Catalytic Converter Temp Probe - Can I remove it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 87 FJ60 the catalytic converter temperature probe has been tie wrapped to the parking brake cable for the last 25 years or so (hanging in the breeze, not in the cat).
Can I disconnect it without affecting vehicle performance or emissions? I am in California so I get tested every two years. Does it provide feedback to the vehicle "computer?"
Thx - Paul M

Yes, you can remove it. Do you have an aftermarket CAT?

It does provide feedback to the 'Emissions Computer' when the CAT is too hot, but the new OBD2 CATs required in Calif are more efficient and free-flowing and generally do not overheat. The old big brick CAT could.

Don't cut the wires. There's a connector under the E-brake boot (or carpet) that you can disconnect and pull the cable stub through the grommet in the floor.

If you don't want to keep the thermosensor, I will buy it from you. :D

cheers.

don't you need it to pass your visual inspection? It is part of the emissions system. So why is it not installed in the cat? Is it a replacement cat without the port?

As spike says disconnect the wire, plug the hole in the floor with a solid grommet and put the thermosensor away in a safe place. You or someone else may need it some day.

The FJ60 has passed inspection at least 12 times with it dangling in space. I will remove it and hang on to it for now... The FJ60 has an aftermarket cat. Thanks!

It's not needed for visual - It doesn't show up on the Smog Tech's computer screen as components they need to verify installed. I've watched and asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom