Transmission out of gear ..thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving along highway and felt engine rev up slightly like transmission put in neutral …laid off gas for a second and gently reapplied and seemed fine. Came to stoplight and took off and 3 seconds later came out again and would not move . No pop or sound . Reverse / low / 4wd /2wd tried all no difference . Confirmed fluid is full . No issues before , shifts great . 265k miles . Towed to local shop who is backed up for weeks before they can look at . Any thoughts on what might have caused ? I’ve had transmissions go out on other cars but always had issues before that told you it was going to go . Wondering if some linkage / other easy aspect I can look at . Appreciate any insight !

what year rig?

2WD? Did you try engaging center diff?

2WD? Did you try engaging center diff?
Yeah look at your cv axles and verify if the teeth haven't gone bad. The way to easily test this is put the car in low and lock the center diff. If it moves it means cv spines have gone bad and need to be replaced.

Something similar happened to me once as well. The cv splines gone to mush was the reason.

Here is my axle and drive plate that were free spinning as well as if tranny was toast. Probably just a symptom of 464k miles.

23C1AA5D-2845-4981-B764-0802980298DB.jpeg

Dang. That is crazy right there.
Actually I think I remember the PO did replace axles but years and years and miles and miles ago. The amazing part to me is the boot didn’t tear before the splines wore away.

Appreciate the replies. New trusted shop came back and the " front output shaft bearing " was stripped and needed a new transmission. Was hoping this was just a torque converter issue. $ 4243 for a used 80k unit with 18 month warranty installed. Half of what I paid for the cruiser 6 months ago so stings. Any thoughts on if that is a reasonable price? Sure there are transmission $ threads about to dive into .

That sounds way too high for a used unit. What gives you confidence that it's a 80k mile transmission? That would be extraordinarily rare for an old 4 speed. One should generally assume that a used transmission is "miles unknown".

Appreciate the replies. New trusted shop came back and the " front output shaft bearing " was stripped and needed a new transmission. Was hoping this was just a torque converter issue. $ 4243 for a used 80k unit with 18 month warranty installed. Half of what I paid for the cruiser 6 months ago so stings. Any thoughts on if that is a reasonable price? Sure there are transmission $ threads about to dive into .
You never posted the year. I'll assume you've 98-02. Finding one with only 80K on it is rare. In any case that is a lot for just a transmission, unless that includes labor.

Did you ever try engaging CDL?

2001 LC. That was quoted price with installation. I say " trusted shop" as its a friend of a friends that owns... so take that with grain of salt. Also had concerns of validity of mileage. Havent gotten that far going to reach out to some other local shops and do some research on used vs remanufactured here on threads.

You never posted the year. I'll assume you've 98-02. Finding one with only 80K on it is rare. In any case that is a lot for just a transmission, unless that includes labor.

Did you ever try engaging CDL?
Not familiar with CDL term if you dont mind schooling me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom