have it magnafluxed and machined. That’s just my personal opinion.

Did you get your head checked after your overheating issues?
I haven't checked it but I have another 3b that may need a head and wondering if they are now hard to come by ?
If I end up needing two then I will have to keep my eyes open. Other parts are available and machining is not an option with the 3b head, once it's gone it's gone and no repairing can be done according to other sources.

I love the 3B but, I can’t find parts for mine at all. Better get used to your aftermarket parts vendor.

I feel lucky then my 3B only has 201k on it now. I'll be looking for others to stockpile parts haha. 12ht would be best swap really

Low KM 3Bs don’t exist lol. 201k is extremely low. mines got 320,000 km and runs good.

I feel lucky then my 3B only has 201k on it now. I'll be looking for others to stockpile parts haha. 12ht would be best swap really
12ht may be hard to find and then you need to know if they still make parts for it. But hey if you only have 200,000km on it chances are it will last you the next 30 years when they are the million km motor !

Would sourcing a newer b model engine not be more worthwhile? I love my 3b’s. They have taken us to some cool spots and have been super reliable. But if they go I’m getting a newer model. 15b or something. I’ll at least look into that option instead of spending thousands on an obsolete lump.

Mine have 205 and 175. They do exist. I have a friend with over 800k on one. There’s a bj70 in town here with 670 as well.

Rehabilitating used 3B heads is probably going to end in tears. They are all cracked and have been for years..

Allhead Australia used to sell a good high-nickel aftermarket head but it doesn't show up on their website anymore even though the B, 2B and 13BT does. Might be worth checking with them.

I tear down a 3B unknown km, I’m near Quebec, Canada. The BJ60 had a Guatemala visa on windshield. Evidence that the 3B was open in the past. It is 1985 bloc and head finish with xxx10. I think they try to gain some power by lighting the crankshaft, they repair the head and install (I think) 2l pre cups and 2l injectors.
With a good eye we could see the weld repair between valve and around precups. The precup only start to show some crack but the head was fine. And they ran a couple km with it, including me when I swap this 3B to work on mine.

I did send my 3B head in a fusion welding shop and it is like brand new.
You can give a call to Dan 4wheelAuto, he send head to a shop like that.

I then decide to not recreate the recess, dimple? Beteeen the valve. Still today, I do not have a clear understanding of the purpose for these recess. I know that it is less thick there….

089E8775-68AD-4DFD-BC24-3267B7D3B577.png

An Australian company buys in blank heads from China, checks them and then finishes them off. I forget their name.

The biggest challenge I faced when I went through this is that it is incredibly difficult to find the right head in China. It seems to me there are 3 versions at least for the 3B there is an early model that is readily available. There is a larger exhaust valve model that is non-existent, and then there is the late model 3B-II version which is a totally different head.

I needed the larger exhaust valve version and thought about importing a few to see if they could be machined out with a larger exhaust valve but the fear of a quality casting lead me to go down the route of having the head repaired by sending it out and welded then re-machined. Either way I think the larger valve head would be the way to go if you are going to the cost and efforts to rebuild the 3B.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with this (Cylinder Head 3B Large valve 08/1980-06/1988 [11101-59096 / 11101-58013] - $1,428.90 : CruiserParts, The best place for Land Cruiser Parts! - https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33640) and try it out. At the time it seemed expensive but after the welding and machining bills it was not far away. I do suspect it is just a Chinese head that has been machined larger. I wish they explained their quality assurance on the item a bit better to know they are looking for casting issues and inspire more confidence.

I never seen a 3B II but I guess this late version head should sit on a 3B.
Then a custom exhaust manifold is needed or 14b (I think) and need of the appropriate valve cover (around instead center).

This is what I put in my 3BII: 323.34US $ 26% OFF|3B New Cylinder Head 11101 58050 11101 58051 For TOYOTA Dyna 200 Coaster LandCruiser Toyo ace 3431cc 3.4L D L4 102MM 1995 99|Cylinder Head| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832659300779.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.72881802wf9NTf&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Right now It's about $650 total with DHL to your door in less than 2 weeks. I ordered mine just before COVID happened and it took 6 weeks due to lockdowns in China. I had to clean up some excess casting material in the valve pockets to unshroud the valves with a die grinder. Took about 30 min. It appears the use the same mold for 3b heads in various application as there is extra material if you have a smaller valve engine(forklift?). It would have ran fine with shrouded valves, but probably less power. No head issues in the 15-20K miles over the past 2 years.

I think the stateside sellers of new 3B heads are buying from China as well. Inspect the product and stock it stateside and you can up the price. I found a used 3B head in a salvage yard in NJ for about the same price, but I decided taking a chance on made in China/aliexpress was about even with chance of the used head being good.

I have a 3BII, but I think you could fine one for your application. Buying on Ali-express is pretty much as smooth as buying on Ebay. I've only bought one head and it's fine so I can't confirm or deny the reputation of made in China being poor quality. It worked for me.

I look at that add and the shipping time. It looks like a "drop ship" from China. I saw those with similar prices. I went to the source and it worked out for me.
What source did you go with? Are you currently running a cylinder head from a Chinese manufacturer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom