Builds 1995 full resto build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roof rack already gone, just need to weld up the holes.

A5AB7BA2-AA75-4AAF-80D2-D30659AEA556.jpeg

Cheers

Roof rack already gone, just need to weld up the holes.

View attachment 3008108

Cheers
Ah, my mistake; that last shot, the body looks so much better than mine, I thought it was already painted! Should have blown it up for a closer look... :rolleyes:

IIRC, Jonathan Ward said the powder coat he uses on ICON Cruisers is 20x more resistant to scratches than paint. So there's that.
I've worked on one of their early trucks with PC frame. It has not aged well and needs to be completely blasted and re-done.

I've worked on one of their early trucks with PC frame. It has not aged well and needs to be completely blasted and re-done.
Frame or chassis redone? Was this with the zinc undercoat? What do you think the issue was? IIRC, one downside to powder coat is, if the body does get dinged up, you have to remove the body from the frame to fix it.

This is one of the reasons I went with paint on my frame-off. Powder is easy to **** up and it's usually after assembly (or a few trail runs) before it can be noticed. Drag most anything over rocks and it'll need touching up.

Looks great in promotional pictures trying to sell $500k rigs though. The "20x more resistant" sounds like marketing jargon. That said, they do build very nice vehicles.

question: are you going a different color? I just painted mine back the OEM color and was educated on the theory with paint and "layering".

Just curious as to why all the way to bare metal. Looking good. Thanks!

question: are you going a different color? I just painted mine back the OEM color and was educated on the theory with paint and "layering".

Just curious as to why all the way to bare metal. Looking good. Thanks!

Yes, staying 6M1.

It had been painted once before and it was a poor quality job. We discussed options and decided for best results go to bare metal. We want this to last 20+yrs.

Cheers

MIne's been painted twice. I'll have to do this the next time.

@SNLC @cruiserdan

I wanted to ask about a comment made on the first page of the thread where you stated if a head didn't have a VIN tag, it was a replacement head. How have you verified this? My Jan 1995 is a two owner model I bought in 2004. I have no reason to believe that any engine work has ever been done on it, although I can't prove that, and it has no VIN tag. My son has a Jul 1995 that also has no VIN tag, and I believe it's the original head as well.

Just trying to sort out what may or may not have been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom