1hdt fuel solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a 1hdt swapped into a 1989 fj62. that matters because its an all 12v system.

last week was going through a drive through and had to shut it off to hear the kid on the other end. went to restart it and it won’t go! i just bumped it which is normally all i needed to do to get it running. i’d didn’t fire so i started to crank it. starter is turning things over just fine but it seems there’s no fuel. i had to get a push out to the parking lot where i figured i’d see if bumping it blew a fuse. all fuses good. now what! well low and behold it fired and i drove it home.

two days later i went to move it out of the garage to change over winter tires on my wife’s van and same deal but this time i can’t get it going. again still loads of starter but no fuel. i have tested this wire (brown one has 12v when ignition is on). i’m assuming that’s the wire to the solenoid. the blue one has nothing. the third black one i believe is tech sensor but it’s not connected to anything at this point.
1DB3C5DD-18CB-4CB2-838B-CB35DFABC8BA.jpeg

dose this sound like a bad solenoid on my injection pump? what’s the next step in testing it?

slight update and change of direction.

i have 1/8 of a tank of fuel. i decided to fill it up and prime the pump. now it runs! wtf! i’ve always been able to take it down to low fuel with no problems (i’m actually testing my economy with freshly adjusted valves so wanted to push it a little to see how far i can go on a tank). maybe i’ve got something wrong with my fuel sender? 🤷‍♂️. guess it shows my solenoid is ok. it’s something upstream from there in my fuel system that’s gone funny. i’ll keep posted to see if i can figure it out or if it keeps happening

i put a pickup and new sender in the fj62 tank. i know the float will read diesel differently than gas by a bit but i’ve always been able to go to empty before. i’ve never run out of fuel and i’ve had about 100 000km on it since the swap

no in tank pump. just stock gas parts but i think i put a pickup screen from a bj60 on (can’t remember for sure though)

Last edited:
Hey Franklin

I've been meaning to get in touch (been really busy!) since I saw you in front of Bike Doc back in March. So there is a hand primer pump? If it started right after priming up then maybe your are looking at a bleed down air leak. Ask me how I know - I've had a batch of a time last little while with mine over same problem. Finally got it solved and now it is running wonderfully!
Danny

yeah the 1hdt fuel filter has a primer pump built in. i’ll keep an eye and see if it’s still doing it with a full tank.

If you have a bleed screw up at the filter you should see air bubbles when you first crack it open if that is the problem

dang it i went to start it today again with 1/2 tank and no joy. i must have an air leak somewhere i’m loosing my prime

main suspects to start:

- the primer pump itself - it should be tight on the o-rings inside the cylinder - when it is primed up it should be hard to push down - if diesel can leak by under load then air can leak back in

- is there a rubber return line from the injectors back to the pump - this little basxxxd can be a silent problem

- do you have banjo fittings on the hoses around the pump? - if so they can fail and leak air over time - if so I can tell you how to solve the problem

also try running it with the fuel cap loose - if you get a vacuum in the tank it will cause problems as well

k so i can’t get the primer to firm up even after like 60 pumps. is this likely a primer issue then? are they rebuildable or is this a buy an new one item?
image.jpg

it’s only like 5 years old

…and yea i see som strange plumbing. i should correct that to take two photo tail leak points out. not sure why it was installed like that! 🤷‍♂️

any chance the leak could be from the overflow system? i know that if i fill up real full i have a fuel leak for a bit until i drain the tank a little. i wonder if those hoses weren’t replaced with diesel compatible ones and are now failing. i want to replace them anyway but i want to get it running first.

i wouldn’t think they would really be involved as it’s the main line from tank to filter that needs to be sealed but i may be missing something in how that overflow system works

Last edited:
could definitely be the hand pump - as far as I can tell they are not rebuildable. If there is some leak in the line before the hand pump the maybe it is just sucking air if pressure can't be built up. If the overflow from the injectors goes back the the main fuel pump - that can definitely be an issue area

on the overflow system - to clarify - on mine it is a simple return directly back to the main fuel pump. So if there is an invisible crack in the rubber - the vacuum could suck air back into the pump

not quite sure about the overflow system and how it works on your truck. Consider it from this perspective - if there is any way that a vacuum situation could occur in the tank then when you shut the truck down then fuel could be sucked back into the tank drawing air from wherever into the lines. That is why I suggested leaving the fuel cap loose so a vacuum does not occur

i can’t even get it to run so definitely not creating vacuum. i think it’s my primer as i can pump all i want and it never firms up. going to change that out first and see where i’m at. clearly it’s not working anyway

The vacuum would have happened before when it was running ( if that's the problem ) then you shut it down and the tank vacuum draws in air from somewhere in the line until inside of tank air pressure and outside air pressure equalizes then you have air in your line with no vac in tank. Then vac can start when you run it again. So keep fuel cap loose thru whole process.

I wouldn't assume that the prime pump is toast just yet.

Just make sure that there is no leak ( or blockage) in the line between the tank and the hand pump. If there is a leak ( or blockage) then the hand pump can't prime till it gets hard to pump (normally would have to be a pretty big leak for this to happen - but you can't always see it). You could detach the line just before the prime pump and make sure that the fuel is flowing to it and then re-connect and try pumping it. I'm assuming you also have a bleed screw at the top of the filter. It should work in tandem with the prime pump - that air has to be released out of the line somewhere. So confirm fuel flow to the hand pump then crack open the bleed screw to release air bubbles and pump until no air and then steady fuel and close - I use a small pop bottle or such to collect fuel from bleed screw. If you've done all this and you can't hand pump the fuel up to the bleed screw and the hand pump doesn't get hard (with the air gone and the bleed screw closed) it is likely toast. If you can get steady fuel to the bleed screw then close it (and the prime pump) and crack open each injector one by one and crank the engine over to bleed air between main pump and each injector - you should be able to see the air bubbles at each injector until steady fuel flow and no air. Sometimes this complete process has to be repeated until all air is gone. Like I said, it can be a real pain in the asx!

ordered some fuel primer stuff from ens industrial. they ordered me a primer and filter housing for a 1hz. will this work with my 1hdt?
image.jpg

calling @OGBeno? or any other diesel gurus

further to my issue i pulled my primer off and tested it manually. it does pump fuel (doesn’t necessarily mean it will under pressure though). i also cracked the fuel lines to 1 and 2 while turning it over and fuel does drip out. i also cracked the bleed screw at the pump and primed it. fuel came out so i pumped it until there were no air bubbles in it either. still no fire. i suppose it could still be fuel solenoid huh? i don’t see any leaking spots on the fuel lines from what i can see lying in the gravel under my truck but that’s not a perfect inspection. can the solenoid be taken off with the pump on the truck or does the pump have to come off?

i’m pretty new to the diesel stuff. keen to learn not afraid to try just green.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom