My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An old floor that has aged 28 days can be 5 inches thick but if you pour a new floor they say 12 inches thick. I am sure some engineer might be able to explain this but I really thing it is overkill to go 12 inches thick and likely a cya thing. Mine will be a long 24 inch wide 8 inch deep pad that spans the width of the two legs.
Actually an old floor can be 4.25" thick which is consistent with Rotary lifts (or maybe theirs is 4.5"?).

They are not saying a "new" floor needs to be 12" thick. A new floor designed and installed per the "existing" floor specs is fine. What they are referencing is a situation where an existing slab doesn't meet the minimum requirements. In that case they have likely optimized the amount of area you need to cut out and replace with the additional thickness. They are also not counting on any help from the existing slab, thus the additional thickness.

Good luck with the pour. My advice is to keep it wet for at least a week and preferably two. By wet I mean like sprinklers running on it. That will keep shrinkage cracks to a minimum.

Last edited:
@Rigger
Funny you say all that. The guys were here before I left for work and we had a talk. Concrete poured.
Mrs Heifer and I went out there and have no idea where the extra is. I will have to talk to the contractor and see what he did. He said he was going to measure it to ensure it was in line with the door and where it needed to be blahblah but there is not a mark on the ledger or anything. So it goes. :meh: The heaviest thing I will lift is the hundo.
But the concrete is poured. I am to happy with the progress to worry about it.
IMG-20220504-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220504-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20220504-WA0003.jpg

He did a 1 inch drop to the exhisting slab. The side door may not be used much but I plan to grade that properly and put some gravel down.
I am happy and excited.

Actually an old floor can be 4.25" thick which is consistent with Rotary lifts (or maybe there's is 4.5"?).

They are not saying a "new" floor needs to be 12" thick. A new floor designed and installed per the "existing" floor specs is fine. What they are referencing is a situation where an existing slab doesn't meet the minimum requirements. In that case they have likely optimized the amount of area you need to cut out and replace with the additional thickness. They are also not counting on any help from the existing slab, thus the additional thickness.

Good luck with the pour. My advice is to keep it wet for at least a week and preferably two. By wet I mean like sprinklers running on it. That will keep shrinkage cracks to a minimum.
We are on that. Know that from previous pours but I do appreciate all the advice (even if it is from an Auburn guy :lol: ) We had planned to spray it down in the am before work and pm after for a week or more

That thing is shaping up nice. Good for you! New concrete flatwork is one of the most satisfying things ever!

Keep on keepin' on!

Great progress HH!

:popcorn:

Looking good.

Are you doing control cuts or did the concrete people place joints in the pour? I only ask because I remember watching in horror as the first slab I poured popped and banged with cracks after a few days of sprinklers running on it 24/7. 2nd slab I did I poured and finished myself. I made the control cuts about 12 hours after the pour and there was one spot where I was making a 40' cut and at about the 30' mark the slab cracked and the crack shot straight ahead of where I was cutting.

A masonry blade set about 3/4" deep in a skilsaw does a great job.

Looking good.

Are you doing control cuts or did the concrete people place joints in the pour? I only ask because I remember watching in horror as the first slab I poured popped and banged with cracks after a few days of sprinklers running on it 24/7. 2nd slab I did I poured and finished myself. I made the control cuts about 12 hours after the pour and there was one spot where I was making a 40' cut and at about the 30' mark the slab cracked and the crack shot straight ahead of where I was cutting.

A masonry blade set about 3/4" deep in a skilsaw does a great job.
The wife and I have been talking about this. It definitely needs relief cuts. @PIP sounds like I need to cut those sooner than later? Concrete is fine to walk on now so I could do it this weekend.
@BMThiker if he put it where he said he was I should be able to find it with a tape measure.
But I need a gprs to come to the house regarding my septic. It was never mapped.

Also, it has rained the past two days so the slab has stayed pretty damp.

Last edited:
The wife and I have been talking about this. It definitely needs relief cuts. @PIP sounds like I need to cut those sooner than later? Concrete is fine to walk on now so I could do it this weekend.
@BMThiker if he put it where he said he was I should be able to find it with a tape measure.
But I need a gprs to come to the house regarding my septic. It was never mapped.

Also, it has rained the past two days so the slab has stayed pretty damp.
Yes, cut it immediately.

You normally cut control joints the next morning (if using a saw) but never days later. I always have the finishing guys use their groover to make the joints. Looks much better in my opinion than a saw cut and they can usually do it before they leave.

I only ask because I remember watching in horror as the first slab I poured popped and banged with cracks after a few days of sprinklers running on it 24/7.
Sounds like they put too much water in the mix.

Sounds like they put too much water in the mix.

They did when they first started. The pump truck didn't get cleaned out well enough the night before so they got a little carried away with the water in the 1st 10 yards and cranked the pump pressure way into the red until it blew out the stuck chunks. The following 50 yards were all proper slump.

Very cool, HH!

I expected the guys yesterday to finish framing the leanto and porch but they were a no-show. Should only be 3 or 4 days of work left max.

Here is the latest. It is really coming together. They will be here tomorrow afternoon after pouring concrete on a small job to continue the roof.

20220518_175715.jpg
20220518_175722.jpg
20220518_175807.jpg
20220518_175838.jpg
20220518_175918.jpg

Under roof.
20220520_131157.jpg

Builder says if we get rain next week he will be here to put in doors and windows. If there is not we will not see him as he has some other stuff going on that need the attention of the good weather.

Pray for rain in NW GA!

Looking good HH! I know you’re getting excited about your shop progress.

Looking good HH! I know you’re getting excited about your shop progress.
Totally. Once I saw the leanto on it I was giddy. I am dying for them to finish so I can get it scheduled for spray foam.

Last edited:
Update - Nothing to update. Rained all week off and on and the contractor was no-show. So much for "if it rains we will put in your doors."
Patience is a virtue right? Upside? It delays the second big check a few more weeks I guess.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend and remember those who have given all for our freedoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom